Have you or someone you know had Covid-19?

Genie

Have you or someone close to you had Covid-19  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had Covid-19?

• Yes, I have had a positive test
    • I haven’t had it but a close family member/friend/colleague/someone I know first hand has
    • No I have not had a positive test neither do I know a close friend/family member/colleague/someone I know first hand who has
    • I am fairly confident I have had it but did not do a test

The thing that makes it all so hard to comprehend is the seemingly randomness of which people are effected by it. If we knew that every person with x gene or a particular blood type would be really debilitated by Covid and everyone else would just suffer mild symptoms, we could just lock all of those folks up and do experiments on them until we found a vaccine (joke)

It's just the not knowing how it's going to effect anyone which means everyone has to lock down and abide by all of the rules. I'm completely sick of it myself and close to thinking oh f**k it - I just want to be normal again and get on with things. But my internal conflict is that I could have it and not be suffering but pass it on unknowingly to someone who dies from it.

Perhaps Mother Natures last stand against mankind to save herself will be a disease that through selfishness we kill ourselves with. Oh the irony.

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

chrisp65 's post highlights why. People can't wrap their head around big numbers. 

They can't comprehend that while 40,000 dead is a huge number when you're talking about people dying, it's a tiny number in terms of proportion of the population.

Yep. Or they look at it the other way by saying "Oh, but I have a 97% chance of NOT dying from it", without thinking about how many deaths that 3% actually represents. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yep. Or they look at it the other way by saying "Oh, but I have a 97% chance of NOT dying from it", without thinking about how many deaths that 3% actually represents. 

Absolutely spot on.

I've got a 1% chance of dying from it if there's no lockdown, so why are we bothering?

Well 1% of an entire country is a lot of people

• Like 1

I find the numbers really interesting. I know it’s a very small sample size buts it’s amazing to think in this incredibly connected world we live in about a quarter of people who voted don’t know a single person who has had the virus, and only 1 vote for a confirmed case.

I was shocked when my 2 relatives both told me they didn’t know a single person who’d had it but I guess it’s more normal than I thought. I only know of my uncle and his OH via a Facebook post. I don’t keep in touch with them.

Looking at the comments here rather than the numbers it seems like some people (depending on their day jobs) will know a lot of people who have had the virus. Then there’s people like me who generally work in an office environment that has worked from home since March not hearing of any confirmed cases. My father in law is an electrician contractor and brother in law is a plasterer, they’re in and out of homes, shops and building sites but weren’t aware of any cases.

It feels like if you’re going to catch it you’re far more likely to get it from work (care home, hospital, factory etc) than from recreational time but that is just my speculation. 

Note: for the avoidance of doubt I absolutely believe that coronavirus is real and is extremely dangerous and should be taken very seriously.

I've been surprised by the numbers as well, it's run rampant in my social circles. I almost certainly caught it at work from a guy that came in sick after his GF had just come back from China in March. A few people joked about it, but it still wasn't being taken seriously. A few people in the office had a week off sick within the next 2-3 weeks. 

The next stage for the government is to map out where people are picking the virus (as in the environment).

It seems pretty ridiculous to restrict groups to 6 outdoors when there is probably close to zero chance of transmission. Pubs full of pissed up people, hugging, shaking hands, kissing, fighting etc. Then you’ll have care homes allowing visitors multiple times every hour of every day, once it’s in the care home it’ll be multiple fatalities. This one size fits all approach is diabolical.

Is it too much to ask for a tailored response?

Edited by Genie

My mom and dad had it mid-April and confirmed by test (Dad asymptomatic, Mom had a temperature for a couple days). I’m sure I had it too - i was down in London for entire weekend of the League Cup final and the following week I lost my taste and smell. I was really lethargic for a week or so and it took a good month for my taste and smell to return. At the time the taste/smell wasn’t an official symptom so I kept going to work. I work in a small hospital where the average age of the patients in 70+. Dread to think how many people I passed it on to. 

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Assuming, in normal times, a commute twice a day, 5 days a week, you'd be killing at least 5 people a year on the road @bannedfromHandV. I'd probably get the bus. :D 

I’ve reduced it down to just 3 per year over recent years, I thought I was getting better at it ;) 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

The percentage is far far far far lower than that, how many people have you killed driving a car in your lifetime? This is the point

Yeah it probably is, I was just trying to find something that is a direct risk to others but which we find ‘acceptable’ enough to continue doing, though I probably failed.

Anyway, retracted the post because it’s not adding anything and I doubt anyone will agree with me.

5 hours ago, Genie said:

find the numbers really interesting. I know it’s a very small sample size buts it’s amazing to think in this incredibly connected world we live in about a quarter of people who voted don’t know a single person who has had the virus, and only 1 vote for a confirmed case.

I voted no I don't know anyone who's had it.

I know loads of people who say they've had it. But the vast majority of people didn't or weren't able to get tests.

16 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I voted no I don't know anyone who's had it.

I know loads of people who say they've had it. But the vast majority of people didn't or weren't able to get tests.

There’s a lot of people who were a bit ill at some point in the past 9 months and have assumed they had it, forgetting the plethora of other illnesses that share the same symptoms.

I don’t know anyone who’s had it, missus’ sister and brother in law said they had it but their tests came back negative, they still tell people they had it because they were poorly and lost their sense of taste/smell.

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

missus’ sister and brother in law said they had it but their tests came back negative, they still tell people they had it because they were poorly and lost their sense of taste/smell

I've heard this a considerable number of times and certainly early on March to May, the tests were actually a load of bollocks anyway and seemingly they still are

‘Rubbish’ Covid tests give unreliable results, says health director Jason Leitch

Tests used to detect Covid-19 are “a bit rubbish”, Scotland’s national clinical director has admitted.

Times

What if the tests were/are all complete bollocks?

Lets say you take a test every day for a month and 4 times it shows up as positive the rest being negative, I mean I’m sure they’ve done this kind of testing on the tests already but then, I can fully see a scenario where they wouldn’t have.

6 hours ago, Genie said:

I find the numbers really interesting. I know it’s a very small sample size buts it’s amazing to think in this incredibly connected world we live in about a quarter of people who voted don’t know a single person who has had the virus, and only 1 vote for a confirmed case.

I was shocked when my 2 relatives both told me they didn’t know a single person who’d had it but I guess it’s more normal than I thought. I only know of my uncle and his OH via a Facebook post. I don’t keep in touch with them.

Looking at the comments here rather than the numbers it seems like some people (depending on their day jobs) will know a lot of people who have had the virus. Then there’s people like me who generally work in an office environment that has worked from home since March not hearing of any confirmed cases. My father in law is an electrician contractor and brother in law is a plasterer, they’re in and out of homes, shops and building sites but weren’t aware of any cases.

It feels like if you’re going to catch it you’re far more likely to get it from work (care home, hospital, factory etc) than from recreational time but that is just my speculation. 

Note: for the avoidance of doubt I absolutely believe that coronavirus is real and is extremely dangerous and should be taken very seriously.

Out of 50 responses on here, 2% of people have had covid? I think the official line is 0.6% of the UK population. Lies, Damn Lies .....

• Haha 1

On 13/09/2020 at 13:44, mjmooney said:

Still don't know if what the wife and I had - persisting right through December, January and February - was COVID or not. She certainly lost taste and smell, I didn't notice that so much, but I had a big loss of appetite, and felt generally awful. 

Wish my missus would loose her sense of taste, 🤔

Â