Have you or someone you know had Covid-19?

Genie

Have you or someone close to you had Covid-19  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had Covid-19?

• Yes, I have had a positive test
    • I haven’t had it but a close family member/friend/colleague/someone I know first hand has
    • No I have not had a positive test neither do I know a close friend/family member/colleague/someone I know first hand who has
    • I am fairly confident I have had it but did not do a test

This comes from a conversation I had last night with my brother in law and father in law.

They both said that they still didn’t know anybody who had actually had the virus. I know only my uncle and his wife had it some months ago but nobody else.

I’ve not seen anyone with a confirmed case on VT or at the place here I work (big company).

I just wanted to put it out there as a poll, have you had it? Or know a close friend or family member that has... or none at all?

Edited by Genie

I’ll just start by saying the population of the UK is 67,000,000

So far there have been less than 370,000 cases in the UK, or by my quick maths, that roughly 0.5%

If it were distributed equally, I think you should know of 1 case for every 200 people you know.

If 100 VTers answer your poll, you could easily get a zero for positive tests.

I know several confirmed cases, off the top of my head, about 4 or 5 confirmed. This includes 1 person I directly work with, my partner’s boss, 1 friend from book club and a close relative of a good friend. Without having to think too hard.

This might actually be a poll of how many people do you know and how well do you know them.

Also, the dead will find it difficult to respond.

I did wonder how long until someone says the poll is wrong, or the wording is wrong 😏

There is no hidden agenda, I’m not trying to prove a conspiracy. 

It was just born out of curiosity that apart from my uncle none of us knew anyone else who’d tested positive which in in 9/10 months of there being a pandemic felt quite surprising.

If someone knows someone who died of it it they can tick the second option.

Edited by Genie

Just now, Genie said:

I did wonder how long until someone says the poll is wrong, or the wording is wrong 😏

There is no hidden agenda, I’m not trying to prove a conspiracy. 

It was just born out of curiosity that apart from my uncle none of us knew anyone else who’d tested positive which in in 9/10 months of there being a pandemic felt quite surprising.

No, not wrong.

Just stats, innit.

I don’t know anyone that died in the holocaust and I’ve never met anyone that’s been shot.

I voted 'no' on the basis of 'close friend or relative'. But my next door neighbour had a positive test, with (relatively) mild symptoms, so perhaps I should have voted differently. 

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Luckily that has absolutely nothing to do with this poll but thanks for sharing.

It has everything to do with it. I use that comparison all the time when arguing with people who claim the virus is either a hoax or massively exaggerated. If you don't personally know anyone who's been killed in a road traffic accident, do you therefore conclude that nobody is actually dying on the roads? The stats are out there for all to see, don't trust anecdotal 'evidence'. 

That's not to say I'm not interested in the results of this VT poll, I am. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It has everything to do with it. I use that comparison all the time when arguing with people who claim the virus is either a hoax or massively exaggerated. If you don't personally know anyone who's been killed in a road traffic accident, do you therefore conclude that nobody is actually dying on the roads? The stats are out there for all to see, don't trust anecdotal 'evidence'. 

That's not to say I'm not interested in the results of this VT poll, I am. 

This is the important bit. People shouldn’t jump to the conclusion that this is some sort of tool to build a conspiracy theory which seems to have happened.

Please take the poll for what it is.

18 minutes ago, Xann said:

Loads. She's a community nurse. Around half of them got it.

Boris Brexit ducking PPE.

My missus was sharing a workspace at the start with the district nursing team. 16 of 17 got it. Concur on the PPE

Yet the idiotic office manager thought it was neccessary for my missus to keep going to work...

Her doctor thought they were insane... 2 months off on full pay with stress. Lo and behold, they found her a new workspace in a different building... eventually

• Like 1

There was no testing when i (almost certainly) had it in early Feb. Most of my team had significant symptoms between Jan and April. Only one was tested,  was positive and was off work for over 3 weeks. I don't think I caught it from any of them but picked it up on a business trip to Paris (the timing fits much better). I don't appear to have passed it on to anyone else - I worked from home for two weeks after recovery and no-one I spent time with has been symptomatic.

We've had significant confirmed cases amongst the wider workforce. People have been referred for testing after body temperature scanners detected fever temperatures on entry.

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

You also need an option for know shitloads of people who've had it but none are close friends or family

I amended the wording to capture colleagues. 
Really the intention of that option was people we trust first hand. Not a friend of a friend kind of scenario.

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

I amended the wording to capture colleagues. 
Really the intention of that option was people we trust first hand. Not a friend of a friend kind of scenario.

Mine aren't colleagues they effectively are customers

Â