Emiliano Martínez

hippo

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Nobody is saying sell now. People are criticising his theatrics and the fact that he’s blatantly ignoring Unai’s instructions. I could only imagine how livid he would have been seeing him run up for the like that. The best case scenario is that he actually listens to Unai moving forward. We don’t want a situation where there’s more tensions. I think the possibility of cashing in remains slim, but it’s ultimately Unai’s call, and only if we find a top quality replacement. 

I don’t think it’s slim at all. Martinez will want to leave, he’s already alluded to that. Of course, we’ll play hardball and try to get a big fee for him but if the player doesn’t want to be here, it’s not always beneficial to keep them. I doubt Martinez appreciated the way the club dealt with the Cutler situation either (could be wrong). 

No way Martinez will want to be here next season in my opinion, and why would he. He’s one of the best in the world and he’ll want to win trophies, just like Grealish did I’m afraid. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

Either Emi knuckles down or we are going to cash in. We were linked with Bono (Morocco Keeper) so I think it’s a fluid situation atm. 

That’s what it feels like. Either way, we hold all the cards should the need to sell arise. 

The Argentinian Alpay Özalan :D  Kidding of course but I would be surprised if he's a Villa player next season.

Think he want's a move and CL football, think there will be clubs at that level that want's him and I think Emery and Villa will be happy to cash in.

Just now, sne said:

The Argentinian Alpay Özalan :D  Kidding of course but I would be surprised if he's a Villa player next season.

Think he want's a move and CL football, think there will be clubs at that level that want's him and I think Emery and Villa will be happy to cash in.

There will be lots of clubs that want him obviously. But how many top clubs want goalkeepers that aren’t great with their feet these days?

*Puts tin hat on*
I don’t think he has ever consistently emulated his 20/21 form for us, and is not strong enough with his feet to play out from the back the way that Unai Emery wants us to. I’m not saying that he has been poor by any means, but the number of top class saves he makes in that first season dwarfs the numbers made in the 18 months since.

I think if we can get £50m for him in the summer, we’d be fools not to sell.

I love his character, but there seems to be a bit of a disconnect right now and it’s growing, it’s probably best for all parties if a parting of the ways occurs at the end of the season, I’m sure we will be able to find a suitable replacement.

Crikey, talk about going from hero to zero. I’m on the hunt for a new signature pic.

I thought his decision to go up for the corner yesterday was pretty dumb, particularly since it was clear the team had no strategy to deal with a counterattack.

2 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

*Puts tin hat on*
I don’t think he has ever consistently emulated his 20/21 form for us, and is not strong enough with his feet to play out from the back the way that Unai Emery wants us to. I’m not saying that he has been poor by any means, but the number of top class saves he makes in that first season dwarfs the numbers made in the 18 months since.

I think if we can get £50m for him in the summer, we’d be fools not to sell.

I love his character, but there seems to be a bit of a disconnect right now and it’s growing, it’s probably best for all parties if a parting of the ways occurs at the end of the season, I’m sure we will be able to find a suitable replacement.

His hospital passes that cost us goals when playing out from the back haven’t gone unnoticed. I hope he can improve those if he intends to stay. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Literally the things people have been complaining about for a while now the gaffer has publicly called it out so it's not that ridiculous.

You're right we've been complaining for ages about him going up for all those corners. 

• Haha 4

People will be surprised just how hard to replace he will be if he goes.  I think we wouldn't have won a couple of those 5 games we've won under Emery without him in goal, plus he was skipper for most of them.  We have a pretty awful track record when it comes to keepers.  I'd do anything it takes to try and keep him.

Come on, we're Villa fans. We know Emi's aura / reputation is much bigger than what he produces consistently on the pitch for us. IF a club came in with a big offer we would sell and reinvest the money. We need an experienced ball playing GK. Emi is a shot stopped and brilliant at it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

There will be lots of clubs that want him obviously. But how many top clubs want goalkeepers that aren’t great with their feet these days?

Yeah he's no Neuer that's for sure. But he'll be less exposed with better ball playing defenders around him and with guys who will chew his head off if he's too casual on the ball. Mings or Konsa are not gonna call him out for it but Thiago Silva and guys like him will.

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

That's not the issue. It’s the constant time wasting

Starting to think he has an invite to Neymar's sisters birthday party and is trying to rack up enough yellow cards so he'll be suspended from playing when it's kicking off.

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Come on, we're Villa fans. We know Emi's aura / reputation is much bigger than what he produces consistently on the pitch for us. IF a club came in with a big offer we would sell and reinvest the money. We need an experienced ball playing GK. Emi is a shot stopped and brilliant at it. 

Exactly. If we polled now I’m sure 99% would stick with him. For all his qualities, his footwork and time wasting tactics are working to his detriment. I feel like with some of the headed goals we’ve conceded he might have done better. His flaws are being exposed but it doesn’t stop him being one of the best in the world still. Nor should we refrain from criticisms of his play. I hope he stays, but if he does leave, there’s nobody I trust more than Unai to find us quality replacements. 

24 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Either Emi knuckles down or we are going to cash in. We were linked with Bono (Morocco Keeper) so I think it’s a fluid situation atm. 

I think the message has to be to Emi we're going to do this with or without you...

Spoiler

sorry.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Exactly. If we polled now I’m sure 99% would stick with him. For all his qualities, his footwork and time wasting tactics are working to his detriment. I feel like with some of the headed goals we’ve conceded he might have done better. His flaws are being exposed but it doesn’t stop him being one of the best in the world still. Nor should we refrain from criticisms of his play. I hope he stays, but if he does leave, there’s nobody I trust more than Unai to find us quality replacements. 

I think his profile in the last month has increased that the media will be quick to jump on his back. If this happened pre World Cup it wouldnt be a big talking point

• Like 1

Â