Emiliano Martínez

hippo

33 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I wouldn’t be all that concerned about selling Emi for big money IF…

1. Our history with signing goalkeepers wasn’t so poor.

2. We hadn’t wasted the Grealish money like we did. 

I love Martinez. His command of the box, his athleticism and his ability to read situations is second to maybe only one or two other goalkeepers in the world. He truly is world class. BUT. He isn’t all that great at passing out from the back. Not poor by any means. Probably above average even, but a new keeper could benefit us if we continue playing like we are in that regard. 

Like I say though, I have grave reservations about how Lange and Purslow will spend the money given I think they’re quite poor in the transfer market. Time will tell. For what it’s worth, I do think he’ll leave this Summer so probably best to prepare yourselves!

Surely Heaton and Emi were back to back good signings. Both a lot better than the average level of our team at the time they were signed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Surely Heaton and Emi were back to back good signings. Both a lot better than the average level of our team at the time they were signed. 

Fair point. But I’ll raise you Olsen, Kalinic, Nyland (wonder save vs. Sheff Utd aside).

Might have already been posted but saw this article from Tom Collomosse. I wouldn't be too disappointed if the club sold him in the summer as long as its a good fee. His reputation is high at the moment off the back of a world cup and his on a long term contract so the club are in a good position to command a big big fee for him. 

As soon as he won the world cup his profile got too big for us to probably keep hold of him. That's modern football for you. He thankfully signed a big contract recently so if he did leave we would get a big fee for him. But we will still end up selling our best players before we can get to the place we want to be.

I can see it being a Coutinho moment at Liverpool, use the huge fee to rebuild the squad to push for Europe. 

As long as we don’t blow it like we did with the Grealish cash. 

I like Emi but it might be the right time cash in, something I know Villa is a bit allergic too. 

I think he's off. But I also think we can replace him relatively well for substantially less than we will recieve. If, and it's a monumental if, we spend the money from him wisely across the squad, (something we didn't do with Jack money), this could be a net benefit for us. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I think we'll get one more season from Martínez.

This will confirm once again Villa are miles off winning anything and he will go to a team capable of competing.

Teams can sell their best players, and go on to compete, if they recruit wisely with the money brought in. It's happened before, we just don't do it very well. Hopefully we have learned our lessons.

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Fair point. But I’ll raise you Olsen, Kalinic, Nyland (wonder save vs. Sheff Utd aside).

Yes but what did you expect? Two were signed in the championship, the other was a 3m number 2 . Tom Heaton didn’t want to play second fiddle to Martinez so I’m a bit puzzled why you think we’d sign a reserve keeper of quality.

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I’m very relaxed. If we sell it’s because Unai thinks it’s worth the fee or that we can sign a quality replacement like Unai Simon. Not a bad position to be in. 

Yeah, we won't sell him for a value less than we want to and we won't sell him if there isn't a replacement sourced at the same time. We sold Jack but had worked on the other deals in Ings and Bailey at the same time. 

I assume if a club indicates they'll meet our asking price we then see if we can get one of I'd say 3/4 players on our shortlist to replace him

We then look at the total deal. Money we sell for money we pay and the relative performance difference between Emi and new keeper. Then decide if we go ahead 

I think we might need to sell him if a very good club comes calling. If we want to want to progress, we need to buy players that are better than our current position. To do that weve got to be a springboard for their careers as well. If we dig in over someone like Emi and dont allow him to move to a significantly better placed team that gives him the chance of winning the champions league, other players would take notice.

Ideal situation is that we can show him the ambition, not just tell him about it.

41 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Teams can sell their best players, and go on to compete, if they recruit wisely with the money brought in. It's happened before, we just don't do it very well. Hopefully we have learned our lessons.

It's never happened with us. 

Sadly, we've always been a selling club and never re-invested!!!

Regardless, we'll see what happens in the summer with our ambitious owners.

5 hours ago, imavillan said:

We literally reinvested every penny of the Jack money. We just didn't invest it very well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, imavillan said:

Every club is a selling club. Real Madrid and Barca aside.

9 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Sell your best players. Don't progress. That's the problem. 

Spot on, however the good news is that we now have an elite manager pulling the strings. We have under NSWE always reinvested any fees, hopefully now we’re in a position to reinvest it more effectively. 

Â