Emiliano Martínez

hippo

5 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Emi can do no wrong in some people's eyes but his performances have been average at best for a long time and that post from him is poor. So so poor.

Its poor it that I'm not sure why he had to make it

In terms of what he says there's not a lot wrong with it IMO

Maybe the club want to sell him. If he doesn't fit Unai's style of play, I can see why.

I love Emi the all round package but he's not irreplaceable as a keeper.

Sell him while his stock is high, make a huge profit to reinvest. 

I'm not saying I want to but can see the logic.

• Like 2

If you can’t keep hold of your local, boy hood fan whilst on an upwards trajectory, what real chance do we have with any other player? 

Martinez deserves to test himself at the highest level, and if we can’t match that there should be no hard feelings on him looking to achieve that else where. Whilst it’s understandable it comes at the detriment to us we would receive enough and more to be able to sufficiently replace him and potentially strengthen elsewhere. 

Not that I want him to leave, but neither would I begrudge him if he does. He’s give is all to us, has promoted us on international duties, and I’ll continue to enjoy it all whilst it lasts. 

• Like 1

The prices some people are throwing around are pretty hilarious. Kepa and Alisson both went for approx £70m a few years ago and had had literally one or two seasons playing at the top and had won nothing like Martinez has done. The only thing they had over him was they were a few years younger but Martinez still has 5-10 years left at the top.

I'd say Martinez is in the top 5 goalkeepers in the world currently and after being key to Argentina winning the Copa America and the World Cup and having four years left on his contract this summer why on Earth would we sell him on the cheap? Personally I'd be disappointed with anything less than £80m and even then I'd argue we could demand more. 

Some sensible posters have said that in summer 2025 maybe when his contract will be running down we would accept something like £40m but not now, there is absolutely no reason to. Obviously you wouldn't want him to kick up a fuss and have an unhappy player but that doesn't mean we should accept a low offer for our best player, that's ridiculous. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tony said:

If you can’t keep hold of your local, boy hood fan whilst on an upwards trajectory, what real chance do we have with any other player? 

This is it, I don’t expect any loyalty from any player nowadays. Except the rubbish ones, they’re always happy to stay around 🤣

42 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Apart from Man Utd and perhaps Chelsea I’m not sure who else will a) be in for him and b) have the funds to pay what we want. I would expect £60 million being the minimum. 

And he did say a team that’s likely to win the champions league, Chelsea nor Man Utd won’t be winning that competition soon.

24 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

And he did say a team that’s likely to win the champions league, Chelsea nor Man Utd won’t be winning that competition soon.

I think that was edited in some translations for effect. He wants to win Champions League not just compete in it, he already did that at Arsenal

2 hours ago, Leeroy said:

I'd say Martinez is in the top 5 goalkeepers in the world currently and after being key to Argentina winning the Copa America and the World Cup and having four years left on his contract this summer why on Earth would we sell him on the cheap?

Well he is in the top 3, judging by the shortlist for goalkeeper of the year.

While I'm sure Emi will want to make sure the club get a fair price for him, I read somewhere that his contract includes a clause if an elite champion's league club came in for him. That will determine the price we can sell him for and it was agreed before the world Cup. As his stock has risen since then it might be more difficult to get a fee which is reflective of his current value. 

I also agree with some on here who think he will be gone this summer or next at the latest. 

Edited by Made In Aston

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

Well he is in the top 3, judging by the shortlist for goalkeeper of the year.

While I'm sure Emi will want to make sure the club get a fair price for him, I read somewhere that his contract includes a clause if an elite champion's league club came in for him. That will determine the price we can sell him for and it was agreed before the world Cup. As his stock has risen since then it might be more difficult to get a fee which is reflective of his current value. 

I also agree with some on here who think he will be gone this summer or next at the latest. 

Can you include the source for that please as I've not actually seen that? I imagine it was probably agreed well before the World Cup when he signed a new 5 year contract about a year ago. 

If that is the case then yes not much we can do about the price if there is a buyout clause from an elite CL club, but I would imagine it would be pretty high as Grealish's was £100m so we wouldn't agree to something low. 

It would also rule out teams like Chelsea if they, as is looking likely, fail to get top 4 this season. So we can probably be fairly relaxed about the situation.

36 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I’d be pretty tempted to sell. He’s off the boil, he’s going to want to move eventually and we are never going to get more money for him than now. 

He was utterly, utterly dominant against Wolves not 3 games ago.

Another one who thinks he’s too big for the Club!  I’m sick to the back teeth of the likes of Martinez who think they are above us!  Let him join his mate at PSG.  How many Champions Leagues have the won Emi?  Get rid at the best price possible!!!

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, AVFCGB said:

Another one who thinks he’s too big for the Club!  I’m sick to the back teeth of the likes of Martinez who think they are above us!  Let him join his mate at PSG.  How many Champions Leagues have the won Emi?  Get rid at the best price possible!!!

giphy.gif

Â