Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Sad news.

Took us 10+ years to find a great keeper.   Still can’t find a decent second keeper. 

If and when he goes, we’ll waste another £50-100m buying and selling keepers for another 10 years until we find someone good enough again.

5 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Don’t worry folks I got this

9C3C90DD-07FD-4201-9442-F8D7D31B9A5C.jpeg

oliwier zych has started getting mentioned a bit lately on social media. the guy's only 18 but is like 6'4 and doing very well for the u21s. another clean sheet tonight. maybe one to watch

16 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

No club can realistically pay for him so I’m very relaxed 

Unai Simon would be my choice replacement 

Chelsea can 

Edit: just realised Chelsea likely won’t even be in the champions league next year 

Edited by IrishVilla10

He speaks truth doesn't he, this summer has to be a very big one transfer wise with real quality coming in for a European push or there will be pressure for several of our best players to move on not just Emi. We have the manager now, he needs to be completely supported with top quality signings coming in to push us into European qualification places. There is no more 5 year plan, there is no more excuses, it's time to put the cash down and get the quality in, or in reality it is never going to happen. So for me Emi is just speaking truth, time to put up or shut up I suppose.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

if he were to leave, what do ppl honestly think we would get for him?

I know some people will band around £70m+, but i just dont see it, there are only 2 GK transfers over the 50m mark (Alisson & Buffon), then there was the Kepa deal which was just mental levels of stupid.

Realistically, somewhere in the 40-45m bracket?

The top keepers hardly ever move, Buffon was 32m back in 2001.

If we got 40m for him we would have been raped.

Anything less than 70m is a joke for him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

No club can realistically pay for him so I’m very relaxed 

Unai Simon would be my choice replacement 

I think Simon is goo too, also Mamardashvili (hope I spelt that right) who plays for Valencia.

Diogo Costa at Porto is good as well but it's portugal and it would take a big fee, I'd rather buy from a competitive league.

If Everton go down Pickford would be an obvious target too.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ender4 said:

Sad news.

Took us 10+ years to find a great keeper.   Still can’t find a decent second keeper. 

If and when he goes, we’ll waste another £50-100m buying and selling keepers for another 10 years until we find someone good enough again.

Highly unlikely 

7 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Similarly to others, kinda relaxed about this.

Emi has 4 years left on his contract, we’re in a very strong position (provided there’s not a release clause I’m unaware of). 

Completely agree.  It’s highly unlikely he leaves in the summer and if he does it’ll be for a huge fee.  We are in such a strong position I’m relaxed about it.  I think he’ll be here next season.

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Completely agree.  It’s highly unlikely he leaves in the summer and if he does it’ll be for a huge fee.  We are in such a strong position I’m relaxed about it.  I think he’ll be here next season.

Why do you think it’s highly unlikely? He’s politely making his position clear, we are not even near where he wants to play. If he continues to have a good season his stock will never be higher, selling him for good money would probably actually the right thing to do, sad as it is.

Id prefer him to stay but I don’t want a Jack situation where he’s had his head turned and we ruin an entire transfer window trying to persuade him to stay. 

If he wants to go, and someone meets the demands (release clause maybe?) then he’ll have to go, just hope the club have made proper plans around a replacement and no knee jerk signings.

We're always talking about buying unestablished players, developing the, and selling them for lots of money. Martinez is the perfect example.

He'll go for more than 75 million. Excellent work by the club - we all know in our heart of hearts he's not that amazing. He's very good but not irreplaceable. 

He doesn't play very well with the ball at his feet and he's a bit of a nutcase.

Â