Emiliano Martínez

hippo

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

They have two pretty good keepers already

They had 2 good players in every position still didn’t stop them 🤣 but in all seriousness I get where you’re coming from but nothing would surprise me.

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It's the age old problem. Owners and fans want to get in champions League but the better  players won't stay long enough to get us there.

So we can't get there.

would have given this a like...but i don't like it

exactly this...sadly we will never catch or be part of the elite

as soon as we get anyone decent...they will either want away for the so called glamour, or someone will come in just to break the team up

Martinez seems to be next....after that it will be Kamara as someone will come knocking the door

• Haha 1

Always likely once he'd won the world cup.

We just don't have the pull to keep him. At least in terms of winning things. 

He's had the taste of winning and rightly wants more. 

We say thank you. Sell. Get decent money. Move on. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Where too? Italian teams can’t afford him. Only Spanish teams that could don’t need keepers, PSG don’t need one. And none of the big 6 do either. Bayern might, can’t see them paying the money we’d want.

United or Chelsea I think

Similarly to others, kinda relaxed about this.

Emi has 4 years left on his contract, we’re in a very strong position (provided there’s not a release clause I’m unaware of). 

If there is no release clause, I think we’re talking record transfer for a keeper money. He’s arguably the highest profile player we’ve ever had. 

Realistically we’re unlikely to replace him with a keeper of equal ability, but if we sold our 10/10 keeper and bought an 8/10 keeper and one or two 8/10 outfield players to improve the team, I’m ok with it.

Basically do what we attempted to do with Grealish. Now we all know our opinions on how that turned out, but I have faith Emery will ensure a high level of quality control in that regard.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

With Emery talking today about a 2/3 year plan for Europe it makes sense to cash in on him in the summer and invest in a younger keeper, someone better with his feet would transform the team imo 

Yes we may as well. We can command a huge fee for him. Clubs will pay it good keepers are hard to find. Can see utd if the qataris buy them coming in for him.

We might not find a keeper as good but i think we can find a keeper thats close for a smaller figure and then spend big on the team.

Ill be sad to see emi go though

1 hour ago, MSvillain said:

For all we know the question was “do you want to test yourself in the Champions League?” and therefore his answer is absolutely reasonable 

There's an additional quote where he says:

" I would like to do it with Aston Villa but the club is in a growth phase ", I won the most beautiful Title of all time with the national team, and now i'm aiming for the most important club title "

For me that translates to " I love Villa but they aren't at Champions League level yet so i'd like to go somewhere I can compete in the Champions League with a chance of winning it "

There isn't a riddle there lol.

Anyway, i'd prefer if he went to another League, but as others have said, get a fat fee.

With getting to realise how these things work, his people have most likely already been contacted by clubs with a view to the summer.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

if he were to leave, what do ppl honestly think we would get for him?

I know some people will band around £70m+, but i just dont see it, there are only 2 GK transfers over the 50m mark (Alisson & Buffon), then there was the Kepa deal which was just mental levels of stupid.

Realistically, somewhere in the 40-45m bracket?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

22 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Realistically we’re unlikely to replace him with a keeper of equal ability,

Might be controversial here, but i'm not sure i 100 percent agree.

Like Jack, I think a combo of his " star quality " ( Plus now obviously being a WC winner ), personality and influence in the dressing room might exaggerate his actual ability as a keeper.

Don't get me wrong he's outstanding but he does have his shortcomings as well.

There are many good keepers about IMO.

As someone above noted, especially ones better at playing with feet.

Emis edge is the mental gymnastics and shithousery, which they want to change rules on anyway lol.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It's the age old problem. Owners and fans want to get in champions League but the better  players won't stay long enough to get us there.

So we can't get there.

Tbf Emi is 30. We're not getting in the CL anytime soon unfortunately. We may have an elite manager but the competition is fierce.

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Unai simon of athletic bilbao looks a quality keeper every time ive seen him. Also younger than emi in his mid 20s. If emi goes he would be a excellent replacement in my opinion 

Yes and Remiro at Sociedad another option. Wonder what their release clause are.

19 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

if he were to leave, what do ppl honestly think we would get for him?

I know some people will band around £70m+, but i just dont see it, there are only 2 GK transfers over the 50m mark (Alisson & Buffon), then there was the Kepa deal which was just mental levels of stupid.

Realistically, somewhere in the 40-45m bracket?

No way his value has only doubled since we signed him, especially with the length of his contract.  I'd expect close to a world record keeper fee if Urinal come running with Qatari money.  It'd be such a shame because there is zero chance we will get a better keeper, just like with replacing Jack.

He’ll almost definitely leave this summer so I guess it’s just about getting the right fee for him now. 

Would be nice to replace him with someone good and have money left over to invest in another position. Which we should be able to do given he is one of the best goalkeepers in the world. 

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Might be controversial here, but i'm not sure i 100 percent agree.

Like Jack, I think a combo of his " star quality " ( Plus now obviously being a WC winner ), personality and influence in the dressing room might exaggerate his actual ability as a keeper.

Don't get me wrong he's outstanding but he does have his shortcomings as well.

There are many good keepers about IMO.

As someone above noted, especially ones better at playing with feet.

Emis edge is the mental gymnastics and shithousery, which they want to change rules on anyway lol.

Yeah, fair enough we might replace him with someone who doesn’t make ME (a layman) think he’s as good as Martinez - he might not appear to be as big a presence to my eyes, or there might not be as many miraculous point blank saves which astound everyone.

But the replacement could also be better than Emi in other ways, skill sets that Unai considers important for how he wants to play.

• Like 2

No doubt he has been brilliant for our club. No doubt he is a world class goalkeeper. No doubt he is an attractive acquisition to major teams. I accept he has a current cv that few if any can match. Because of this he is a massive asset for our club and therefore we should maximise that when we sell him.. But on the other side of the coin if he played for another team the vast majority of our fans would think he was a prick because of his cheating behaviour ( we call it shithousery because he is one of our own it’s ok) From now on it’s obvious he  sees his future elsewhere. We’ve missed the transfer window ( he chose to wait for it to close before talking about leaving ) So let’s hope he keeps performing for the rest of the season and look forward to our next first choice keeper.

• Like 1

Â