Emiliano Martínez

hippo

36 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Missing the point there though.

Not really. The age threshold for goalkeepers to peak is much higher than outfield, Emi is a physical specimen and could easily play another 10 years at the top level, so long as nothing untoward happens (fingers crossed). Buying him now will be a very expensive prospect for anyone. He should rightly cost as much or more as a young talent being purchased for their potential.

33 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree. Nobody is offering anywhere near that. Close to 50-60m bids is possible but I still think unlikely.  Of course I could be totally wrong about that. 

43 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I'm just saying to think we'd get anywhere near offers of £100m for him is unlikely (in my opinion).

i agree with both of you on this, but I would figure that the club won't think this is close to their valuation of him, especially after signing a new deal recently. 

15 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I think Bayern could be looking for a new keeper, neuers just had a bad injury and will be 37 when he returns. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were interested in the summer 

they have to be looking for a new one (obviously with the Neuer injury) but it feels like he wouldn't fit their style + the asking price would be pretty huge when there are cheaper alternatives 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Not really. The age threshold for goalkeepers to peak is much higher than outfield, Emi is a physical specimen and could easily play another 10 years at the top level, so long as nothing untoward happens (fingers crossed). Buying him now will be a very expensive prospect for anyone. He should rightly cost as much or more as a young talent being purchased for their potential.

Its more like 5 years. Its quite rare for a PL club’s main keeper to be above 35 years old.

In the past 5 pl seasons, I can find only 2 keepers have been their club’s main keeper and been above 35 (Fabianski and Foster). 

edit: I forgot about Reina. I think he was about 36 when he played for us. Not sure if we should count him considering he was kind of like an emergency loan.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

Any valuation of Emi by the club, whether it be £60m or £100m will be to warn off any potential suiters.  The club have no reason to sell, and the player is on a long contract.

Unless Emi hands in a transfer request, the club can request £100m.  He might not be worth that, but clubs either pay it or be told to piss off.

Grealish was worth about £50m max, his release clause was inserted as it was thought nobody would pay it, they did, and the rest is History.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Its more like 5 years. Its quite rare for a PL club’s main keeper to be above 35 years old.

In the past 5 pl seasons, I can find only 2 keepers have been their club’s main keeper and been above 35 (Fabianski and Foster). 

edit: I forgot about Reina. I think he was about 36 when he played for us. Not sure if we should count him considering he was kind of like an emergency loan.

Didn't Friedel play for us and then Spurs well beyond 35?

Emi is worth £125m for his mentality alone. The guy is a monster. He’s keeping has dipped a bit this season but he’s injured is he not? 

£200 million minimum that’s just for his gloves. In other words **** off he’s not for sale. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Throwing the ball away and chatting shit to an unassuming 22 year old kid, then acting the gentleman after it all consoling people. Didn't sit right with me.

I think you maybe following the wrong game, this sort of thing has existed at every level in every game probably since football started but certainly since the 80s and onwards as I've heard and seen it even at the very low level I played at.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, picicata said:

I think you maybe following the wrong game, this sort of thing has existed at every level in every game probably since football started but certainly since the 80s and onwards as I've heard and seen it even at the very low level I played at.

The fact that it's prevalent doesn't make it right !

• Like 1

I can see why Martinez is hated for what he does. It's a lack of sportsmanship for sure and crosses the border. But it's in the law of the game and it's up to the laws to be changed and the ref to act. You need big balls to do it! And he's got them, he would do anything to win for his country and for Messi, he don't care about his image or people liking him, he just cares about winning for his country. He's a national hero! It's good to see. He's a fighter. 

This is why Football is the greatest sport on earth. 

6 minutes ago, messi11 said:

I can see why Martinez is hated for what he does. It's a lack of sportsmanship for sure and crosses the border. But it's in the law of the game and it's up to the laws to be changed and the ref to act. You need big balls to do it! And he's got them, he would do anything to win for his country and for Messi, he don't care about his image or people liking him, he just cares about winning for his country. He's a national hero! It's good to see. He's a fighter. 

This is why Football is the greatest sport on earth. 

You are right. The refs should take more control. For example, they should be the ones holding the ball and giving it to the taker.

Any messing around from the keeper, book them, they won't continue doing it then will they.

• Like 1

ITT I learn @Tom13 is Simon Jordan

“Martinez’s actions, I thought it was cheating, the holding of the ball and throwing it the other way,” he told talkSPORT.

“The goalkeeper’s actions, I don’t think it was gamesmanship, I don’t think it’s part of the game, I think it’s cheating.

He later added: “For a referee to allow the goalkeeper to manipulate the circumstances, to heighten the pressure, to increase it, I think was one of the shortcomings in that moment in time.”

UNSAVOURY 

‘It wasn’t gamesmanship’ – Simon Jordan claims Emiliano Martinez was cheating with penalty shootout antics in Argentina’s World Cup final win over France

https://talksport.com/football/1281407/

Just now, Aston_Villan4 said:

ITT I learn @Tom13 is Simon Jordan

“Martinez’s actions, I thought it was cheating, the holding of the ball and throwing it the other way,” he told talkSPORT.

“The goalkeeper’s actions, I don’t think it was gamesmanship, I don’t think it’s part of the game, I think it’s cheating.

He later added: “For a referee to allow the goalkeeper to manipulate the circumstances, to heighten the pressure, to increase it, I think was one of the shortcomings in that moment in time.”

https://talksport.com/football/1281407/

Simon Jordan, love him or hate him, speaks sense 99% of the time, so thank you.

• Confused 2

Â