Emiliano Martínez

hippo

6 hours ago, Tom13 said:

🤣 not hating with that post, I still rate him. Just thought the fear of a load of clubs suddenly coming in for him might be slightly overblown.

It is. Great keeper but more a big game player than a world beater. I don’t think there’s a team out there that can afford him that need a keeper right now.  Maybe Atletico but I honestly don’t think he’d wanna uproot his family now they are settled. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I disagree. Ok one or two goals conceded you’d expect him to save but his general play has been awesome.  The amount of time he has come out and claimed balls in to the box has been a joy to watch. Non of this punching business.  Then you have great last minute one on one saves against Holland and France. Then 2 key penalty shoot outs.

I get you have keepers that made more saves but that’s because they had so much work to do. The best keepers are the ones that don’t not have much to do in a game and then make unbelievable almost match winning saves in key moments.

He made some big saves but Argentina conceded 8 goals in the tournament. Its probably the most a winning team has ever conceded

Livakovic probably deserved it more

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Have to say really happy for him that he won the tournament but absolutely no way he deserved the Golden Glove

He deserves it for the save which took them into extra time. Huge, game changing moment. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, The_Steve said:

This. Means. Everything.

The only thing that would come close would be him helping Villa win a CL final imo. I think us and his country will be the two biggest professional loves of his life no matter what happens in future. He may go on to glory at another club eventually, but we have been absolutely pivotal in this moment for him. Neil Cutler, take a bow. 

• Like 1

Couldn’t be happier for Emi. Tinged with a bit of sadness because he’s on the radar of some of the worlds top clubs. I think we’re going to really struggle to keep hold of him now.

He’s one of the few players we’ve had over the last 20 years who you could describe as genuinely world class. We’ve given him a shot and he’s grabbed it with both hands (no pun intended!). Proud he plays for my club and the part we’ve played in nurturing his talent.

I don’t think he is the best goalkeeper in the world BUT some people, non-Villa fans, do. When was the last time we had a player who any non-Villa fan might say “oh yes he is perhaps the best in the world in his position.” McGrath?

41 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Croatia won 2 shoot outs and he saved more penalties

Doesn’t matter. Nobody remembers that. Emi is just as responsible for their win as Messi and should be recognised as such. 

Plus he gave us the most iconic World Cup photo too 😉 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

That's a ridiculous save from Coutinho. Said it before but he has that Bosnich like ability to wait until player is about to kick and then spring halfway across the goal.

It's actually a surprise he hasn't saved that many penalties for us since he joined. Can remember one on his debut and then Palace earlier this season but Zaha tapped in the rebound.

However as we saw tonight if he goes the right way it needs to be a really well placed and powerful shot as he nearly saved two of the Mbappe ones.

It’s because of the rules where they have to keep their foot on the line until the kicker strikes. Had that not been the case then he would’ve saved more penalties. Two of Mbappes would have been missed. 

27 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Couldn’t be happier for Emi. Tinged with a bit of sadness because he’s on the radar of some of the worlds top clubs. I think we’re going to really struggle to keep hold of him now.

He’s one of the few players we’ve had over the last 20 years who you could describe as genuinely world class. We’ve given him a shot and he’s grabbed it with both hands (no pun intended!). Proud he plays for my club and the part we’ve played in nurturing his talent.

He should have been on the radar before the world cup it doesn’t take a genius to figure out he’s one of the best keepers in the world. I don’t think scouts and sporting directors are as fickle as opposing fans. But Emi has signed a long term contract recently it would take alot of money to buy him.  Only PSG , City , and Chelsea can afford him but they already have good Keepers.

Â