Birmingham Life

jackbauer24

It’s coming on leaps and bounds. All the closures around paradise circus and broad street have been a pain the arse but it looks great. 

Wgeb they complete the next phase of the metro and you can jump on it at the airport and get to town it’ll be brilliant

15 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I moved away from Birmingham 20 years ago.  Since I moved away I have been back a couple of times a year for various reasons.  

I visited today for the first time since COVID.  The city has really come a long way in that time.  It has the feeling of a vibrant and growing city.  

Come back in another 2 years and you'll find 2 skyscrapers which finally top the height of The BT Tower (Post Office Tower for us oldies)

• Like 1

On 21/02/2021 at 10:33, AVFC_Hitz said:

Noo...my first kiss with a girl with boobs was in the car park of Stirchley bowl. 

Quick hop on the 47 back to Selly Park.

You knew Kamara before he joined the Villa?  Kinky bugger

Edited by Follyfoot

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Crusty Cobs, Greek fish and chip shops, Conker Trees, marbles and gobbies, BRMB with George Gavin. The fountain in the indoor shopping centre next to Austin Reeds, Cecil Gees and Gabichi jumpers. Harry Parkes, God bless him. 

So many great memories of the City I treasure.

Sad news. My meeting place on my rare visits over from across the pond. Great beer and Thai food. 

Probably only busy on match days. A victim to the changes in Aston over the years

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Barton Arms is closing . Apart from match day there’s no call for pubs in Muslim areas. 

A victim of changing demographics. Also, high quality Thai food in Aston was always a push. I bet it doesn't get much weekday trade apart from the football. 

I hope the wonderful building and interior isn't left to go to rack and ruin. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Xela said:

A victim of changing demographics. Also, high quality Thai food in Aston was always a push. I bet it doesn't get much weekday trade apart from the football. 

I hope the wonderful building and interior isn't left to go to rack and ruin. 

The Thai food there is actually really good.

There's probably a problem with perception with it though. Thai food served in the back of, essentially, a football pub doesn't exactly sound appetising. 
I must admit the first time my mates told me they'd booked us in for some thai food at the Barton after a game I was thinking "well that sounds shit"

It's not shit, it's lovely, but I could see why some people might wrongly turn their noses up at it, especially outside of a matchday

16 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Barton Arms is closing .

Now  I've no idea if this is true or just aprocryphal but my Grandfather, born in Lozells and lifelong Villa supporter, told me that the Villa's colours of claret and blue were chosen 'cos they were the colour of the tiles in the "Bartons".

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, veloman said:

Now  I've no idea if this is true or just aprocryphal but my Grandfather, born in Lozells and lifelong Villa supporter, told me that the Villa's colours of claret and blue were chosen 'cos they were the colour of the tiles in the "Bartons".

Not true, just a popular rumour. We’ve played in claret and blue longer than the Barton’s has been standing

4 hours ago, veloman said:

Colours come from Rangers and Hearts 

38 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Colours come from Rangers and Hearts 

This is a myth

McGregor and his wife (who was the alleged Hearts fan in the myth) move to Birmingham years before either Rangers or Hearts existed so it seems unlikely they'd be fans of the clubs. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This is a myth

McGregor and his wife (who was the alleged Hearts fan in the myth) move to Birmingham years before either Rangers or Hearts existed so it seems unlikely they'd be fans of the clubs. 

Hearts were formed in 1874 and Rangers 1872. I always thought we got our colours and rampant lion from Scottish influence.

Â