Birmingham Life

jackbauer24

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Well yes, as is Pheasey and Aldridge, Streetly is unusual in that it seems to be Walsall, Birmingham and Lichfield all at the same time.

See Great Barr above, not even that unusual :D 

1 minute ago, bickster said:

See Great Barr above, not even that unusual :D 

But I don't think anyone from Great Barr would also claim to be part of a third place - it's the layering of the combinations that's odd.

People in Great Barr would either say Great Barr, Walsall or Great Barr, Birmingham, depending, quite obviously (and I don't care what the maps say) on which side of the Scott Arms you live - they wouldn't say Great Barr, part of Aldridge in Walsall for example.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

But I don't think anyone from Great Barr would also claim to be part of a third place - it's the layering of the combinations that's odd.

People in Great Barr would either say Great Barr, Walsall or Great Barr, Birmingham, depending, quite obviously (and I don't care what the maps say) on which side of the Scott Arms you live - they wouldn't say Great Barr, part of Aldridge in Walsall for example.

Sandwell goes both sides of the Scott Arms all the way up to the Whitecrest Estate, Pheasey and that new(ish) estate on the old St Margarets Hospital is the part of traditional GB that's in Walsall

I've never announced that I'm from Great Barr Sandwell either, nor do I know anyone that ever has. The postal address is Birmingham for all of those places

Mind you, you can go to the car park at the Hawthorns and stand with one foot in Sandwell and one in Birmingham without leaving Smethwick.

Birmingham has always had some strange boundaries and overlapping historical borders and districts, I wonder if that's the same everywhere.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Mind you, you can go to the car park at the Hawthorns and stand with one foot in Sandwell and one in Birmingham without leaving Smethwick.

Birmingham has always had some strange boundaries and overlapping historical borders and districts, I wonder if that's the same everywhere.

I'm convinced they moved that border because part of the ground used to be in Brum and not just the car park :D 

In Liverpool the council move what they consider to be a suburb all the time to improve the house prices. They can never explain why West Allerton Station is now in Mossley Hill :D  Lots of examples of that here

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Sandwell goes both sides of the Scott Arms all the way up to the Whitecrest Estate, Pheasey and that new(ish) estate on the old St Margarets Hospital is the part of traditional GB that's in Walsall

That's interesting - I'd always thought the Walsall council boundary started at the corner of the Scott Arms, but it seems it starts at the motorway. Chapel Lane side is even weirder, with the hotel being in Birmingham and the field behind it Walsall. Birmingham has strange boundaries - can we not just establish Greater Birmingham and be done with it?

I suppose there's loads of it elsewhere Trafford and Manchester, The NEC moving from Solihull to Birmingham, that sort of thing.

Anyways, I was surprised that Streetly is part of Walsall, but perhaps more surprised that it's (apparently wrongly) considered part of Sutton Coldfield - I always thought it was plain Birmingham.

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

That's interesting - I'd always thought the Walsall council boundary started at the corner of the Scott Arms, but it seems it starts at the motorway. Chapel Lane side is even weirder, with the hotel being in Birmingham and the field behind it Walsall. Birmingham has strange boundaries - can we not just establish Greater Birmingham and be done with it?

A cynic would say that Birmingham didn't want the mental hospital so thought it more appropriate for it to be in Walsall :D  (but it had closed before the 1974 Local government reorganisation that changed the boundaries)

• Haha 1

The one that always struck me as odd with the B postcode was Tamworth - was it just given that as a way to make the overspillers feel at home?

...and Iv'e just discovered Henley-In-Arden has a B postcode - they'll be livid.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

The one that always struck me as odd with the B postcode was Tamworth - was it just given that as a way to make the overspillers feel at home?

No, like I said up thread, postcodes have absolutely nothing to do with councils. B postcodes just mean the mail delivery comes from the Birmingham Postal District. Postcodes are entirely an invention of the Post Office (Prior to Royal Mail split) and they only reflect their organisation. Other than that they mean nothing

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Other than that they mean nothing

Au contraire, they mean Brummies can make gleeful hints to the good folk of Henley that they're part of Birmingham, just to make em mad, and even though we know better.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Are parts of Sutton under Walsall?

Lichfield as well (Little Aston for example)

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Postcodes have absolutely nothing to do with local authorities, just to which postal district delivers the mail

Yep, Redditch and Tamworth have 'B' postcodes. 

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I guess the thing is that Little Aston isn't part of Sutton (and neither is Streetly).

Officially yes, but I think more residents would say Little Aston, Sutton Coldfield, as opposed to Little Aston, Lichfield. 

Four Oaks, Little Aston and Streetly all seem to blur into one large place. 

19 minutes ago, Xela said:

Should read all posts before posting! :blush:

No, not at all - I'd have put Little Aston in Sutton and I'm guessing that some of these places have had borders moved around them over the years - Aldridge for example has moved from Staffordshire to the West Midlands and to Walsall in 1974. (Greater) Birmingham is a fascinating array of overlaid and occasionally blurred borders.

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I guess the thing is that Little Aston isn't part of Sutton (and neither is Streetly).

Postal address for Streetly is Sutton Coldfield. It is also (along the Thornhill Road and Streetly Road stretches which includes Streetly Village itself) the border of Sutton Park. I suppose you could argue that the edge of Sutton Park forms the border of Sutton perhaps, but I'd argue that if you live on the road that goes around Sutton Park you live in Sutton.

1 minute ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Postal address for Streetly is Sutton Coldfield. It is also (along the Thornhill Road and Streetly Road stretches which includes Streetly Village itself) the border of Sutton Park. I suppose you could argue that the edge of Sutton Park forms the border of Sutton perhaps, but I'd argue that if you live on the road that goes around Sutton Park you live in Sutton.

It's the former - the edge of the park is the end of Sutton - that's how Sutton's borders are defined and how the Walsall council area is drawn.

I was just about to post though that Streetly is part of the postal town of Sutton Coldfield, but I'm not quite sure what that actually means other than in the same way that postcodes do where it's a convenience for postal office locations.

Â