Birmingham Life

jackbauer24

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

Officially yes, but I think more residents would say Little Aston, Sutton Coldfield.

And that's how they would write their addresses - it seems that the post office operate a different set of boundaries to everyone else.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Mind you, you can go to the car park at the Hawthorns and stand with one foot in Sandwell and one in Birmingham without leaving Smethwick.

Birmingham has always had some strange boundaries and overlapping historical borders and districts, I wonder if that's the same everywhere.

It came up during the different level covid lockdowns but part of Kings Norton comes under Bromsgrove council.

• Like 1

On a slightly different angle, I've always thought the term West Midlands is a poor name for the county. Its also the name of the wider region just to confuse things. 

• Like 3

So Little Aston can be correctly described as being in Lichfield (district), Tamworth (Constituency), Shenstone (Parish), Staffordshire (County) or Sutton Coldfield (Postal town), but I don't think it can be described as in Birmingham because even though Sutton Coldfield is part of the city and district of Birmingham, Little Aston is only part of it as a postal town.

Simple.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

And that's how they would write their addresses - it seems that the post office operate a different set of boundaries to everyone else.

See postcodes, your address has nothing to do with your local authority.

Pear Tree Rd, great Barr, Birmingham, B43 is a postal address, it’s in Sandwell

Anyway, I was just looking around Wikipedia after the above discussion and discovered that the countryside and free access campaigner John Bainbridge was brought up in Great Barr, he lived at 15 Ray Hall Lane when he was a kid and went to the same schools as me, which means he was in the very first intake at Grove Vale Primary School, which in turn means there was a very good chance he was taught by my mother, as she joined the school at its inception. 
Anyway, a very interesting man and serial trespasser, look him up especially if you like walking and Devon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

So Little Aston can be correctly described as being in Lichfield (district), Tamworth (Constituency), Shenstone (Parish), Staffordshire (County) or Sutton Coldfield (Postal town), but I don't think it can be described as in Birmingham because even thought Sutton Coldfield is part of the city and district of Birmingham, Little Aston is only part of it as a postal town.

Simple.

Tamworth constituency doesn’t go anywhere near Little Aston does it?

16 hours ago, bickster said:

See postcodes, your address has nothing to do with your local authority.

Pear Tree Rd, great Barr, Birmingham, B43 is a postal address, it’s in Sandwell

Bedford, the county town of Bedfordshire, has an 'MK' Milton Keynes postcode, a town in Buckinghamshire.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I suppose the hope is that these institutions don't rely entirely on council funding (which is pretty likely). But it's going to hit hard regardless.

Whilst they may not, I imagine they've accounted for council funding, so could leave some big gaps in the finances.

Shit like this makes me angry, Brum is an amazing city and should be treated as such. Who did the accounts for the Local Authority to get into that level of skint? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

Whilst they may not, I imagine they've accounted for council funding, so could leave some big gaps in the finances.

Shit like this makes me angry, Brum is an amazing city and should be treated as such. Who did the accounts for the Local Authority to get into that level of skint? 

Grant Thornton are/were the council's auditors. Ironically they are also threatening legal action against them due to council bosses trying to intimidate them during audits 

Â