Birmingham Life

jackbauer24

14 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Hearts were formed in 1874 and Rangers 1872. I always thought we got our colours and rampant lion from Scottish influence.

McGregor moved to Brum in 1870 and he was from Perthshire

12 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Hearts were formed in 1874 and Rangers 1872. I always thought we got our colours and rampant lion from Scottish influence.

And the McGregors moved to Birmingham in 1870. They'd have had no connection to the clubs

The lion is probably true, that there was scottish influence there.

But it's a myth that the colours came from the McGregors' love of Rangers and Hearts

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

McGregor moved to Brum in 1870 and he was from Perthshire

He could still have used the 1872 colours of a team created in 1874 though?

49 minutes ago, Genie said:

He could still have used the 1872 colours of a team created in 1874 though?

But why would Mcgregor use the colours of those teams? He wouldn't have had any connection to Rangers, or his wife to Hearts.

There's no evidence behind it as far as I know. It's just a convenient story

46 minutes ago, Chindie said:

We didn't start playing in Claret and Blue until the late 1880s, and even then the original plan was chocolate brown and blue.

Our first kit in 1874 was "deep red" and blue. Whether that was claret, or whether the later move to Claret and Blue was a deliberate move back to the original kit? Who knows

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But why would Mcgregor use the colours of those teams? He wouldn't have had any connection to Rangers, or his wife to Hearts.

There's no evidence behind it as far as I know. It's just a convenient story

No idea, was just saying the dates worked in theory.

• Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

No idea, was just saying the dates worked in theory.

Yeah the dates work, especially if the 1888 date for our claret and blue is accurate (see above). it's certainly the date where we settled on the colours, whether we'd tried them before is up for debate.

I just don't think the logic works.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The Thai food there is actually really good.

There's probably a problem with perception with it though. Thai food served in the back of, essentially, a football pub doesn't exactly sound appetising. 
I must admit the first time my mates told me they'd booked us in for some thai food at the Barton after a game I was thinking "well that sounds shit"

It's not shit, it's lovely, but I could see why some people might wrongly turn their noses up at it, especially outside of a matchday

I think it could be a prime venue for a desi grill pub. Those venues seem to be a gold mine. 

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think it could be a prime venue for a desi grill pub. Those venues seem to be a gold mine. 

We could crowd fund it.

Villa Tikka Talk.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

We could crowd fund it.

Villa Tikka Talk.

Aston Grilla

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

Wasn't Claret and Blue something to do with George Ramsay,  not McGreggor. 

Still absolutely nothing to do with Rangers and Hearts though, at the time we took on claret and blue neither of those two Scottish teams had won anything and again Ramsay had moved to Brum before either was formed.

I have no idea about where it did originate from but it makes more sense that it was McGregor as the kits and other stuff were often stored in his shop (to stop it being seized by bailiffs over unpaid tax) and he was a draper so the material for the kits may well have come from him but that’s pure speculation on my behalf

The Ringway has had it's demolition approved.

Birmingham is basically having it's 50s/60s architecture erased. And the replacement is just a big line of identikit apartment buildings.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Birmingham is basically having it's 50s/60s architecture erased. And the replacement is just a big line of identikit apartment buildings.

Birmingham likes demolishing Brutalism

55 minutes ago, Chindie said:

48 minutes ago, bickster said:

Birmingham likes demolishing Brutalism

Why should a shit load of 60s brutalism architecture remain? 

Like all styles the best will survive and the shit Ill thought out will go. 

We'll keep the likes of Tricorn House, Alpha Tower, some of the stuff down Hagley Road but eventually it will reduce like all other periods and styles till the best are all that remain and are preserved. 

The problem with The Ringway is it just created a wall that sliced the city in half.  Same as The Library, when it's gone the city will just function much better.

And yes a lot of buildings going up now will eventually be demolished in the future. As is the way of the world.

Edited by sidcow

32 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Like all styles the best will survive and the shit Ill thought out will go. 

The Brutalist Library was a masterpiece of modern architecture

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bickster said:

The Brutalist Library was a masterpiece of modern architecture

It was but that does not in itself make it a worthwhile building. a) It was another ill thought out building which originally had a wasteland beneath it which then became a badly thought out and planned area, both of which effectively formed a difficult barrier within the city.  b) Was not actually a good place to store books which was it's primary purpose and c) was too difficult and expensive to maintain for a public building.

Again it was like the Ringway a barrier within the city.  Along with the old conservatoire it had the same problems with a lot of these 60's developments.  The city had sold it's soul to the car, the idea was to drive everywhere and keep pedestrians as far away from cars as possible, underground or over bridges or through boulevards.  But these public access pedestrian areas were firstly badly thought out and planned and secondly extremely unappealing to walk through if not downright dangerous.

If the city is to survive and breathe again changes must be made - compare the new Paradise area to 60's version.  Wide pleasant tree lined pedestrian only streets.  The whole City Centre from The Council House to Broad street is now a whole joined up pleasant area which is thriving.  Our 2 major civic squares now linked and more new squares on the way.  It's streets ahead of where we were 20 years ago.

The Ringway will be similar.  The front is OK, a good piece of 60's architecture but is highly flawed by the huge divide it creates within the city, but the BACK is an absolute mess.  An ugly facade leaving a hive of messy streets and allays and dead spaces. 

It's a loss of a good bit of architecture the same as the Central Library was, but neither of them functioned well in their environment and that's actually more important for a building than being "pretty" or not.

Edited by sidcow

Â