Birmingham Life

jackbauer24

I've been away too long.

One of my birthday presents was the book pictured below. Many of the paintings are of Birmingham buses, from the routes that I used to use (nos 1, 50, 11, etc.) 

I was bewildered by the fact that - with one blue and cream exception - the paintings depict all the buses in red livery. What? I only remember the 'Midland Reds' being that colour, never the 'Corporation'/WMPTE buses. 

In his introduction, the author states: 

"The fact that when I started and until quite recently the buses were a lovely striking red colour was great for me visually as the pictures would catch the eyes of passers by on my stalls especially in large poster size". 

This has rocked my world. When did blue and cream go out? And what are they now? 

518KleSQ+iL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

This has rocked my world. When did blue and cream go out? And what are they now? 

They were blue and cream when I was a kid, but they went to blue and silver around the late 80s

8551851939-448bfbcf84-z.jpg

Then my mind is a bit hazy... but I think it went something like this

Red/white/blue

2000-6282ccd5d3364.jpg

Red/white and Green/white for the early Hybrids. 

National-Express-West-Midlands-4682-BX5431301629522-219e35e384-b.jpg

Red

34814095552-8143549a0f-b.jpg

To the recent times

3vfg3w7mq4761.jpg

• Shocked 1

Wow. In my mind they have always been, still are, and always will be blue and cream. 

I am genuinely shocked by this! 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Wow. In my mind they have always been, still are, and always will be blue and cream. 

The Leyland and MCW's in blue and cream are the buses I remember my Mom taking me to school on as a kid

20.jpg

The colour change to red, white and blue was because of the merging of operations with National Express, and adopting their colours. 

I was also a fan of the silver and blue in both regular, and 'Timesaver' guise 

14412618522-885a2b3046-b.jpgMCW2.jpg

Edited by Xela

There was a black/silver Tracline as well, which was a 'guided' bus route

In-as-delivered-condition-one-of-the-gui\

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracline_65

Tracline 65 was a bus route in Birmingham, England which included the first guided busway in the United Kingdom.

The existing route 65 bus route was upgraded as part of an experiment to improve bus services, by the West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive. A 600-metre section of concrete-edged guideway was installed on Streetly Road in the Short Heath area, a few miles from Erdington village, at the northern terminal of the route. Located in a central reservation once used by Birmingham Corporation trams, it was segregated from the carriageway used by other vehicular traffic. At the southern end of the trackway, buses used ordinary roads to reach the city centre.

Fourteen MCW Metrobus Mark II buses were acquired and fitted with guide wheels, which ran along the guideway's concrete edges. The vehicles were painted in a distinct livery, unique to Tracline 65, being silver with black and red detailing. It began operating in 1984. The trial ended in 1987 and all buses had their guide wheels removed and returned to normal services; the last withdrawn on 26 April 2008. The buses retained their distinctive destination display and gap in the front wheel arch where the guide wheels had been.

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

One of my birthday presents was the book pictured below. Many of the paintings are of Birmingham buses, from the routes that I used to use (nos 1, 50, 11, etc.) 

Neat.

The 11 bus route was the closest to where I lived and I routinely caught the 50 (and then hopped on to the 54) to get to school. Other local bus routes were 48/49 that went into town and the 2 and 27 routes that headed off in exotic (Stirchley) directions. Can't place the 1 route.

The cream and blue livery was a classic.

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

They converted 14 buses to run on a 600 meter guided trackway, what kind of insanity is that?

A public body insanity. No wonder the country is broke ;)

• Haha 1

Bit of info on the Tracline65, for any nerd :)

https://citytransport.info/Tracline65a.htm

This was Britain's first kerb guided busway. Operated by the West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive ('Centro') it featured six 'passenger stations' which were equipped with shelters, tip-up seats and electronic information displays advising passengers when the next bus would be due. Access to the stops was by ramp, so even though the vehicles were not 'low floor' they were still more easily reached by people with special needs.

The busway trackage consisted of a concrete road surface into which steel guide-walls were set, with the centre strip between the bus' wheels 'rough surfaced' to deter cars from using it and overall landscaping designed to deter pedestrians from wandering where they were not wanted. Technically it was treated like any other bus lane, ie: a part of the normal highway that had been made subject to a Traffic Regulation Order restricting access to buses only - in effect this meant that construction and maintenance were the responsibility of the local highway authority, and not the bus operator.

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

They do the odd blue and cream ones every now and then. 

But it's not been the overall livery since privatisation. 

Can't get a 2p ride anymore either 😁

Â