Birmingham Life

jackbauer24

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Bromsgrove to me is surprising cos of all the brum satelite towns its the one with the shittest centre, nothing there

Yeah last time I was there was about 3 years ago and it was really drab with nothing there.

I remember it as quite a pretty market town when I was growing up. Although my parents did drag me around Cradley Market and Lye most Saturdays so my gauging might be a bit off! 

I'm sure in 2019 it had the highest % growth rate for house prices so as a catchment area with the city 30 mins away and all that motorway it's working its just such an uninspiring pointless town centre compared to Stourbridge, redditch, kiddy etc 

The small Waitrose can't save it

3 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Lichfield is good, it’s heaving with Villa fans. Unlike Birmingham City centre, which is completely owned by small heath. Yes, you’ll never see a Villa fan in the city, they all reside in Lichfield. 

Thats why i'm going there mate. So I can drink in the city centre of Lichfield, as we're not allowed in Birmingham as its full of small heathens. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Bromsgrove to me is surprising cos of all the brum satelite towns its the one with the shittest centre, nothing there

Less likely to get your head kicked in though, compared to Redditch! 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Well that’s not strictly fair, there’s a mini Waitrose and an Indian Takeaway.

By us, we’re spoiled for choice, there’s Morrisons and there’s a Toyota dealership.

• Like 1

Hall Green is horrible now, everyone’s moving away from it. I wouldn’t go out around there at night. Kings Heath is a weird mix of I’m alright Jack’s and chav dickheads. The prices of property round here truly blows my mind, if I had 250k I’d be moving straight out of here not looking to come in. I want to move further out towards alvechurch and Barnt Green but it’s too far away from work and the prices are simply staggering. 

The way things are I can’t even afford to move back to where I grew up around Rednal which pisses me off. I think we will be able to afford £175-180k max on combined band 3 nhs wages. You can’t get piss all in South Brum for that without taking huge risks in the area you choose :(

I could afford Northfield in the trampy crime riddled bits but that fills me with depression. I feel a bit stuck at the mo. 

I’ve missed out on every benefit my parents generations had and just feel lost all the time. Not married, no kids, no house of my own. Crap pay. Everything’s expensive. Ugh. 

Edited by Ingram85

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Well that’s not strictly fair, there’s a mini Waitrose and an Indian Takeaway.

By us, we’re spoiled for choice, there’s Morrisons and there’s a Toyota dealership.

Morrisons? Luxury.

When I was a lad, gravel, hole etc. etc.

And we were lucky.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Hall Green is horrible now, everyone’s moving away from it. I wouldn’t go out around there at night. Kings Heath is a weird mix of I’m alright Jack’s and chav dickheads. The prices of property round here truly blows my mind, if so had 250k I’d be moving straight out of here not looking to come in. I want to move further out towards alvechurch and Barnt Green but it’s too far away from work and the prices are simply staggering. 

The way things are I can’t even afford to move back to where so grew up around Rednal which pisses me off. I think we will be able to afford £175-180k max on combined band 3 nhs wages. You can’t get piss all in South Brum for that without taking huge risks in the area you choose :(

I could afford Northfield in the trampy crime riddled bits but fills me with depression. I feel a bit stuck at the mo. 

I’ve missed out on every benefit my parents generations had and just feel lost all the time. Not married, no kids, no house of my own. Crap pay. Everything’s expensive. Ugh. 

Sorry to hear that @Ingram85

I felt the same for a long time. I have no real advice -  I just kept slogging away and eventually somehow things seemed to work themselves out. Although I know it’s no help to hear that right now.

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Stirchley seems to be where the cool kids are heading. There seem to be lots of bars and restaurants and stuff opening that way and it only a short leap to the City centre.

And a bowling alley! (Have no idea if that’s still there... 🤣

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

And a bowling alley! (Have no idea if that’s still there... 🤣

No, part of my childhood died when I saw the rubble on the ground when they knocked that down. 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, sidcow said:

No, part of my childhood died when I saw the rubble on the ground when they knocked that down. 

Noo...my first kiss with a girl with boobs was in the car park of Stirchley bowl. 

Quick hop on the 47 back to Selly Park.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 20/02/2021 at 00:28, Ingram85 said:

Hall Green is horrible now, everyone’s moving away from it.

I disagree with this. I've lived in Hall Green for most of my 33 years and it feels just as nice, safe and secure now as it ever has. I suppose it depends on where in Hall Green you're referring to though. I'm on the Shirley end, which has always been nice. Over by the dog tracks has gone to pot though in recent years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, regular_john said:

I disagree with this. I've lived in Hall Green for most of my 33 years and it feels just as nice, safe and secure now as it ever has. I suppose it depends on where in Hall Green you're referring to though. I'm on the Shirley end, which has always been nice. Over by the dog tracks has gone to pot though in recent years.

I would disagree with you.  I lived for 30 years in Hall Green with parents and then my own house and I feel Hall Green has changed a lot. 

I lived near Sarehole Mill and then near The Church of The Ascension.  In fact just our road changed in the 15 years or so we lived there. 

I would agree it doesn't feel dangerous at night though, that's just plain silly. 

I would agree the Shirley end is much better though, we're in Shirley now and like it a whole lot better. 

Edited by sidcow

When I said I wouldn’t feel safe I’m talking about going round the Parade at night and round by the bits towards Acocks Green/Olton. It’s not silly to say I didn’t feel safe walking around when years before I did feel safe.

8 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Noo...my first kiss with a girl with boobs was in the car park of Stirchley bowl. 

I hate to break this to you Hitz, but if you were kissing a girl without boobs then she was probably a boy.

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

On 20/02/2021 at 00:28, Ingram85 said:

Hall Green is horrible now, everyone’s moving away from it. I wouldn’t go out around there at night. Kings Heath is a weird mix of I’m alright Jack’s and chav dickheads. The prices of property round here truly blows my mind, if I had 250k I’d be moving straight out of here not looking to come in. I want to move further out towards alvechurch and Barnt Green but it’s too far away from work and the prices are simply staggering. 

The way things are I can’t even afford to move back to where I grew up around Rednal which pisses me off. I think we will be able to afford £175-180k max on combined band 3 nhs wages. You can’t get piss all in South Brum for that without taking huge risks in the area you choose :(

I could afford Northfield in the trampy crime riddled bits but that fills me with depression. I feel a bit stuck at the mo. 

Mental isn't it? House prices now and just general living costs. A quarter of a million pounds for an average house in an average area. No disrespect to people in those areas! I'm a North Brummie so i've never seen the appeal of places like Kings Heath or Stirchley. The few times i've been over there i've thought it looks ok at best and scruffy in a lot of places. I grew up in Erdington so i know what scruffy is! ;) 

I just want to live away from it all in a caravan or boat and not have to worry about the property 'ladder'. At most, just a small cottage in the country. Whether I can do that is down to work and whether i can WFH permanently. I see the appeal of minimalism and not owning a great deal of stuff. I'm not a massive hoarder anyway, but i'd wager I could throw away or eBay 90% of everything I own and I wouldn't miss anything. I don't want my possessions to end up owning me. 

Slightly drifted off on a tangent then :) 

11 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Stirchley was down the road from my school so it was a regular outing for us. Quick walk back up the road and get the 11 back to Acocks Green for me!

Simpler times

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

On 18/02/2021 at 15:57, Sam-AVFC said:

Can anyone recommend any areas to live with good local drinking spots (pubs/bars > nightclubs) that would be fairly easy to commute centrally either on public transport or by car? I'll probably end up having a max budget of around £1,000/month and ideally do not want to go back to house sharing.

Thats a decent budget for houses in and around Brum. I'd have a look around Kings Heath/Stirchley if you want to be within the city, a few miles out of the centre and both have there own bars/restaurants etc so you don't necessarily have to travel into town for a decent night out. 

In terms of satellite towns, as others have said Lichfield is nice and has decent pubs and restaurants but its a slow and unreliable commute into Brum on the cross city line. Sutton Coldfield and the surrounding areas might be worth a look with your budget, has a town centre in its right but only a short hop into central Brum as well

Edited by icouldtelltheworld

Â