The AVFC FFP thread

2 hours ago, El-Reacho said:

If only O'Neill was capable of winning football matches in March..... We could've been a contender.

Or just using the squad he'd assembled instead of playing exactly the same 11 players every game until they were exhausted by March.

• Like 3

Read an interesting article about WBAs financial situation somewhere (might have been Birmingham Live), but the interesting part was a rule I was not aware of.. Apparently there is a rule where clubs cannot increase the annual wages by more than 7% per season. It really is all ridiculous, I'm not sure how this correlates to newly promoted teams as it would be ridiculous to apply this limit on them. 

21 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Read an interesting article about WBAs financial situation somewhere (might have been Birmingham Live), but the interesting part was a rule I was not aware of.. Apparently there is a rule where clubs cannot increase the annual wages by more than 7% per season. It really is all ridiculous, I'm not sure how this correlates to newly promoted teams as it would be ridiculous to apply this limit on them. 

I think it doesn’t apply to newly promoted clubs because they’re well within FFP rules just based on the new TV revenue they generate or something like that. 

15 hours ago, Junxs said:

If that's true (which I honestly don't think it is)...then Wolves are screwed. Their wage to turnover in 2015-16 was 67%, it has gone up to 119% this season!

15 hours ago, Junxs said:

If that's true (which I honestly don't think it is)...then Wolves are screwed. Their wage to turnover in 2015-16 was 67%, it has gone up to 119% this season!

Is the confusion down to this bit in the Premier League rules: "Clubs will be able to increase their wage spend by £7m each season from 2016/17 to 2018/19"

27 minutes ago, ViewFromT2 said:

Is the confusion down to this bit in the Premier League rules: "Clubs will be able to increase their wage spend by £7m each season from 2016/17 to 2018/19"

Yes, it's £7m rather than 7%...but you can exceed that, if your revenue goes up by more to match it.  Any jump from Championship to PL would carry a huge increase in revenue, so shouldn't be an issue for promoted clubs.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2018 at 09:45, Demitri_C said:

Probably the most amazing match ive ever seen being a villa fan. Lescotts face was priceless 

Same. I was watching with my parents and screamed when young scored the last minute winner. 

Yes, it was £7m rather than 7%, apologies. Took me a while but I have hunted down the article, it was on Sky Sports.

It was also revealed that the club would have to practice caution in order to remain compliant with the Premier League's Short Term Cost Control (STCC) measure, which restricts teams to £7m increases in total salaries each season.

full article here

On 3/27/2018 at 20:29, Andy81 said:

I think it doesn’t apply to newly promoted clubs because they’re well within FFP rules just based on the new TV revenue they generate or something like that. 

What about an interconnected 3rd party triangle all with a financial interest? 

Eg. Club, Owners and a Agent!..  :D

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

What about an interconnected 3rd party triangle all with a financial interest? 

Eg. Club, Owners and a Agent!..  :D

I wouldn’t know about that. Who are you referring to? ;)

On 27/03/2018 at 08:09, blandy said:

We did both, but the 4-1 was under John Gregory in 1998 (juust a month or so after Brian Little quit - Joachim, Charles and 2 from Yorke

Yes I know that but Andy was referring to the o neill era - I was at both games - wasn’t a Monday night either. 

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

So we are now "sponsored" by the Recon Group with immediate effect.

That is that sorted then hopefully.

I have pointed out repeatedly that FFP is a load of bollocks and deals like this show exact why that's the case. If an owner wants to invest into the club they can, it's easy to get around FFP. FFP is only used as an excuse by owners who don't want to invest. 

AVFC

Aston Villa has confirmed a naming rights partnership for the club’s Bodymoor Heath training facility to be renamed The Recon Training Complex with immediate effect. 

The five-year partnership will see Recon become the club’s first ever training ground partner and they will work with Aston Villa to develop, drive forward and build technical capability within The Recon Training Complex, which in turn will allow them to showcase their products and services...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I have pointed out repeatedly that FFP is a load of bollocks and deals like this show exact why that's the case. If an owner wants to invest into the club they can, it's easy to get around FFP. FFP is only used as an excuse by owners who don't want to invest. 

AVFC

We don’t know yet what money is involved, though. It could be a few million or it could be ridiculous amounts of money. I think, unfortunately, it’ll be closer to the latter. 

30 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Well for me it’s much more palatable than adding a sponsor to Villa Park’s name, so if it helps us out then I’m happy.

Would you be against "Villa Park - Powered by Recon" or something of the sort, with the Recon etc in smaller lettering underneath?

If it meant we could get say an extra 20 mill per season?

Genuine question for you lot.

6 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Wee don’t know yet what money is involved, though. It could be a few million or it could be ridiculous amounts of money. I think, unfortunately, it’ll be closer to the latter. 

I assume you mean the former ? and hope it's the latter ?

This for me shows that Xia is prepared to do whatever possible within the rules of the game to get the right amount of cash into the club. I firmly believe the enxt announcement will be a Recon Sports (or some other Xia owned company) manufactured kit (making a very nice deal for Villa in the process).

I htink this shows how p****d off the hierarchy have been with the situation at Wolves and they've now decided to tackle things head on rather than just following everything laid down by the football league. The wording of this statement is very clear that there is benefit to both businesses in this alliance. Very clever, and i'd like to see more please.

Edited by dukes
  • Like 2

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Would you be against "Villa Park - Powered by Recon" or something of the sort, with the Recon etc in smaller lettering underneath?

I'd happily go along with Villa Park - Powered by Recon. I don't care what it gets renamed, it'll always be Villa Park to me, and I have faith that whatever sponsorship they come up with will be sympathetic

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I do admit that I’d be interested, purely out of curiosity, as to how much Recon could legitimately sponsor the stadium/stands for to get around FFP.

But I’d prefer they didn’t change the name of Villa Park if it can be helped. There was that paper talk of it being “Lotus Villa Park” when Dr T first arrived on the scene. I think I wavered a bit and said that would be better than a complete name change. Which it would be, but I’d personally prefer to rename the new and improved North Stand if we were going down that route (and if it is redeveloped).

Famous last words, but I don’t think we will see a renaming of Villa Park anytime soon.

• Like 2

Â