The AVFC FFP thread

29 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I think this'll likely be the first window in a while that we'll have a fair few players leave for fees. Other than Grealish, there hasn't been many in recent years.

Indeed,

In ideal world it would be Elghazi £10m, Trez £5m, Wes £5m, keinan £5m, so at least £25m generated from fringe players 

3 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Indeed,

In ideal world it would be Elghazi £10m, Trez £5m, Wes £5m, keinan £5m, so at least £25m generated from fringe players 

Probably Targett as well. I do think a starting player will go as well either Dougie or Watkins

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Indeed,

what do you think of our FFP situation approaching this summer mate?

16 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I am waiting for full set of our accounts for last season to be published (should be next month) before making any predictions. Too many unknowns at the moment 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

Indeed,

I think we will be far less sentimental going forward and much more ruthless in our transfer dealings. The Digne business is a flavour of that. We were very sentimental under Smith it felt. The manager was a villa fan, the star was a villa fan, it was nice to keep the players together that got us promoted etc.

I agree with the players you mention but I have a feeling that a couple of the players that started last night might be sold too. No one specifically, I just think there will be a different feel now going forward.

It looks like we are going to finish midtable again this season. The owners will want to see serious improvement next season.

• 1 month later...

image.png.79064c3dca6f45cdd0d4eafc93e8845c.png

As expected we went close to the limit, but didn't exceed it.

If you read the whole twitter thread by Swiss Ramble our amortisation figures are difficult to explain. It dropped from £70m to £54m for last season, despite signing almost £100m worth of players. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

If you read the whole twitter thread by Swiss Ramble our amortisation figures are difficult to explain. It dropped from £70m to £54m for last season, despite signing almost £100m worth of players. 

Purslow got his jiggery-pokery stick out.

On 10/02/2022 at 14:53, Czarnikjak said:

Indeed,

That's Coutinho wage bill took care of then 😀

1 hour ago, Czarnikjak said:

does "close to the limit", mean we wont have as much of a war chest this summer as some might think?

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

does "close to the limit", mean we wont have as much of a war chest this summer as some might think?

We will have significant amount of FFP leeway this summer. Mainly due to Grealish sale, 2018 season dropping off from the calculus and expected sale of fringe players ( Trez, Elghazi, Davis, Wesley and others).

How much of that we will want commit this summer alone is difficult to predict.

Coutinhos wages could be problematic, also from broader team wage structure point of view. Our highest earners are on £120k now, paying Coutinho over £200k as he will surely demand could be unpalatable.

Edited by Czarnikjak
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

The £56M for 2021 makes sense based on the players in the squad, their reported signing fees and the lengths on contract. It's the £71M in 2020 that looks really odd. Can only think that certain players signed previously cost a lot more than was reported and so more amortisation was incurred. I guess the high disposals figure in 2021 backs this up. We disposed of £60M of players at original cost according to the 2021 accounts, but can't get close to this figure based on reported fees paid for players we seem to have sold or released in this period: Chester, Hogan, Bree, Jota, Nyland, Lansbury, Baston (and possibly Samatta if sell on to Fenerbache could have been recognised in this period?), plus a bunch of youth players.

On 10/02/2022 at 14:58, MaVilla said:

We sold Grealish so we're fine. If we get 25m for our fringe players we can easily spend another 100m

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

yeah I can't understand how our amortisation had dropped last year. Only thing I can think of is new contracts spread the amortisation over longer for Mings, Konsa, Targett. Barkley left as did Hogan. Also the new players we signed joined in September due to the covid delay to start of last season. saving us a couple of months of amortisation. 

33 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

yeah I can't understand how our amortisation had dropped last year. Only thing I can think of is new contracts spread the amortisation over longer for Mings, Konsa, Targett. Barkley left as did Hogan. Also the new players we signed joined in September due to the covid delay to start of last season. saving us a couple of months of amortisation. 

New contracts and late transfer window obviously helps as you suggesting, but definetly it would not be enough to reduce our amortisation charge despite £100m of further incomings in the summer of 2020.

What could possibly explain it is if we "front loaded" amortisation charges for our Summer 2019 transfers, instead of normal linear amortisation. But these are murky accounting waters, the opposite to what Derby did actually. Wouldn't put it past Purslow though 😊self proclaimed Fernando Torres of football finance.

Edited by Czarnikjak

2 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

New contracts and late transfer window obviously helps as you suggesting, but definetly it would be not enough to reduce our amortisation charge despite £100m of further incomings in the summer of 2020.

What could possibly explain it is if we "front loaded" amortisation charges for our Summer 2019 transfers, instead of normal linear amortisation. But these are murky accounting waters, the opposite what Derby did actually.

I think we have a lot of the transfer fee's to be paid as add ons. I think Watkins is like 6-8m of add ons. So the reported transfer fees are 20-25% higher than the base fee. So it's more like 70m in new signings. So that's 15m per year in base amortisation for Cash, Watkins, Martinez, Traore and that's reduced by 1/3rd if we say amortisation is 8 months Oct-May. So It's only 10m additional to last seasons accounts for the new signings amortisation. The players who left we cancelled their contracts or sold so the losses would hit the player registration p/l. But still that means 26m of a drop between the two season when those new players are excluded. It doesn't add up

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think we have a lot of the transfer fee's to be paid as add ons. I think Watkins is like 6-8m of add ons. So the reported transfer fees are 20-25% higher than the base fee. So it's more like 70m in new signings. So that's 15m per year in base amortisation for Cash, Watkins, Martinez, Traore and that's reduced by 1/3rd if we say amortisation is 8 months Oct-May. So It's only 10m additional to last seasons accounts for the new signings amortisation. The players who left we cancelled their contracts or sold so the losses would hit the player registration p/l. But still that means 26m of a drop between the two season when those new players are excluded. It doesn't add up

Indeed, it doesn't add up.

I looked through the published accounts to see if we took Intangible Asset value impairment hit (Everton for example wrote of £30m of their playing squad value due to Covid and thus reduced their amortisation), but there's no sign of it.

I can only think of non linear, front loaded amortisation to explain it. That would explain why our amortisation jumped from £20m to £71m before. 

£51m amortisation increase after about £130m purchases in summer 2019 looks too high

Â