Callum Wilson

Delphinho123

For Context:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54001034

Aston Villa are hoping to sign Bournemouth's England striker Callum Wilson after opening talks on a deal worth about £20m.

Boss Dean Smith wants to add to Villa's attack after they stayed up on the final day of last season.

Wilson, 28, scored seven goals in 35 Premier League games as Bournemouth were relegated to the Championship.

Villa are also close to signing Nottingham Forest's English right-back Matty Cash, 23, for about £16m.

Cash was one of the standout performers in a Forest side that narrowly missed out on the Championship play-offs last season.

The academy graduate has made 141 appearances for the club since making his debut in 2016.

Bournemouth have already sold prime assets, such as defender Nathan Ake to Manchester City and goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale to Sheffield United, since their relegation to the second tier.

Wilson has won four England caps, the last of which came in the 6-0 win against Bulgaria in Sofia in October 2019, and has scored one goal.

He has also been linked with Newcastle, West Ham and Tottenham but Villa, who have also been touted as a potential destination for Brentford's Ollie Watkins, are ready to make a firm move.

Edited by Gillz

40 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Think this one deserves its own thread now.. gathering a bit of pace. 

Im all for it but 20m seems steep...?

Could i suggest adding a poll to the thread? Seems like this is a potential signing that is really splitting opinions 

Edited by Gillz

5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Yeah, top player - but 29, no resale so horrific piece of business. Awful.

A delight to watch, a pleasure, the kind of player fans love and you love to go and see...but 29 bad business. When I am in the stands and I see top experienced players performing and getting my bum of my seat I always think - 29 bad business.

Signing an injury prone 29 year old is a risk still.

I'm not adverse to signing older players but we shouldn't sign someone on the basis they played 45 mins of football for England Vs Belarus, 8 goals last season in 35 matches on 100k a week, great business.

Edited by AVFCforever1991

Just now, Gillz said:

Could i suggest adding a pole to the thread? Seems like this is a potential signing that is really splitting opinions 

Yes but do you really think there's any point going after Lewandowski? There's not a hope in hell he'd come.

2 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Yes but do you really think there's any point going after Lewandowski? There's not a hope in hell he'd come.

You say that, but he was one international geo-thermal disaster away from signing from Blackburn - so anything is possible!

(context: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11843087/how-blackburn-rovers-almost-bought-robert-lewandowski)

• Like 1

I'm not entirely sure what to think about this. 

Do we really want both Wilson and Watkins? Unless the plan is to put Watkins out wide but like I said in the transfer thread that would be a complete waste and highly disappointing imo. 

• Like 1

Why are people talking about Callum Wilson as if he's Daniel Struddige or someone, he's hardly missed any games through injury in the last two seasons and his goal record is excellent.  Just had a look at the Newcastle forum to see their reaction to him potentially signing for them and it's nowhere near as negative as on here, can only think people see other people being negative about it and just copy, and see stats like only getting double figures in one season and don't look any deeper into them.

Before they joined Southampton and Wolves Ings and Jiminez didn't look very prolific on first look barely ever getting into double figures, but they had excellent goals to minutes ratios, proving that when they're on the pitch they score goals, and the same is true for Wilson.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Why are people talking about Callum Wilson as if he's Daniel Struddige or someone, he's hardly missed any games through injury in the last two seasons and his goal record is excellent.  Just had a look at the Newcastle forum to see their reaction to him potentially signing for them and it's nowhere near as negative as on here, can only think people see other people being negative about it and just copy, and see stats like only getting double figures in one season and don't look any deeper into them.

Before they joined Southampton and Wolves Ings and Jiminez didn't look very prolific on first look barely ever getting into double figures, but they had excellent goals to minutes ratios, proving that when they're on the pitch they score goals, and the same is true for Wilson.

Say what 

My god this would really be the most "villa" signing ever. 

I had hoped we were better than that these days but as always it is the hope that gets you.

I really want this to be us lighting a fire under Brentford for Watkins.