Matty Cash

paul514

3 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I have zero sympathy for Spurs. I'll say that outright first of all. And I could give a shit if Bentancur got hurt.

HOWEVER I've said before that scissors tackles should be an instant red, so for consistency I need to hold to that here. It's a disgusting technique and any player doing it, whether they meant to - or realise the damage they can do - should immediately walk for it.

It's way more dangerous in a lot of cases than going in studs-up, which was outlawed years and years ago.

Good job it wasn't at all a scissor challenge, then!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

The challenge on Doherty (which is frequently being referenced by Spurs fans) was though, even though he went through the ball first. 

Yeah, that one had a wrap around impact - not jumped in, though.  Think he'd just gone for the ball and his body clatters Doherty.

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Good job it wasn't at all a scissor challenge, then!

Call it a wrap tackle if you want then. Cash puts his front leg around Bentancur from behind, with his grounded leg on the other side. The impact of the challenge is effectively the same as a scissor tackle, he's got the opponent in a momentary pincer that injures him.

6 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Call it a wrap tackle if you want then. Cash puts his front leg around Bentancur from behind, with his grounded leg on the other side. The impact of the challenge is effectively the same as a scissor tackle, he's got the opponent in a momentary pincer that injures him.

He doesn't wrap him - just smashes into his knee.  It's a very poor challenge, but not a wrap or a scissor or anything.

14 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He doesn't wrap him - just smashes into his knee.  It's a very poor challenge, but not a wrap or a scissor or anything.

Screenshot_20231129-1428112_copy_508x428.png.7b574274a4226fb8b1d1c5f43fc6eafd.png

You can see here that he has Bentancur's standing leg in a pincer here which as I've said is virtually the same as a scissors tackle in terms of impact.

29 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Screenshot_20231129-1428112_copy_508x428.png.7b574274a4226fb8b1d1c5f43fc6eafd.png

You can see here that he has Bentancur's standing leg in a pincer here which as I've said is virtually the same as a scissors tackle in terms of impact.

If you watch the challenge a tiny bit further, Cash's trailing leg is stretched and behind Bentancur:

image.png.df084ad1a1cbe1b2ebebe9813c590e3a.png

I can't see how he manages to somehow pincer him, then stretch his leg back out and then continue to bring it around again in the space of less than half a second.  It's just a nasty whack.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

If you watch the challenge a tiny bit further, Cash's trailing leg is stretched and behind Bentancur:

image.png.df084ad1a1cbe1b2ebebe9813c590e3a.png

I can't see how he manages to somehow pincer him, then stretch his leg back out and then continue to bring it around again in the space of less than half a second.  It's just a nasty whack.

Agreed. I watched it again on MOTD2 on BBC Iplayer and it is just a clumsy tackle which was slightly mistimed, the type you see fairly regularly due to the fast pace of the game these days. Unfortunately for Bentancur and Spurs he has been injured by the tackle, but I am pretty sure that Cash would not have gone out intentionally to knobble him. A yellow card was the correct decision in my opinion, it was just very unlucky for Bentancur and hopefully he makes a speedy recovery.

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Anyone who's ever played competitive football at any level has seen, dished out or been on the receiving end of that tackle several times a season. Deserving of a yellow because he was nowhere near the ball, but this outcry is mental

Fully agree. If he wins the ball it's not even a foul. He doesn't and is late so it's a yellow. End of. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Anyone who's ever played competitive football at any level has seen, dished out or been on the receiving end of that tackle several times a season. Deserving of a yellow because he was nowhere near the ball, but this outcry is mental

Absolutely this - it’s not as though Cash is some silent assassin, who has made a name out of GBH on fellow pros.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Who F'n Cares what Cash did to Bentancur. Our player is fine that's all that matters. Football incidents end in injures often. It's a contact sport. 

Hmm.... Ben Mee springs to mind.  In this case I think that Cash's challenge was poor and mistimed but it wasn't dangerous or a potential career / season ender.  You see a challenge like this in almost every match and it is always a yellow and usually both players get up and carry on with no issue.  It was unfortunate that Bentancur was injured (but possibly also slightly down to him being out for so long and not being 100% match ready?) but if you give a red for (poor) tackles like this then pretty much no match ever finishes with 22 players.  I don't think you can even argue that it was a challenge worthy of the 10 minute sin bin (assuming that they bring it in).

• Like 2

Â