Kieran Trippier

Enda

The Torygraph is reporting that we're in for Trippier: 

Aston Villa keen to sign Kieran Trippier from Atletico Madrid to bolster defence

Trippier, 29, moved to Spain from Tottenham a year ago and has two years left on his contract at Wanda Metropolitano

Wouldn't trust that newspaper on Brexit, but on football rumours? Might be something in this.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’d take him, he’d probably want silly wages but he has quite a lot of Premier League experience which I feel we lack. I think it is good that we seem to be trying to do our business early in both the academy and first team. He’s an England international too but if we did sign him, I’d worry what would happen to Guilbert

I’d be happy to take him if Elmo were off. Let Guilbert and Trippier duke it out for the right back position.

in fairness though, there are a few more important positions to be worrying about as we stand.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I love them, I can keep up to date with who we want to sign

That's not the case. These are speculation threads with the weakest sources available, thus Rashica haven't happened and probably won't happen, despite him having a 150 page thread. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, useless said:

This forum has always had speculation threads for individuals once they've been linked with their own article by the main press, not sure why people are moaning about them now.

Because that's exactly what's changed. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, useless said:

This forum has always had speculation threads for individuals once they've been linked with their own article by the main press, not sure why people are moaning about them now.

It really hasnt useless. When there is solid evidence we hav ebid for a player then a thread is usually opened

• Like 1

If we’re waiting for solid evidence of a bid, we would wait a long time with the way the club is now run. They keep everything very tight, which is the right way of course but doesn’t help with our Villa obsessed speculation. It unfortunately means that the so called professional press make up even more tenuous rubbish to fill column inches/click bait. 

Both the Sun and Telegraph are not on the list. Given the rules, @useless is absolutely right. We have had plenty of threads historically where players with links haven’t ended up signing. It was just last season when we signing pretty much everyone that happened!

Anyway, Trippier just doesn’t sound right to me. Likely to be a huge wage/fee with little to no resale value. Would come in as one of the older players already and seems perfectly content in Spain.

Would I want him? Not sure, definitely would prefer someone younger like Aarons and from the sounds of it would be similar in fee value, likely to be less wages and has a lot more potential, so I would go for them instead. We still have Elmo for another year and he is a very reliable professional that is good to have around the squad.

To be fair whilst I wouldn’t mind another RB, there are bigger priorities this window to sort out unless they it is something that is going to massively improve the squad long term, like Aarons. 

• Like 2

The journalist linking us to Trippier is Mike McGrath, a quick websearch and I see that he linked us with a move for Pedro back in December, this move is probably about as likely as that was. I do think that we'll be trying to upgrade our right-back though, whilst Elmohamady has been a trusty faithful servant, if he's starting games at right-back on a regular basis for you in the premier league because it's questionable whether you have anyone any better then that probably tells you that you need improvements in that area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1