Jaden Philogene

Kingman

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

If we sell him, I’m convinced another big wide attacking player is coming in. Can’t sell, Archer, Ramsey, Philogene with the Buendia injury and not reinforce. Traore will be gone and Coutinho is now injured too. 

Apparently Barca are starting a 16 year old ahead of Ferran Torres tonight so I still think there is something in that if he can decide we're a good enough team for him to grace us with his presence. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

If we sell him, I’m convinced another big wide attacking player is coming in. Can’t sell, Archer, Ramsey, Philogene with the Buendia injury and not reinforce. Traore will be gone and Coutinho is now injured too. 

How big are we talking 6ft? 😝

50 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Apparently Barca are starting a 16 year old ahead of Ferran Torres tonight so I still think there is something in that if he can decide we're a good enough team for him to grace us with his presence. 

Torres came off the bench and scored, first mins of season for Barca (only 2nd game of season)

Edited by CVByrne

I think the club might be thinking if he's only going to make brief appearances, then might as well let him go where he's going to play every week, and we can give the game time he would have got to Kellyman and Kadan Young, who we might see as having more potential long-term anyway, they're in that space where they're young enough that there's no desperate rush for them to be playing first team football, but also good enough that we can give them minutes in the right circumstances.

We've got a good stream of academy players coming through, as some leave, probably won't be long before we start seeing the likes of Triston Rowe, Jimoh, Lynch, Broggio and so on are training with the first team.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

People saying we'd need him if we get a couple of injuries, I think it's also fair to say that after a couple of injuries we wouldn't be clamouring to sign a winger from Hull.

He looks a bright spark, but if fulfills his potential he'll be back again anyway.

He'll get nowhere sitting on the bench here hoping one of the first team does a hamstring.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I recon at the rate we are going he will be first choice by October. 

edit - ah, beaten to it!

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 1

If we let these players stagnate keeping them around for a few fleeting appearances then why will the next generation choose us over another academy?

99% won't make it with us but if we can get them a future in the game then it's good for everyone. 

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Xela said:

I'm not that fussed about Philogene as I always thought it would be a stretch for him to be a regular here... I thought he'd attract a better suitor than Hull though, no disrespect to them.

We all agree that J Ramsey is a key player for us... he would never be given the opportunity here anymore. There has to be a balance between buying players for NOW and developing players for the future. All I hear is FFP and 'pure profit' but what about developing players so you don't need to pay £50m for someone?

I'm probably in the minority but I find it disappointing. 

J Ramsey was given an opportunity ahead of someone worth about £2 million when our target was finishing 12th and only finishing 14th wouldn't be a disaster.  Which of our £40 million midfielders should we be leaving out to give a kid a chance just in case he might be good?

Meanwhile A Ramsey has been loaned out to get regular football in the PL and we've got the option of re-signing him if he does really well and it looks like he'll be a £50m player for less than half of that figure.  If he does well it's really not much different to a glorified loan.  If he doesn't do well we've made good money on him and been able to spend that money on a player who can make a bigger contribution now.  He's more likely to prove that he's worth £50m playing week in / week out in the PL than by playing a few minutes in a cup competition against L2 level teams (which is all we can really offer him).

• Like 4

4 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Davis?

Anyway, back OT - a bit surprised by this, but he's just got so much in front of him that it's hard to see him making himself undroppable. He's a "proper" winger, which we don't really play with. I thought we'd keep him around if we had 2 or 3 injuries (like say Ramsey, Buendia and Coutinho..) and maybe have given him minutes in Europe to rest/protect Bailey, but FFP profit is FFP profit...

Shame.

But we're not selling him for FFP profit just for the owners to line their ownpockets.  If we sell him we'll be using the money to help bring in a better player who might just make themselves undroppable.  In the meantime the player gets the chance to play every week rather than sitting on the bench and maybe playing the odd 20 minutes against lower quality teams.  Would be silly to turn down money for him now which stops us signing a better player so that he can play a few minutes in Europe - especially if disaster happens and we then failed to win the qualifying tie.

• Like 1

Seen a lot of Philogene in pre-season and was mightily impressed by him so was shocked that he didn’t start the first game. Very fast and direct and deserved to start ahead of Bailey.

Now Emery is thinking of selling him.

Really don’t understand it with the amount of games Villa will have to play this season if they get past Hibs?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

People saying we'd need him if we get a couple of injuries, I think it's also fair to say that after a couple of injuries we wouldn't be clamouring to sign a winger from Hull.

He looks a bright spark, but if fulfills his potential he'll be back again anyway.

He'll get nowhere sitting on the bench here hoping one of the first team does a hamstring.

Oh I don't know about that.

If he sticks around, the way we're going he could be starting in two weeks.

3 minutes ago, striker said:

Seen a lot of Philogene in pre-season and was mightily impressed by him so was shocked that he didn’t start the first game. Very fast and direct and deserved to start ahead of Bailey.

Now Emery is thinking of selling him.

Really don’t understand it with the amount of games Villa will have to play this season if they get past Hibs?

So just to confirm...

Jacob Ramsey a championship player.

Doug Luiz overrated.

Yet Philogene is mightily impressive.

Enjoy the championship. You won't be coming back.

• Like 1

Disappointed with us selling him. For me it sends the wrong message. He's had two championship loans, done well in  both. Been our best wide player in preseason,  but selling for peanuts! If he goes we only have 3 winger / wide forward players including the injured JJ. This seems ridiculous. 

Monchi seems to be behind this. He wants to sell off all our young talent, replace with an injury prone (but talented ) Zaniolo, while sending Digne on a loan while paying most of his wages to Nice. And to top it off Coutinho's just had his millionth hamstring injury.

Pardon me for being sceptical! But our squad is thinner now than at the end of last season.

Also we need to be mindful of the disruptive effect lots of incomings and outgoings can have on a squad. 

Edited by Philosopher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Monchi seems to be behind this.

I do worry that he might jettison off our homegrown young talent for "win now" older Spanish and Italian players..

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

I do worry that he might jettison off our homegrown young talent for "win now" older Spanish and Italian players..

Well he has been successful at Sevilla for about 10 years. Isnt that what us Villa fans would like, to be succesful? Maybe let him do his thing then?

• Like 1

Â