Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

On 18/02/2024 at 10:06, Delphinho123 said:

He is some athlete. Must really look after himself off the pitch - full credit to him.

Two very good finishes yesterday, the first one especially. He’s having a cracking season, no doubt.

Must be a dream for a manager knowing he’s going to be available every match.

I know he has his critics.....but look at his record of consistency year on year.....many strikers have ups and downs seasons.

He is much better, than we think he is.

Ollie is not perfect, strikers rarely are........its the hardest position to play in a football team, imo.

Getting into rarified air now. 1 goal behind JPA (62) and 3 behind Platt (64) in our all-time list. All old-timers after that until you reach Shaw on 77 and Gray on 78.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I know he has his critics.....but look at his record of consistency year on year.....many strikers have ups and downs seasons.

Ollie is not perfect, strikers rarely are........its the hardest position to play in a football team, imo.

Every team in the league bar probably City and Liverpool would have him.

I almost don't want to mention it for fear of the Villa curse striking him down, but his fitness and lack of injuries is absolutely sensational.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Risso said:

I almost don't want to mention it for fear of the Villa curse striking him down, but his fitness and lack of injuries is absolutely sensational.

It genetics. 

These things are not a coincidence. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, WHY said:

Salah has scored 4 penalties, Kane and Haaland have 3 and Martinez have 2 so this is even more impressive. 

Although we all know why Watkins no longer takes our penalties 😅

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TRO said:

I've never had any doubts about him even during his lean spells. My type of forward. 

• Like 1

They were exceptional finishes. The first one, the turn made it so he could get a shot away without it being it blocked, was very clever play.

The second, he struck it at the perfect time and made a perfect connection. A classic number 9 finish that one. Hasselbaink/Shearer esque.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

They were exceptional finishes. The first one, the turn made it so he could get a shot away without it being it blocked, was very clever play.

The second, he struck it at the perfect time and made a perfect connection. A classic number 9 finish that one. Hasselbaink/Shearer esque.

It's his movement for the second as well.  Comes deep, dragging Diop with him and then just suddenly turns and blitzes him for pace.  Gives him the space to get in behind and then, as you say, just hits it so hard and early - could go either way; so hard for the keeper.

Both goals are brilliant and both are all about clever movement to enable the 'best' shooting opportunity.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Shaw and Gray are not "old-timers"?

Daley Atkinson is an "old timer" as far as I'm concerned. Anyone that left/retired before I started following Villa.

JPA is an old timer for some fans

• Shocked 1

Watkins has surprised me this season. I think he has improved more than any other player under Emery. Smith and Gerrard's Watkins wouldn't have scored either chance vs Fulham.

He would have snapped at the first on the turn and been blocked, and then ran the second another touch and gotten closed down by the keeper.

• Like 1

Â