Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

58 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Not signing another experienced striker to push him is a big mistake.

This is the key. He knows he's up against a complete rookie in Duran and his only other competition (Archer) has gone out of the door.

My only real criticism of our management team is that they didn't get Danjuma in. He's a unit, has experience of the league and, they managed him before. He would've really pushed Watkins. 

He starts every season poorly though, doesn't he?

Even in his first season, prior to January, he scored a Hattrick again Liverpool, a brace against arsenal and a penalty against Southampton.

One way to look at is 6 goals, which is decent. Another way to look at it is only 2 games he's scored from open play. The following seasons he also picked up only 3-4 goals (with all the caveats of managerial changes and the team being overall poor).

I hope this isn't a trend because we can't wait for 2024 for him to start scoring regularly.

14 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

He’s more a winger albeit an average one, than a striker, doesn't have the natural instinct. His current form reminds me of late stage Gabby, with his poor touch/ control etc

Disagree entirely. He’s not good enough technically to be a winger. He’s definitely a striker and a decent one at that.

I do wonder if we’ll see Diaby start instead of him soon though with Zaniolo behind. 

He’s had a poor start to the season. There’s no getting away from that for me. He’s got enough credit in the bank though for sure. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, birdman said:

Ollie obviously going through one of his "needs a goal" spells. I'm not overly concerned but like everyone else been wanting another top out and out striker for ages now. Seemed well off it today in terms of work rate which is unusual but when the whole team struggles a negative mentality spreads like poison.

Problem is those spells can begin 5 minutes after he does score and he pouts and looks like he has the world on his shoulders.

He definitely doesn't seem as interested in fighting for long 'nothing' balls.

I'm afraid if you don't win some of those Ollie your use to us goes well down.

Buck up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Why was there uproar he didnt make it into the England squad?

Because that was on a day that we were still good. 

We’ve just lost so the whole team is s**t at the moment. Try a fortnights time and we will be outraged again. 

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Farlz said:

One of the most frustrating players ever in a Villa shirt. 

Never changed either. Has one good game though and a few come out and say, I told you he was brilliant. Inconsistent to say the least, you can guarantee, when some of having a bad game like today, he joins them.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Disagree entirely. He’s not good enough technically to be a winger. He’s definitely a striker and a decent one at that.

I do wonder if we’ll see Diaby start instead of him soon though with Zaniolo behind. 

He’s had a poor start to the season. There’s no getting away from that for me. He’s got enough credit in the bank though for sure. 

not a england player  im afraid

47 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I still think he's an inverted forward and not an out and out CF. Been anonymous in the first 4 PL games. I'd been inclined to try Zaniolo as point man with Watkins and Diaby either side at times. 

Good shout! 

Â