Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Just now, andycv said:

He's 27 - 28 in December.  Who are we replacing him with if we do sell?

Tammy Abrahams, next season. If he won't sign then keep him for another season and let him go next year. He may fire us to CL and if he does then we are a different proposition to this season. 

Point is we can't become to reliant on any single player, at the moment Martinez and Ollie and those two players that we can't replace from the squad, that needs to change. 

We will always be reliant on players!  There will always be some that seem more important to the team than others - and a regular goal scorer is always going to be one of those....  I am pretty sure Ollie will be signing a new contract - but we'll see!

35 minutes ago, andycv said:

He's 27 - 28 in December.  Who are we replacing him with if we do sell?

Target would probably be someone 22-24. Similar attributes but hopefully turning a profit. I'm fairly sure our vast scouting network and leadership could source someone. 

Just hoping we don't get Ollie going in his shell again like when he had competition from another player like he did with Danny Ings 🤔 since Diaby has come into the side seems to have dropped off ...... maybe nothing but 💁‍♂️

12 minutes ago, Frodo said:

Just hoping we don't get Ollie going in his shell again like when he had competition from another player like he did with Danny Ings 🤔 since Diaby has come into the side seems to have dropped off ...... maybe nothing but 💁‍♂️

I think it's a real stretch to look for a pattern with Diaby, they've probably had 90 minutes or less on a pitch together. I think Watkins has just been Watkins, scores some chances, misses some chances, work rate is still ridiculously high and add in the fact that he's playing In a friendly tournament in ridiculous heat. 

He'll get double figures again this season, I'm confident of that. He'll have some good spells and some dry spells.

Edited by cheltenham_villa

1 minute ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I think it's a real stretch to look for a pattern with Diaby, they've probably had 90 minutes or less on a pitch together. I think Watkins has just been Watkins, scores some chances, misses some chances, work rate is still ridiculously high and add in the fact that he's playing In a friendly tournament in ridiculous heat. 

He'll get double figures again this season, I'm confident of that. He'll have some good spells and some dry spells.

Your probably right, I just think he thrives when he knows he is the main man, think he struggled when Ings was here, sometimes he played, sometimes together & other times he'd be on the bench. When Ings left you seen the change in him, he was brilliant, just think abit of competition gets in his head abit. Like I said it's probably & hopefully nothing because Watkins & Diaby should be a right handful next season 

He's just too hit and miss to be the main striker for where we want to get to. Three woeful efforts today, any one of them goes in and we win the game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Risso said:

He's just too hit and miss to be the main striker for where we want to get to. Three woeful efforts today, any one of them goes in and we win the game. 

Yeah I can't help but feel the same. 

Is he the man to fire us to champions league? I'm not sure. 

I thought his overall play was very good today but he's missed some good chances. 

I like ollie, but he misses to many chances, for us to progress to the next level we need a clinical striker, sadly ollie will never be this, it might be preseason but the 3 chances he should of buried today. 

But can we find that striker is the question. 

If he wasn't banned till January, I'd be all in on Ivan Toney, he'd of buried the 3 chances ollie had. 

Edited by Joshie2000
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I thought his overall play was very good today but he's missed some good chances. 

And all of that is probably true, but we don't get to upgrade him yet. We need a more sustained period of upward growth first. Patience is required.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Can't change all the players in one window though.

It's not good for team chemistry, OR morale.

Goals are spread around the team now, and Ollie offers alot of the ugly work which helps the overall team out.

Modern teams don't necessarily just rely on a striker for goals anymore.

Top quality strikers are difficult to find, even for the top teams.

Increments Imo, we either try to nurture our own or extensively scout while trying to get the best out of him.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

I like Ollie. I think that he’s a really good player and a top lad too but I don’t think he has looked himself in pre season so far. He looks a little bit disinterested. I wonder if the contract discussions are unsettling him  or whether he’s had his head turned by another club! Hopefully I’m reading too much into it and he’ll sign his new contract soon and then go on to smash 20 plus league goals this season.

12 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I like Ollie. I think that he’s a really good player and a top lad too but I don’t think he has looked himself in pre season so far. He looks a little bit disinterested. I wonder if the contract discussions are unsettling him  or whether he’s had his head turned by another club! Hopefully I’m reading too much into it and he’ll sign his new contract soon and then go on to smash 20 plus league goals this season.

Probably looking forward to getting back to family life , missing the kids and all that , far flung tours don’t flick everyone’s switch 

• Like 1

We need an alternative to play as a central striker because he can be streaky. I wonder if Diaby could be that player? I don’t think Duran and Archer are good enough.

We absolutely need to bring in another forward this window. Preferably one that can play across the forward line like F. Torres. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

If strikers are the sole reason you get Champions League football, then don't worry Wout Weghoust, Callum Wilson and Eddie Nketiah helped get their teams CL football just this season past.

Â