Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

40 minutes ago, YLN said:

Villa sold Ings and the next day Watkins started scoring and he hasn't stopped.

Watkins needs to be the only show in town and doesn't benefit from competition or looking over his shoulder. He is not liable to complacency. Unai recognised that and gave it to him.

Lot of people on here cried when we sold Ings. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

I recall people on here asking us to sell him in January.

And rightly so - Let’s just take a little rain check for a small moment here. Ollie has been very poor for us, you can’t overlook this fact - right know he is looking like a very different proposition, but we just need to see if this is a permanent transition into a new Ollie Watkins or he has hit top form and his confidence levels are sky high.

In my humble opinion - I think Unai is turning him into a top striker, I don’t think he scores his second goal - pre Christmas which considering this is just a short while back - the transformation is even more remarkable and is credit to his ability and willingness to learn and adapt, however I would just err on the side of caution for the time being 

• Like 1

I am worried that both Arsenal and Man Utd will be both come in for him in the Summer. I believe it’s well documented that he’s an Arsenal fan, so that might be attractive. But I think he would be a starter in both of their teams, not just a squad player.

But, there is always going to be a risk of that when players are performing as he is. The price of success.

If we can keep momentum and spirit, then I think a lot of these players will give us at least one more season to see what Unai can do with us.

16 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

I am worried that both Arsenal and Man Utd will be both come in for him in the Summer. I believe it’s well documented that he’s an Arsenal fan, so that might be attractive. But I think he would be a starter in both of their teams, not just a squad player.

But, there is always going to be a risk of that when players are performing as he is. The price of success.

If we can keep momentum and spirit, then I think a lot of these players will give us at least one more season to see what Unai can do with us.

I have been having that same thought myself. But sometimes its best not to mix business with pleasure. Support them from afar Ollie. And commit your best years to the club and manager that will always pick you and build the tactics around you. 

Plus we would not sell him anyway. He will be 29 and a half at the end of his contract. His cost will have been amortised. 

Edited by MWARLEY2

23 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

This version of Watkins is better than Benteke. Don't get me wrong Benteke scored some absolute worldies for us but I think we forget how important Watkins pressing from the front is. He presses at that level for the full 90. That's wild. Absolutely insane, a top class striker is willing to do that level of defensive work.

I wouldn't go that far yet, Benteke at his best was top class at everything, best you could get as a target player, in the air he almost jumped the height of the cross bar and scored many headers at corners, he dribbled and ran through defences and scored (against the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool), he even took free kicks at some point and scored. Watkins is better at pressing all game, and better at running on balls plyed in behind the defence. But Benteke was more complete. 

I really love watching Watkins now, with his confidence and him playing to his strenghts, what Emery has done is fantastic. But he still has a little bit of a heavy touch and does not have that smooth passing ability or always those clean strikes that many top class strikers have. With his commitment and willingness to improve it might come tough. And what he contributes with now with his goals and his pressing is just amazing, long may it continue! 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

He'll sign bumper contract soon and we're not a selling club. Grealish was different as was Man City and agent and father in his ear and we'd just finished in 11th after just staying up previous season

Just now, Keener window-cleaner said:

I wouldn't go that far yet, Benteke at his best was top class at everything, best you could get as a target player, in the air he almost jumped the height of the cross bar and scored many headers at corners, he dribbled and ran through defences and scored (against the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool), he even took free kicks at some point and scored. Watkins is better at pressing all game, and better at running on balls plyed in behind the defence. But Benteke was more complete. 

I really love watching Watkins now, with his confidence and him playing to his strenghts, what Emery has done is fantastic. But he still has a little bit of a heavy touch and does not have that smooth passing ability or always those clean strikes that many top class strikers have. With his commitment and willingness to improve it might come tough. And what he contributes with now with his goals and his pressing is just amazing, long may it continue! 

Watkins is like a hybrid of JPA and Gabby at the monent. Running in behind like Gabby but also the cleverness and confidence in the box like ( prime) JPA. 

• Like 1

Just now, MWARLEY2 said:

Watkins is like a hybrid of JPA and Gabby at the monent. Running in behind like Gabby but also the cleverness and confidence in the box like ( prime) JPA. 

Agree, that's a good comparison. Not quite as clever and not quite the same touch as JPA, but faster and presses more. Not quite as fast as Gabby, but more clever and better with the ball. So very much a hybrid with the best of both of them.

11 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

What was his goal celebration? Kind of patting his hands downwards as if to say calm down, then a finger across his throat but didn’t seem ‘throat slitting’ if that makes sense? He did it after the goal disallowed by VAR and I thought he was saying “calm down, don’t over celebrate, I think I might be offside” but then he did it again after his first actual goal once all the team celebration was over. Just curious if I’m missing something obvious - could have been a message for one single person of course.

The patting hands down thing he does generally, but I think he mouthed "its over" when he did the throat thing.  Shows the confidence he/the side have I guess - 2-0 after an hour and they're like "yeah, this game is done pals".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The patting hands down thing he does generally, but I think he mouthed "its over" when he did the throat thing.  Shows the confidence he/the side have I guess - 2-0 after an hour and they're like "yeah, this game is done pals".

Yeah, that is how I read it also.

Pretty cool celebration too!

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

44 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

This is spot on.

On 09/04/2023 at 00:20, SecretVillaScout said:

37 PL Goals for Aston Villa. 36 more goals to become our All Time top PL goalscorer. 

Now up to 42 goals scored for Villa, overtaken Ashley Young and Ian Taylor. 

Next up for him are David Platt, Dean Saunders and Julian Joachim all with 44 goals.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

Now up to 42 goals scored for Villa, overtaken Ashley Young and Ian Taylor. 

Next up for him are David Platt, Dean Saunders and Julian Joachim all with 44 goals.

Joachim a very underrated scorer for Villa

12 hours ago, GeordieVillan said:

I think Kane -> Man United makes too much sense this summer (providing United get Top 4). Kane wants to stay in the PL to get the all-time goals record and I think he's done at Spurs.

I'd be surprised if Arsenal went in for him. He plays the same position as Jesus, would be an incredibly expensive acquisition for someone not guaranteed to improve their first XI. 

46 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

I think Kane -> Man United makes too much sense this summer (providing United get Top 4). Kane wants to stay in the PL to get the all-time goals record and I think he's done at Spurs.

I'd be surprised if Arsenal went in for him. He plays the same position as Jesus, would be an incredibly expensive acquisition for someone not guaranteed to improve their first XI. 

Definitely makes sense. Can't see him going anywhere else in truth. Not unless he goes to a PSG/Madrid type but doubt that would happen. 

Spurs could be in a right mess next season. I look at their starting XI and I see a lack of quality all over. Their back 5 is a car crash - Romero aside. 

1 hour ago, Cizzler said:

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Kane will be at Utd still not winning anything and arsenal have Jesus so I don’t see them jizzing what £75 mill on Watkins unless they get rid however Jesus is very injury prone. I am loving Watkins right now but my confidence in emery is such that I feel he would get another striker working too because he improves and moulds players so be it a new striker or archer/Duran I’m not overly concerned but will say this I do want Ollie to stay for sure

Â