Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

i dont think Toney should have been picked, if for no other reason than the tool is subject to literally hundreds of betting charges, its unreal he has been picked tbh.

Aside from this, i just dont think Watkins is good enough to be picked for England, if he is picked, its more of an indictment for the quality of English strikers than anything.

Im not saying Watkins is "bad", he is a good striker, but he isnt elite in any way (other than workrate).

• Like 2

Just now, MaVilla said:

i dont think Toney should have been picked, if for no other reason than the tool is subject to literally hundreds of betting charges, its unreal he has been picked tbh.

Aside from this, i just dont think Watkins is good enough to be picked for England, if he is picked, its more of an indictment for the quality of English strikers than anything.

Im not saying Watkins is "bad", he is a good striker, but he isnt elite in any way (other than workrate).

Toney isn’t elite either, neither is Wilson. Neither was Calvert Lewin but constantly got chances when he was fit.  Watkins is a better all round striker than all those too.

When you see dross like Phillips, Maguire, Dire and Pickford in the squad there really isn’t a high benchmark to get in that squad so being elite or not is irrelevant.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Toney isn’t elite either, neither is Wilson. Neither was Calvert Lewin but constantly got chances when he was fit.  Watkins is a better all round striker than all those too.

When you see dross like Phillips, Maguire, Dire and Pickford in the squad there really isn’t a high benchmark to get in that squad so being elite or not is irrelevant.

Phillips has hardly kicked a ball lately 😆

Be real, which one of those forwards should he be in over?

There is more of a case for outrage over Mings probably.

He has been playing well but majority of people on here would pick any of Foden, Grealish, Toney, Saka or Rashford over him.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He has been playing well but majority of people on here would pick any of Foden, Grealish, Toney, Saka or Rashford over him.

I think it would, for me, be Toney given that he is essentially a walking ban and a massive stain on the FA's reputation by selecting him given the charges he has already admitted. 

I have just as much of an issue with other positions, where players are supposedly picked on form, yet they have either been in anything but form (Dier, Henderson, Gallagher), or not played at all (Maguire, Phillips)...

Shame for him but I’m happy because he can focus on Villa, avoid injury with England, not get distracted by England team mates talking to him about moving like it seems to happen to all our players, and he gets rest and more coaching time with Emery rather whatever Southgate calls his training sessions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I don’t think he is a better player than Toney to be truthful with you, but given the current circumstances, it does seem an odd decision to me. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MrBlack said:

It always amazes me how bad some players can "look" when playing in the Premier league.

The number of semi pros I've played alongside that have absolutely wiped the floor with any of the usual crowd I played with, and yet never even got close to making it out the local Saturday league, let alone into non league.

PL pros are all an absolute mile above what you see in the day to day, but the difference is they're playing against other players of a similar standard, and it can make them look poor on occasion.

Watkins is insanely fit, and his finishing and first touch are better than he'd been showing, until his recent run of form. He's also now got a coach, playing an actual system and, that is coaching him on where to be and when to be there. Great to see him back in form.

I agree with that, and I can see a difference in him.....I have always liked Ollie in an overall sense, but still recognised he needed to score more goals, too.

He is now doing the perfect thing, scoring in nearly every game....Its not just about numbers, its about regualrity as much.

All strikers need, quality service, and I think that is improving too.

I never had a inkling about selling him......just wanted him to be more of the player, he is showing now.....The acid test is consistency.

It is so hard, to score a goal a game, in this league......Bravo Ollie.

Another thing about him is......He looks like a footballer, built like one.

Edited by TRO

On 15/03/2023 at 10:21, nick76 said:

I dont think it's certain players, it's all players that fans turn on.  Ollie hasnt had a bad run of form, I think that is disingenuous slightly, I think he had a long period of underperformance.  He played so well when he came to Villa, he looked like he could really kick on and his partnership with Grealish was brilliant. 

We always knew that his first touch and finishing skills was more than offset by his workrate and pressing but he tailed off when Grealish left, Ings came in, Smith left and he had a baby.  Ollie has to be confident, on form and scoring to be a top 10 striker in my opinion and when he is, he's brilliant but when he's not, the debate on this forum is whether his workrate is sufficient to cover the other deficiencies and as we know before December/January that people fell on either side of that discussion and it got very heated in this thread.

So he started his career very well at Villa, then had the second phase of his career wasnt great and now his third phase is going extremely well...let's hope this third phase continues and it was a one step back to take two steps forward but I dont think his bad period could be put down to form, it was too long for that in my opinion.  I believe he is more than capable for us in our near term ambitions as long as his playing confidently and is on form.  In terms of the squad, I do worry that if his confidence drops again and he has a bad period of form, where do we look to for goals because he will have periods of that.  Our reliance then on Duran and maybe Archer for next season seems a big ask and yes we need more goals from elsewhere in the team but I think we need another forward to ease that pressure.

As for short memories re players, I think that is harsh...we got promoted and survived that following season.  We then played so well for half a season (the 55 point season) and faded badly second half of the season with a lot of these players and then had a bad next season under Smith and Gerrard, then started this season poorly.  We essentially had almost 2 years (basically 2 calendar years from January '21 until Emery came in at the end of Oct '22) of poor football before Emery came in with many of these players, so you can understand why so fans were writing off many of these players because they hadnt done it for so long.........so it wasnt a quick write off of players at all.

I agree with all that......but I don't remember Dean Smith having a baby after he left?😂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

The annoying this is BBC and Southgate etc saying it's a team picked on form when half of them have been crocked, shit or not played

Southgate used to say that grealish needed to play in the PL to get selected then went ahead and picked mount and Phillips in the championship. The guy is full of shit. 

• Like 1

Â