Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

I don't know about other fans, but I think he is underestimated by some posters on this forum.

He does what every striker does - not putting away what appear to be easy chances. We see it all the time.

It must be remembered that also Watkins workrate is incredible, and very important to us.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, est1874 said:

A few. Jamie Vardy, Antonio for West Ham 3 seasons in a row, Ivan Toney, Bamford for Leeds would have managed that if his injury hadn't destroyed last season for him. It's not hard to score 10 goals a season in a team that creates lots of chances, that's a return of just 1 in just under 4 games...

I don’t know Jesus has only done it twice i 6 season ,  Mitrovic twice in 5 seasons Calvert Lewint twice in 7   , Lacazette averaged 12 goals per season , Callum Wilson twice in 8 seasons, Martial 3 times in 8 seasons. All the above have probably been mentioned as superior to Ollie  but none have been able to deliver on a consistent basis, yes you could throw the but they’ve had injuries and any other excuse but they’ve all played almost double the amount of games.

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

You place far too much importance on the pure numbers. You need to look at all round performances more. Ollie hasn't been bad lately but he does limit us in many ways.

I disagree. I think the issue is other parts of the team. I think with better players around him in the creative roles he'll do even better. 

• Like 1

Just now, Woody1000 said:

Come on, scoring in 3 consecutive games is not exactly helping the team is it?… 

Jeez, this guy…

I did say he's been ok lately. But do you not understand how a player can score a few goals but still be detrimental to a team as a whole? Very basic level of thinking there.

Ollie’s record since Emery has come in has actually been very good, 5 goals and 2 assists in 9 games / 8 starts (excluding a short cameo in the FA cup disaster). Hopefully it’s a sign he’s getting back to where he was when he was firing under Dean Smith. The previous manager was an absolute disaster on and off the pitch, but Watkins now looks far more settled under Emery and the whole team seems to be clicking better in the final third too. 

His long term record now is 34 goals in 100 games for us, which isn’t bad considering he’s had a couple of tough spells. He’s never going to be a world class player but if he stays at this level he’s a solid PL striker 

• Like 1

I thought we needed an improvement in this position, but I'm very happy with Watkins. If we get a more 'clinical' striker (Ings anyone?) we sacrifice in other areas at our £20-40m price budget.

Ings would not score the goal at Man City. 

Especially with Carlos coming back, he will feed him long balls to run into much more accurately which is what he was best known for in Spain. 

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

I did say he's been ok lately. But do you not understand how a player can score a few goals but still be detrimental to a team as a whole? Very basic level of thinking there.

Surely with Ollie it's more the other way, though?  Most people who criticise him say "yeah, he works hard off the ball and brings up the team but he doesn't score enough".

If he's scoring as well as doing all the good stuff that he does off the ball... surely we just have a good striker?

I saw that Aston Villa official put out something for his 100th appearance and he's basically a 1 in 2 forward for goal involvements.  That's decent.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tom13 said:

He himself limits our creativity because he doesn't make intelligent runs in behind anywhere near often enough. Just compare Buendia and Ings to Buendia and Watkins.

How can you simultaneously knock the guy for missing 1-on-1's but then say he doesn't make the runs?  It makes no sense!

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, bobzy said:

How can you simultaneously knock the guy for missing 1-on-1's but then say he doesn't make the runs?  It makes no sense!

You can still get one-on-ones without making enough intelligent runs mate, come on, of course it makes sense. He plays every minute as our central striker ffs. But I haven't really been criticising his finishing lately anyway so no idea where that's come from.

He does do some good stuff off the ball with his energy and work rate, that I would never question. But his lack of footballing intelligence is surely obvious to most? Even when Jack was in the team, on a few occasions he'd have to hold on to the ball for ages until Ollie realised the run he's supposed to make. His technique and touch are also generally average-to-sometimes-poor. If there's a fluid attacking move, Ollie is unlikely to be a part of it. On the end of it, sometimes yeah, but not linking play. Look at Ings' first-time flick to Sanson for his recent goal, Ollie just doesn't have that kind of play in his locker. If people don't think he's limited in these areas, I have no idea what to say.

Look at how many more chances Ings got in much less game time. He's a clever player, who was on the same wavelength as the likes of Buendia. You just don't get that with Ollie.

I'm not hating on him and I don't dislike him, but I do think he limits us in some ways.

Edited by Tom13

9 hours ago, Tom13 said:

ou can still get one-on-ones without making enough intelligent runs mate, come on, of course it makes sense. He plays every minute as our central striker ffs. But I haven't really been criticising his finishing lately anyway so no idea where that's come from.

He does do some good stuff off the ball with his energy and work rate, that I would never question. But his lack of footballing intelligence is surely obvious to most? Even when Jack was in the team, on a few occasions he'd have to hold on to the ball for ages until Ollie realised the run he's supposed to make. His technique and touch are also generally average-to-sometimes-poor. If there's a fluid attacking move, Ollie is unlikely to be a part of it. On the end of it, sometimes yeah, but not linking play. Look at Ings' first-time flick to Sanson for his recent goal, Ollie just doesn't have that kind of play in his locker. If people don't think he's limited in these areas, I have no idea what to say.

Look at how many more chances Ings got in much less game time. He's a clever player, who was on the same wavelength as the likes of Buendia. You just don't get that with Ollie.

I'm not hating on him and I don't dislike him, but I do think he limits us in some ways.

Ings, chances always seem to dry up when he started. Its the Buendia effect, against tired players. Ings none penalty xg is very similar to Ollies too. Ings at 0.39 to Ollies at 0.4.

Just now, Oaks said:

Ings, chances always seem to dry up when he started. Its the Buendia effect, against tired players. Ings none penalty xg is very similar to Ollies too. Ings at 0.39 to Ollies at 0.4.

Fair enough. Seemed to be more direct chances when Ings was on. Either way, I think we need a bit of Ollie's style and a bit of Ings' style. I'm just saying I personally think we'll likely need better if we are serious about moving up to the next level (top 8 finish).

4 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Yes, his name was Danny Ings.

Ollie is the opposite. Even if he's not scoring, he's usually a net positive to the team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

I really don't get the hate towards Gabby. He's Villa through and through. Always fights our corner, bless him. 

I don't hate him but he's gobby clearing in the woods, not the best ambassador for us at all. He's so bad I have found a way to like listening to O'Hara 🤨

Â