Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Watkins is still gash. Absolutely terrible finisher. Couldnt finish a puzzle

Couldn’t finish a puzzle, yet scored a decent header and took his offside ‘goal’ well. There are times to criticise players, but criticism of Ollie Watkins tonight is unfair imo.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The problem is that Villa caused the whole situation by selling a player for £100m, which caused dramatic transfer inflation, wasted the money, and now can't afford a player likely to score the goals they need.

Nunez cost triple what Ollie was and he isn't really scoring all that much either

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Couldn’t finish a puzzle, yet scored a decent header and took his offside ‘goal’ well. There are times to criticise players, but criticism of Ollie Watkins tonight is unfair imo.

Yea just had about 6 attempts today. 1 in 6 is great if you want to be fighting  relegation 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Ollie Watkins was not the problem today. If others could finish their jigsaw puzzles we might have got a point possibly even a win.

Ollie was one of the biggest problems…sitting there in the Holte, I didn’t think we would score with Ollie and we were going to concede more with Olsen.  We were shocked Ollie scored second half, he was truly poor in front of goal first half…he needs replacing as soon as possible.  At the other end we need Emi back.

10 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Ollie Watkins was not the problem today. If others could finish their jigsaw puzzles we might have got a point possibly even a win.

He seemed about the same as usual.

There were a few players who weren't up to expectations and Watkins wasn't one of them.

I would say Luiz, Bailey and Digne were not up to expectations.

The rest were very much as expected.

16 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Give it up chap, he is just not going to take us to the dizzy heights of 6th. Loses us games on his own, so many sitters missed this season. Today he had a ball headed on to him and he was even facing the wrong way not expecting it. 

I wouldn't sell him, I would drop him back, he's a super fit footballer, just not a great finisher. We need a 50 mill+ striker for next season at the latest.

The ball was not bouncing off him as much when it went to him. I noticed today he held up the ball and turned his man a few times and got fouled a few times doing it which were not given. That said he’s not a natural goalscorer. I agree stick him on the wing

• Like 1

It’s a tough one, he wasn’t too bad today, but don’t think he’ll take us to next level. He’s a mid table Prem striker.

We need another option, we can’t just keep playing Watkins every week and expect him to start banging goals in, it’s not going to happen.

Watkins can still do a job, but we need something for when he’s not doing it.

It is what it is. 

On the plus side, he’s in the right place. Negative side, not clinical enough.  Not many other strikers you can get that will match his workrate but with the finishing without shelling out the money. 

Two good finishes (One got himself offside though which in itself was poor) two really poor miss, one decent save but should have done better. Another few occasions he was caught on his heels a bit and this is what for me separates him from a top 6 player. He simply does not gamble enough and is too often caught stood in a static position when he should be running in, thus is caught on his heels & doesn't get to the cross/pass etc. Such a shame as the rest of his game is decent. I just hope he can be coached into it more.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

It’s a tough one, he wasn’t too bad today, but don’t think he’ll take us to next level. He’s a mid table Prem striker.

We need another option, we can’t just keep playing Watkins every week and expect him to start banging goals in, it’s not going to happen.

Watkins can still do a job, but we need something for when he’s not doing it.

What's the level of striker up a level from Watkins then?..... Name me them 

21 minutes ago, messi11 said:

What's the level of striker up a level from Watkins then?..... Name me them 

In terms of pure goalscoring ability Danny Ings. But i seems Emery prefers a less conventional striker finding someone to match Ollie’s other attributes other than finish and dribbling is difficult. To suit Emery Id say Gabriel Jesus, Wilf Zaha,  Marcus Thuram.

20 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

In terms of pure goalscoring ability Danny Ings. But i seems Emery prefers a less conventional striker finding someone to match Ollie’s other attributes other than finish and dribbling is difficult. To suit Emery Id say Gabriel Jesus, Wilf Zaha,  Marcus Thuram.

Any of which will be a record breaking transfer for Villa - aside from maybe Thuram.

Hard to choose which to prioritize with the squad. Could face improvements at both fullback positions, in the outside mid positions, and Bailey certainly isn’t outperforming Watkins. 

11 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

To be fair he’s got 2 in 4 since Gerrard was sacked, and not against bad teams. Interested to see how he does second half of the season.

3 goals and an assist in 5 games since we got some coaching

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Any of which will be a record breaking transfer for Villa - aside from maybe Thuram.

Hard to choose which to prioritize with the squad. Could face improvements at both fullback positions, in the outside mid positions, and Bailey certainly isn’t outperforming Watkins. 

Yes fullbacks need some strengthening but if you don’t score your chances there is little point.  We create chances, we just need a better conversion rate so I’d settle with our fullbacks not being perfect if we convert more of our chances with a new striker as a priority.  

Striker has to be priority, it’s so frustrating not expecting our striker to score when he has a great chance.  Strikers always miss chances but I never expect Ollie to score when he gets a chance…scoring yesterday didn’t take away from his fluffs especially first half.

• Like 1

Â