Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

People seem to be getting very worked up about his performance in training games.

His recent competitive games for Villa under Unai have been good.

Really? Not sure I agree 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Really? Not sure I agree 

What would you have liked him to do better in the one league game he's played in under Emery? We beat Man Utd and Ollie provided a lovely assist for JJ's crucial goal.

Watkins also scored in the cup match Olsen managed to hand to Utd if you remember.

Two games. One goal, one assist. I think that's good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AV82 said:

I think he has 6 months to show us what he's got.

I think that could be said for about 80 percent of our squad. Martinez, Carlos{due to his injury}, Kamara, Luiz and  Ramsey are probably the players that are guaranteed to be here next season under Emery

The rest are fighting for the future which is a good thing

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

What would you have liked him to do better in the one league game he's played in under Emery? We beat Man Utd and Ollie provided a lovely assist for JJ's crucial goal.

Watkins also scored in the cup match Olsen managed to hand to Utd if you remember.

Two games. One goal, one assist. I think that's good.

It is.

He did also miss a gold plated chance Bailey set him up with in the cup game.

He’s not a great player, but people talk as if he’s useless, and he isn’t. He’s quite good. Great all round game, quick, causes a lot of problems… technically not the best, doesn’t get his head up enough, not a natural finisher. That’s why he’s a 10-15 goal a season striker and not a 20-25 goal a season striker.

Replace him by all means, but saying he should be behind other current players in the pecking order, when they all have their own flaws too, is a bit misguided IMO.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

It is.

He’s not a great player, but people talk as if he’s useless, and he isn’t. He’s quite good. Great all round game, quick, causes a lot of problems… technically not the best, doesn’t get his head up enough, not a natural finisher. That’s why he’s a 10-15 goal a season striker and not a 20-25 goal a season striker.

Replace him by all means, but saying he should be behind other current players in the pecking order, when they all have their own flaws too, is a bit misguided IMO.

At the rate his going this season he’d struggle to score much more than 5 goals this season. We’re almost half way through the season and he only has 2 goals to his name.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

22 hours ago, KentVillan said:

It is.

Great all round game? Sorry but that's just not true unfortunately.

• Like 1

On 16/12/2022 at 12:20, Pinebro said:

Because he doesn't waste all of them and because he offers so much more than just goals but your average football fan won't notice that but managers will. 

Unai is gonna love Ollie whether fans likes it or not. 

This is a bit patronising isn't it?

Watkins' main job is to finish the chances he gets as the focal point of the attack. His other qualities I am quite aware of. Most fans will be too.

However, there are plenty of hard working forwards around. Ollie's a decent player but his decision making, touch and finishing is subpar and Emery won't tolerate squandering chances too often in my opinion.

Against Premier League defences chances are very hard won, so it makes no sense to have a guy who struggles to finish 

I liken it to guitar. You can have the best amps, lavish custom guitars and then you buy a cheap cable and your sound is rubbish.

We have money, let's upgrade.

• Like 3

Bigger question is would put give him a new deal?

Two years left on his deal in the summer so really it's the optimum time to sell him if Emery decides he isn't good enough to be a first choice long term which seems likely.

Don't want more situations where it's like Luiz and we get to less than 12 months. He could've easily been a 25m asset leaving us on a free.

I can see him going back to London, West Ham, Palace, Fulham, we could play for all of them and some of them spend 30m + on forwards which is what we'd be demanding. If Everton stay up they'll probably be in for him aswell.

On 16/12/2022 at 18:26, Zatman said:

I think that could be said for about 80 percent of our squad. Martinez, Carlos{due to his injury}, Kamara, Luiz and  Ramsey are probably the players that are guaranteed to be here next season under Emery

The rest are fighting for the future which is a good thing

I would add Cash, Buendia and Konsa to that list

21 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Bigger question is would put give him a new deal?

Two years left on his deal in the summer so really it's the optimum time to sell him if Emery decides he isn't good enough to be a first choice long term which seems likely.

Don't want more situations where it's like Luiz and we get to less than 12 months. He could've easily been a 25m asset leaving us on a free.

I can see him going back to London, West Ham, Palace, Fulham, we could play for all of them and some of them spend 30m + on forwards which is what we'd be demanding. If Everton stay up they'll probably be in for him aswell.

Difficult one. We could get in someone better, or they could be  a expensive flop. At least you know what you getting with Ollie. He will turn 27 by the end of the year so he probably only has one more big move in him. He rarely gets injured and looks after himself so I could see hims playing competitively into his 30s unlike say a Gabby.

On 16/12/2022 at 18:27, KentVillan said:

It is.

We have to find better....and thats not as easy as it sounds.

No point in signing, no better.

19 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Ollie's contribution was fairly minimal though if we're being honest

I don't think he is aggressive enough ( with himself) like Ivan Toney is.

Â