Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

3 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

No he did not. You won't find any news publication anywhere that says something like that when the match reports are out so dont take my word for it.

I'm all for positivity but that is nonsense.

He is there just between Haaland and Darwin.

image.png

Edited by vazquez
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

I would rather have a striker that assisted 50 goals and scored 0, than a striker that scored 20 and assisted 0. Who cares who puts the ball into the net, the important thing is that we score goals.

An me, but he ain't gonna assist 50 goals.

19 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

I would rather have a striker that assisted 50 goals and scored 0, than a striker that scored 20 and assisted 0.

I would rather base opinions on things that have/could actually happen rather than ridiculous hypertheticals like that.

10 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don’t know what people expect,

We can bandy about the “two assists” statistic all we like, but he in reality he over-cooked the pass to Ings. Belted it at him.

The second goal was a lovely pass from Ollie, but it was Buendia that created it.

As to what people expect — more clinical when played through. Ollie knows himself he’s bad at this and hired a coach to help him. But it hasn’t happened for him, and it’s completely fair to point out Cameron Archer probably would have buried it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Enda said:

We can bandy about the “two assists” statistic all we like, but he in reality he over-cooked the pass to Ings. Belted it at him.

The second goal was a lovely pass from Ollie, but it was Buendia that created it.

As to what people expect — more clinical when played through. Ollie knows himself he’s bad at this and hired a coach to help him. But it hasn’t happened for him, and it’s completely fair to point out Cameron Archer probably would have buried it.

If he wasn't on the pitch today we would not have scored, how easy is that to understand? 

Mixed bag today. His mistakes tend to stand out though. When he was sent through, his control let him down and he stretched at the shot. Would Archer have taken that chance better? 

17 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Lots of comments in the match thread slating Watkins after he assisted both goals well.

Chased down the defence, got himself in on goal a couple of times, overall touch and passing was at a steady level today.

I don’t know what people expect, we know he has limitations, he’s not going to become Harry Kane overnight. In order for us to kick on we almost certainly need to upgrade him but as has been done to death on here already - that’s far easier said than done.

We’re a mid table side with a mid table striker, the hope is he hits a purple patch at some point but beyond that, we’re gonna get what we’ve been getting from him.

People were already primed to shit on him before the match even began. This is the result.

7 minutes ago, Enda said:

As I said in the match thread the pass wasn't to ings it was to the man behind him

You'd expect ings to drive towards goal pushing the defenders deeper giving space for the attacking midfielder to get the shot in, I'm sure it's coutinho, watch his reaction, Ings takes it off his toes

Not that it mattered 

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

If he wasn't on the pitch today we would not have scored, how easy is that to understand? 

This is silly. We’d have to play with ten men would we?

Say we played Bailey or Archer instead of him, are you saying there’s zero chance they’d have made scored themselves? This is silly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

As I said in the match thread the pass wasn't to ings it was to the man behind him

You'd expect ings to drive towards goal pushing the defenders deeper giving space for the attacking midfielder to get the shot in, I'm sure it's coutinho, watch his reaction, Ings takes it off his toes

Not that it mattered 

Fair enough if he was passing it to Coutinho, I think you might be right actually, but that sort of takes away from the assist element.

48 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

An me, but he ain't gonna assist 50 goals.

35 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

I would rather base opinions on things that have/could actually happen rather than ridiculous hypertheticals like that.

My point was, that I don't care who scores as long as we score. If Watkins is assisting, then that is good enough. Even if he wasn't assisting and we were scoring, I couldn't care less.

Criticizing a player who assisted two, saying that he should rather be scoring them is a ridiculous statement imo

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

My point was, that I don't care who scores as long as we score. If Watkins is assisting, then that is good enough. Even if he wasn't assisting and we were scoring, I couldn't care less.

Criticizing a player who assisted two, saying that he should rather be scoring them is a ridiculous statement imo

We are not really criticizing his assists, most are criticizing his poor finishing. He cannot handle the one on one, which should be a strikers forte.

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We are not really criticizing his assists, most are criticizing his poor finishing. He cannot handle the one on one, which should be a strikers forte.

I do agree to an extent but criticizing players has a time and a place, he contributed with two assists today, which is good enough. If we are winning and he is contributing, I couldn't care less how many chances he misses.

That said, he probably should have scored today, although I don't think it was his finishing ability that let him down today but rather and abysmal first touch.

Ollie is an excellent support cast to a striker and playmaker - the problem is he himself is neither one or the other.

Would probably be excellent as a false 9 but that doesn’t really suit the way we play. 

Would still be curious to him trialed as a CAM and maybe there’s a role for him in a 2 behind Ings with the license to push forward and stretch a defence. Just doesn’t seem to fit into a clear role at the minute.

Â