Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

When you say a better player than AG, in what way ? Better on the floor, but then his first touch can be woeful, unlike Andy who could make that ball stick before laying it off to Little or Deehan. He certainly had more pace than AG, but then, who didn't. As for heading ability, it's a no - contest. 

30 goals in one season, that is unlikely to be bettered. Andy Gray was made for that number 9 position at Villa. It was hand in glove. Him standing in front of an adoring, packed Holte, arms up and outstretched. That sight is indelibly etched into the minds of many a Villan. I'm afraid Ollie Watkins has a lot of hard work ahead of himself if he's going to achieve that kind of status. 

The fact that he wants to improve and more importantly, is prepared to put in the necessary hard work at least gives him the chance to become a claret and blue legend 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

didnt he score plus was his first game in 2 months

Took his goal well and you are right it is the preseason. However, it is an ongoing criticism of mine with regard to his all around play (aside from pressing). I admit I am a bit 'typical villa fan' with regard to Watkins 🙃

5 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

When you say a better player than AG, in what way ? Better on the floor, but then his first touch can be woeful, unlike Andy who could make that ball stick before laying it off to Little or Deehan. He certainly had more pace than AG, but then, who didn't. As for heading ability, it's a no - contest. 

30 goals in one season, that is unlikely to be bettered. Andy Gray was made for that number 9 position at Villa. It was hand in glove. Him standing in front of an adoring, packed Holte, arms up and outstretched. That sight is indelibly etched into the minds of many a Villan. I'm afraid Ollie Watkins has a lot of hard work ahead of himself if he's going to achieve that kind of status. 

The fact that he wants to improve and more importantly, is prepared to put in the necessary hard work at least gives him the chance to become a claret and blue legend 

Oh Andy, your the greatest……….,.. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Best centre- forward I've seen at Villa Park in claret and blue. And the fact that he still loves the club immensely. 

"We'll be with you, all the way".

The last home game of the season where he got his hat-trick against the Albion. Will never ever forget that

I like Ollie a lot. He has been great for us and I still think he is our first choice number 9 but his miss today is a great example of why he will never be a top player.

It was such a great chance. He had all options open to him. He could have scored either side of the keeper, tucked it between his legs or the easiest option to take it round the keeper and roll it into an open net. Instead he hit it straight at the keeper who does make a very good save. A top level striker does not give the keeper a chance there.

• Like 1

He wasn't great today looked rusty, but that wasn't a bad miss today, it was a sensational save from the Leeds keeper.

Also feel sorrty for Archer, every time Watkins misses a chance we get the comments of how Archer would have buried it, people talking as if Archer is some sort of master marksman that never misses, I hate to break the news but at Championship level he wasn't that prolific, he did very well, but nothing to suggest he would be more prolific than Watkins at Premier League level, my worry is that people are putting way too big expectations on him, and if he doesn't live up to those there will be an unfair backlash.

Also Ings misses plenty of chances.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, useless said:

He wasn't great today looked rusty, but that wasn't a bad miss today, it was a sensational save from the Leeds keeper.

Also feel sorrty for Archer, every time Watkins misses a chance we get the comments of how Archer would have buried it, people talking as if Archer is some sort of master marksman that never misses, I hate to break the news but at Championship level he wasn't that prolific, he did very well, but nothing to suggest he would be more prolific than Watkins at Premier League level, my worry is that people are putting way too big expectations on him, and if he doesn't live up to those there will be an unfair backlash.

Also Ings misses plenty of chances.

Disagree here, Ollie has to do better. Just put it in the bottom corner 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Poor finishing.

If you finish well, the keeper has zero chance.

• Like 2

I'd go with a bit of both tbh. It was a very good save but he could've struck it more accurately. 

Watkins has scored and will score those type of goals - he's a top class athlete who works very hard and is pretty smart, but he just isn't quite a natural at what he does. He's like the footballing equivalent of Anthony Joshua. 

I was thinking today that what sums him up is that despite the fact that he's our first choice striker, you definitely wouldn't pick first to take him a penalty - and that says something. 

26 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

It’s poor finish by Ollie.  

Yes Meslier had to save it still but Ollie gave him the best chance to.  

Of all the better places to put it and he puts it there.  

Yes it happens but too often from Ollie.

• Like 2

Watkins today was very poor...that miss was unforgivable even with the finishing coach they hired for him.

Im sure we are going to have the exact same problem as last year up top if something is not changed

• Like 2

That was a really poor finish. He hit it hard, but it was the perfect height for a save and wasn’t really in the corner either.

Was a good save, but that was very reactionary because the ball was hit so close to him at a decent speed.

Watkins is wasteful and, after McGinn, would be the next player we should be looking to improve upon.

• Like 1

Â