Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

10 minutes ago, tinker said:

How many did he score last season? He's a great player, not world class but he's work rate exceptional.

What, last season when he had the ball on plate served by a Grealish.

If his work rate is exceptional he must be shite, cause he does f*** all most games.

He's a striker, strikers are there to score goals, 9 in a season is not gonna move us on to the dizzy heights the table.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Noticed also lately, he don't like the tackle. I could post numerous clips of him not going in for a challenge when the ball comes near him.

I'd settle for one clip. I'd like to see what you're talking about. It seems plausible, but I think I tend to be harder on him that he deserves.

Just now, Marka Ragnos said:

I'd settle for one clip. I'd like to see what you're talking about. It seems plausible, but I think I tend to be harder on him that he deserves.

Watch MoTD tonight and watch how many times he pulls out of a challenge. I see it every game, like he is scared of getting injured.

• Like 1

I thought he took his goal really well and was a workhorse upfront.

However he isn't able to beat a cabbage in a 1 on 1, let alone a Premier league defender. He also makes bad decisions in the final third which stifles our attacks at times. I certainly wouldn't be against an upgrade in the summer. 

• Like 2

I thought villa had unearthed an exceptional striker last season.  Feck happened.  Was he always average and prem teams have figured him out.  Need a no1 striker if we are to push on.  Ings is a much better player and should be starting 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

But how do you measure/track that? I mean, is there a stat that roughly corresponds to first touch skills?  

There is, expected lukaku's. 'Ex. Flop' for short. 

I’ve been fairly critical of him recently but thought he played a bit better today especially when Ings came on. Glad he got a goal, still not convinced by him but fair dues today he didn’t look his usual crap and I wasn’t screaming at him during the game.

• Like 4

Did well today , his one man press of last season is no longer available as the tactics are clearly set out to for him to stay with the unit as much as possible, worked hard to create his goal , well done 👍….. won’t be good enough for some though so he must be moved on ! Ffs get a grip 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chine said:

Did well today , his one man press of last season is no longer available as the tactics are clearly set out to for him to stay with the unit as much as possible, worked hard to create his goal , well done 👍….. won’t be good enough for some though so he must be moved on ! Ffs get a grip 

One game doesn’t make a season

30 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Scored one and caused one today, both through his own work effort 

Of course its nothing but negativity on here 

This place is a proper **** cesspool at times, no wonder half out players are lacking in confidence and look half arsed 

Oh come on, it's not all negativity. I think there are some measured responses. I don't understand the depth of the Ollie hostility sometimes, I grant you that. But there are also some nuanced perspectives. He goal and his aggression in getting it today were really inspiring. It was a delight to behold. There's -- that's some positivity for you. "A sight to behold." Will that do? I even said, "inspiring," although you know hyperbole comes naturally to Americans, so maybe it doesn't count.  

Edited by Marka Ragnos

He could have had three today, his work rate was exceptional, but he isn’t clinical in front of goal. He either takes a touch instead of hitting it or hits it straight at the keeper. Three times during the game he took a touch, on two occasions it gave the defender time to get a foot in, the other was a deflection off the defender for the goal. Ironically, if the defender hadn’t of got a touch the keeper probably saves it.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Never seen a striker always hit the defender when shooting, we need to get better in the summer otherwise another season like this near the bottom 

I feel so conflicted about Watkins. Last season was great and he can get goals....but even today, for his goal, he missed the chance to fire a quick shot off and let the defender get across. Luckily the deflection helped in the end. 

I've just re-watched Danny Ings v Brentford. Taken really early across the goalkeeper. I feel that should have been the approach. 

Maybe I'm being to harsh. He scored in the end, but it does see to be a habit to shoot when there isn't really a chance to get past a defender. 

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Watch MoTD tonight and watch how many times he pulls out of a challenge. I see it every game, like he is scared of getting injured.

Is this a joke? He was constantly chasing back and going in for big tackles that ended in chances for us. Way more than in other games where I might have thought you had a point.  Weird to me how he is so underrated on here but especially when he’s put in a shift like that and scored a great goal.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I thought he was poor today. His pass accuracy is probably below 50%, yes for a striker thats not important but he kept losing the ball when we were in possession

I thought he was great today apart from some more clinical finishing needed (which is always his issue) - I watched most of the game back as well and still thought it. It’s a funny old game!

Edited by Adam2003

7 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Is this a joke? He was constantly chasing back and going in for big tackles that ended in chances for us. Way more than in other games where I might have thought you had a point.  Weird to me how he is so underrated on here but especially when he’s put in a shift like that and scored a great goal.

I agree, his pressing was great today, forced so many errors from their defenders.

• Like 1

Â