Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

10 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

True and I get that yes but it doesn’t help the situation between players and fans does it? I don’t like people hurling abuse at our own players but at the end of the day people have payed hard earned money to get into the ground. Maybe it wasn’t sarcastic clapping and it was genuine , and a nothing story.

Yeah I don’t even know what happened. I’m just riffing off the speculation. I agree it doesn’t help but I just can’t fault the guy for snapping back after so long.

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Another guy who comes on the pitch who is clapping and shouting at the team doing the 'pop the ball about' gestures then hides from the ball for half hour.

Bring back Jack or anyone who doesn't wait for someone else to do the thing they know they should do.

He was literally running from one side of the pitch to the other past about 3 or 4 of our other attacking players to get on the ball. He was then expected to hold the ball up for the couple of minutes it took for anybody else to bother to move and try to offer him any support.

Thought he looked a bit sharper today than he has done but came on into a pretty much non existent system after the subs had been made. Feel like it’s never going to work for him in that system but given that Ings’ main contribution was to miss an absolute sitter I’m not sure who I’d be starting going forwards.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

What rubbish!

He’s played up front in a game where we’ve had 60% possession and created one clear cut chance. He’s failed to hit the target with that chance and given that we’re a team that don’t create many chances it’s the moment of that match that stands out from Ings’ performance.

Was he better than Watkins has been lately? Difficult to say. Better on the ball but he won’t run the channels as much as Watkins so maybe we lose a little of the space that Watkins creates for the likes of Ramsey, Buendia and Coutinho. As I say I think it’s a difficult decision which one to start next week - probably Ings based on the fact he’s yet to have a proper run of games. The upgrade from Watkins to Ings wasn’t as stark as many people will have you believe.

One thing that really surprised me was his warm up. He warmed up as normal with the main group not as part of the subs group just chipping balls to each other. He looked to me slightly embarrassed to be on the bench and desperate to be back amongst the goals. He worked hard when he came on and we missed his running in the first half.

Ings impressed me with his positions though, both need goals.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

The upgrade from Watkins to Ings wasn’t as stark as many people will have you believe.

It was for me watching this game from my view in the Holte.  Yes he didn’t score his chance but first half he was miles better in his game overall than Ollie has been recently.  Why Gerrard then brought on Ollie and play them as a two which doesn’t work baffles me.

42 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It was for me watching this game from my view in the Holte.  Yes he didn’t score his chance but first half he was miles better in his game overall than Ollie has been recently.  Why Gerrard then brought on Ollie and play them as a two which doesn’t work baffles me.

Ings is the better footballer, in the footballer sense of the word. I just think he tires on the second half.

2 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I thought fair play to him for walking straight over the the Holte and clapping the fans. It wasn’t sarcastic and I think he was trying to do a good thing, he was the first of the players over. But then some idiots apparently gave him abuse(I haven’t seen it myself but heard about it). He might not be in the best form this season but doesn’t deserve that crap. I’ve heard that a fan had a go at Mings as well, what did he do wrong??

Things aren’t great but when did making the players feel like s**t ever help?

Ye sorry sarcastic wasnt right. It was almost like a statement from him I think to say, "here I am". You had a load clapping him and about 3 or 4 around me shouting f*** of ollie. I wonder if it was partly from him in response to the online grief he has received. He didnt break eye contact with the people in the lower holte and he was at the six yard box. Clearly hes struggling, I think he just needs the fans support.

Edited by turvontour

6 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Ings is the better footballer, in the footballer sense of the word. I just think he tires on the second half.

Not sure I agree with the last sentence.  Like today, aside from the silly sub of bringing on Ollie, when did our creative players create any other great chances in the second half.  Our strikers, both Ings and Ollie can only feed off the chances that are created and second half today just didn’t happen.

Edited by nick76

20 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Ye sorry sarcastic wasnt right. It was almost like a statement from him I think to say, "here I am". You had a load clapping him and about 3 or 4 around me shouting f*** of ollie. I wonder if it was partly from him in response to the online grief he has received. He didnt break eye contact with the people in the lower holte and he was at the six yard box. Clearly hes struggling, I think he just needs the fans support.

Don’t apologise, neither of us are mind readers. In my opinion it was his effort to reconnect with the fan base and a few threw it back in his face which was a shame. Totally agree that he would benefit from some fan adoration.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

He’s played up front in a game where we’ve had 60% possession and created one clear cut chance. He’s failed to hit the target with that chance and given that we’re a team that don’t create many chances it’s the moment of that match that stands out from Ings’ performance.

Was he better than Watkins has been lately? Difficult to say. Better on the ball but he won’t run the channels as much as Watkins so maybe we lose a little of the space that Watkins creates for the likes of Ramsey, Buendia and Coutinho. As I say I think it’s a difficult decision which one to start next week - probably Ings based on the fact he’s yet to have a proper run of games. The upgrade from Watkins to Ings wasn’t as stark as many people will have you believe.

He was offside 

Took his goal really well but to be honest it was a pretty horrrifying performance outside of that. Maybe I’m being harsh and need to watch it back but felt like he lost the ball almost every time it came to him. For someone who is paid thousands of pounds to train at this sport it looked like it was the first game of football he’d ever played today. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Took his goal really well but to be honest it was a pretty horrrifying performance outside of that. Maybe I’m being harsh and need to watch it back but felt like he lost the ball almost every time it came to him. For someone who is paid thousands of pounds to train at this sport it looked like it was the first game of football he’d ever played today. 

I agree in most part but I’m just hoping this goal gives him a boost and his game follows suit over the coming weeks.  Neither him or Ings covered themselves in glory today.  Thankfully one of them scored.

• Like 2

Â