Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

On 11/02/2022 at 21:16, Follyfoot said:

I honestly suspect it’s got something to do with his fairly recent fatherhood. He’s not been right since the Child has been born 

I’m amazed this got so many likes. Surely it’s more to do with the fact that we signed Ings around the same time and he had a pre season injury and then he has been played out of position a number of times leading to possibly a loss of confidence.

He’s always (at Villa at least) been a player who looked like his world was ending if he wasn’t scoring, he was the same last year. I’ve definitely seen him celebrate other players goals including Ings. I reckon all good strikers are would be secretly pi**ed off if a team mate passed to a midfielder if they themselves were open.

It probably is a bit of a mentality thing, last season he was breaking into the England squad, he’d probably hoped to establish himself as the 3rd striker and maybe go to the World Cup, that’s a pipe dream on current form. 

Insta would also suggest that he and his partner are just fine not that social media is a true indicator. I just think that his sour face is purely footballing related. 

37 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I’m amazed this got so many likes. Surely it’s more to do with the fact that we signed Ings around the same time and he had a pre season injury and then he has been played out of position a number of times leading to possibly a loss of confidence.

He’s always (at Villa at least) been a player who looked like his world was ending if he wasn’t scoring, he was the same last year. I’ve definitely seen him celebrate other players goals including Ings. I reckon all good strikers are would be secretly pi**ed off if a team mate passed to a midfielder if they themselves were open.

It probably is a bit of a mentality thing, last season he was breaking into the England squad, he’d probably hoped to establish himself as the 3rd striker and maybe go to the World Cup, that’s a pipe dream on current form. 

Insta would also suggest that he and his partner are just fine not that social media is a true indicator. I just think that his sour face is purely footballing related. 

It’s been said many times he is his own biggest critic, bloke probably beats him self up about poor form, having hight standards is fine but dwelling on it and it getting to the point it affects your form isn’t. In terms of playing out of position when has he other than when the team is out of possession? In possession along side Ings he’s always played up front, Gerrard altered the system to play to both their strengths, the poor form is on him and Ings, and yes I agree having a newborn isn’t an excuse for poor form.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

Don’t shoot the messenger. Our Sharon’s mate who works with his Mrs on the influencing said as much when they was getting spray tanned the other week

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Surely it’s more to do with the fact that we signed Ings around the same time and he had a pre season injury and then he has been played out of position a number of times leading to possibly a loss of confidence.

Well if he leaves the Villa to a “bigger” club then there will be a shock because playing out of position occasionally and having serious competition for your position happens all the time, so he needs to put on his big girls blouse and sort himself out because it’s not going to help us if he stays and we are going to move to the next level because it’s just going to happen more.

• Like 1

On 11/02/2022 at 21:16, Follyfoot said:

I honestly suspect it’s got something to do with his fairly recent fatherhood. He’s not been right since the Child has been born 

I mean, probably not, but I have to say I’ve not had a proper night’s sleep in 7 years since I had kids. I’d like to think that hasn’t had an effect on my work, but I suspect it has.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I mean, probably not, but I have to say I’ve not had a proper night’s sleep in 7 years since I had kids. I’d like to think that hasn’t had an effect on my work, but I suspect it has.

Gets easier real soon👍Mine are hardly awake at the same time as me these days 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Going off topic a bit but if you’re that rich wouldn’t you just hire a nanny? I know I would! 

Anyway Watkins is alright man, he’s having a bit of a goal drought but he’s still doing ok. I think people are over reacting.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Going off topic a bit but if you’re that rich wouldn’t you just hire a nanny? I know I would! 

Anyway Watkins is alright man, he’s having a bit of a goal drought but he’s still doing ok. I think people are over reacting.

I wouldn’t mind if it was just a goal drought as all strikers go through that but for me his all round game is not there for a long period of time.  Even when he did have a run of a couple of goals a couple months ago, this thread was discussing his poor form despite him scoring so now he’s not scoring it just emphasises it even more.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I wouldn’t mind if it was just a goal drought as all strikers go through that but for me his all round game is not there for a long period of time.  Even when he did have a run of a couple of goals a couple months ago, this thread was discussing his poor form despite him scoring so now he’s not scoring it just emphasises it even more.

I could ignore literally everything else if he was working harder pressing.

Possibly unfair of me as he may have been instructed not to trigger it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Well if he leaves the Villa to a “bigger” club then there will be a shock because playing out of position occasionally and having serious competition for your position happens all the time, so he needs to put on his big girls blouse and sort himself out because it’s not going to help us if he stays and we are going to move to the next level because it’s just going to happen more.

Oh I agree. I just think having a poor season due to becoming a father is nonsense. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I was really disappointed watching him for the three goals we scored against Leeds.  I <<think>> all three shots went across the keeper into the far post and yet Watkins was not bearing down on the keeper for any of them.  A striker's instinct should be that the keeper is going to get a touch / make a save and that it is your job to tuck away the rebound.  For at least two of the goals when the shot is taken, Watkins is ahead of the guy marking him and yet by the time the ball passes the keeper, the defender has got between Ollie and the goal.  So had the keeper made a save, the defender would have been in a better place to clear the danger.  It is this reading of the game that makes me most nervous.  We don't need a pressing forward like we did last season - now Ollie has to prove that he's got more in his locker than that.

Just now, Rodders said:

owes us a good performance, otherwise Ings must be getting so pissed off

I agree, I’ve been very critical of Ollie recently and deservedly so but I’m backing him to score a brace today.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Hadn’t noticed Nick…😜

I know, I know! He’s been one of my favourite players since he signed but I’ve been so disappointed this season, which is probably why I’ve been harsher than on players I’m not so bothered about.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I know, I know! He’s been one of my favourite players since he signed but I’ve been so disappointed this season, which is probably why I’ve been harsher than on players I’m not so bothered about.

I know mate, hopefully we see a ‘classic’ Ollie Watkins performance today rather than what is sadly becoming the norm. 🤞🏻

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Joking aside, Ollie has to put in a performance today otherwise Ings surely has to get a run in the side. The pressure is on IMO.

that is said week after week but Gerrard keeps picking Watkins.  If the team stop scoring he may be dropped otherwise he will keep still picking him

Â