Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

No I'm not making stuff up, i've just gone back and had a look at the post and you quoted one of my earlier posts claiming I'd said this and that as a sort of 'gotcha' but you had completely twisted what I'd said. It was you that had made stuff up about me. I might have misremembered the lawyer part, but it was something along those lines

I’m a massive fan of Ollie. He can’t play anywhere other than up top, and we shouldn’t force it. He is not a creator at all. Selling him would be stupid regardless of the price offered for him in my opinion, unless he really wanted away and I’d be surprised if that was the case

• Like 3

I may be in the minority here, but I just don't rate him that highly. I want to rate him but I've had my doubts since we bought him and probably have more doubts about now than ever. If we do get a good offer for him then I absolutely believe our recruitment team could get someone better in.

• Like 4

I'd sell him for a profit tbh depending on Arsenal or anyone else paying over the odds.

He's been a great buy but he is limited and has a few glaring deficiencies.

No qualms with him staying and playing, I wouldn't be looking to sell him but if a big offer came in I think it would make sense .

I don't think there's even a chance we'd sell him even if a club offered us something we thought was more than what he's worth. We've only just sold Grealish, our owners won't want us to be seen as a club that's sell it's best players. For another team to sign Watkins I think it would have to be an astronomical offer.

I find it funny how some of the people laughing at the idea of selling Ings if we get our money back, are now suggesting selling Watkins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

If we got £50m for Watkins I'd reluctantly sell. We already have a very good striker in Danny Ings, the issue isn't our ability to finish, it's our ability to control games and create chances.

Eventually we will need to start consistently cashing in on some of our saleable assets to grow. Leicester have done it for years and, apart from this season, have got better and better.

we "cashed in" on our saleable assets for years and got relegated as a result. i don't see how selling off your first team regulars helps you to grow, personally. be interested to know whether leicester fans think they're better off having sold chilwell, mahrez and kante.

11 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

we "cashed in" on our saleable assets for years and got relegated as a result. i don't see how selling off your first team regulars helps you to grow, personally. be interested to know whether leicester fans think they're better off having sold chilwell, mahrez and kante.

The difference is Leicester "cashed in" and re-invested. They scouted well and bought in quality. We sold our best assets and tried to replace them on the cheap.

Personally I think Leicester fans would be foolish to think that they're not better off now as a club. Yes it's amazing that they won the league, but I would imagine their club is in a much stronger position now than it was back in 2016.

4 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

The difference is Leicester "cashed in" and re-invested. They scouted well and bought in quality. We sold our best assets and tried to replace them on the cheap.

Personally I think Leicester fans would be foolish to think that they're not better off now as a club. Yes it's amazing that they won the league, but I would imagine their club is in a much stronger position now than it was back in 2016.

who knows where they'd be if they held onto these players though. it's a big gamble, assuming that we can replace watkins with a better player. if there's a better striker for 46m than watkins then you have to ask why arsenal (or whoever) don't just buy this mystery player themselves? leicester didn't sell their big players because of some notion that they could upgrade them, they got pinched by bigger teams. it happened to us in the summer and the jury's still out as to whether that money has been wisely invested.

and the notion of leaving us with 1 senior striker is just ludicrous.

3 hours ago, useless said:

If we sold Watkins for £46m it would be one of the stupidest sales ever. We signed him for £30m plus, he's since become proven at Premier League level, was our top scorer last season and is again so far this season, his record in the premier league is 19 goals and 8 assists in 53 games, and he has become an England international, what he's achieved with us since signing is worth more than a £14m profit, more like try doubling what we paid for him at least.

We finally have a striker that can perform to an high standard at Premier League level, perhaps the only one other than Benteke in the last ten years, so why on earth we'd even think about selling him I'm not sure.

Totally brrainless if we did. Be careful for what you wish for. Good strikers are hard to come by.  Watching Man U last night I couldn't believe how poor Ronaldo, Cavani, Greenwood and Sancho were and they are a lot higher rated than Olie 

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

who knows where they'd be if they held onto these players though. it's a big gamble, assuming that we can replace watkins with a better player. if there's a better striker for 46m than watkins then you have to ask why arsenal (or whoever) don't just buy this mystery player themselves? leicester didn't sell their big players because of some notion that they could upgrade them, they got pinched by bigger teams. it happened to us in the summer and the jury's still out as to whether that money has been wisely invested.

and the notion of leaving us with 1 senior striker is just ludicrous.

It's definitely a risk but, as you say, it comes down to quality of recruitment. Thankfully, over the last couple of years we are getting better at identifying and recruiting good players instead of ones that hang around until their contracts expire then **** off on a free transfer.

Let's see what Gerrard thinks of the squad over the next couple of windows, and how much money he has available to spend without needing to sell anyone.

With any luck, it'll be the likes of Hause, El Ghazi and Trezeguet that we're replacing and not the better players. However, if we have to raise money in order to reinforce other areas of the team, I stick by my view that £50m for Watkins would be a good deal.

7 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

It's definitely a risk but, as you say, it comes down to quality of recruitment. Thankfully, over the last couple of years we are getting better at identifying and recruiting good players instead of ones that hang around until their contracts expire then **** off on a free transfer.

Let's see what Gerrard thinks of the squad over the next couple of windows, and how much money he has available to spend without needing to sell anyone.

With any luck, it'll be the likes of Hause, El Ghazi and Trezeguet that we're replacing and not the better players. However, if we have to raise money in order to reinforce other areas of the team, I stick by my view that £50m for Watkins would be a good deal.

agreed, i don't think we're in a position (yet) where we have to sell to buy, and the 3 mentioned should raise 30m+ between them

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

agreed, i don't think we're in a position (yet) where we have to sell to buy, and the 3 mentioned should raise 30m+ between them

If you could get £30m+ for Hause, El Ghazi and Trezeguet I'll give you a shout next time I need someone to sell my house for me. 😀

If he can't start to pass to obviously better placed players in the box in the next few games (assuming he plays), then get rid and get someone in who will.

If he won't stop running into 3 or 4 defender blind alleys when he gets a sniff of goal, then get rid and find someone who is able to see the bigger picture.

If he can't (or won't) fit into a squad where there is competition for places then tough crap.

I hope the coaching team work on these issues (awareness and selfishness) otherwise sell him and let some other team's coach try and explain it to him. 

In fairness, he does have all the other attributes to play at this level, but if he keeps doing what he has been doing since the start of the season (in terms of squandering possession and selfishly trying to be the big I am), then he can bugger off for all I care.

• Like 2

As others have said, Watkins is one of our better players and has the best engine in the team. You don't sell your better players in their prime unless it is unavoidable (ie Grealish).

We need to add two or three key players to improve ball retention, passing technique, and with the energy to generate more supply to our strikers. 

Give Watkins (or Ings) regular quality balls in dangerous areas and they will put enough of that supply into the opposition's net.

I don't want to sell him but he's been way off his best so far this season. Energy and pressing levels haven't been the same, but it's his constant moaning and poor body language that bothers me more. He also doesn't possess, in my opinion, an intelligent football brain as he often runs quite predictably and loses possession and his hold up play/strength is also way off from what ti was last season.

When he's at his best he's such an important player for us, but I haven't seen him improve this season and those things I have mentioned above do concern me for his ambitions with our club. Hope he proves me wrong as I really like the lad.

• Like 2

On 04/01/2022 at 07:42, Okonokos said:

I may be in the minority here, but I just don't rate him that highly. I want to rate him but I've had my doubts since we bought him and probably have more doubts about now than ever. If we do get a good offer for him then I absolutely believe our recruitment team could get someone better in.

I completely agree. He works hard yes but he also can’t really finish, is greedy and wastes so many opportunities. If we got £50m I’m sure we could easily improve on him for that. 

• Like 1

On 04/01/2022 at 12:42, Okonokos said:

I got slated on here last season when I had doubts about him. Now everyone is seeing them.

Â