Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

It's been really enjoyable watching the most recent academy generation progress, I'm naturally sceptical of how the talent progresses to proper premier league footballing careers for Villa but at the very minimum the FA youth cup team are indicating a very good hit rate.

I'm not a fountain of knowledge in regards to all of our youth prospects but the likeliness of delivering value to the Villa first team I'd rank like this.

Tier 1 - Jacob Ramsey (CM) (currently delivering for the first team on a regular basis)

Tier 1.5 - Chukwuemeka (CM)

Tier 2 - Archer (ST), Iroegbunam (CDM), KKH (RB),

Tier 3 - JPB (RW), Aaron Ramsey (CAM), Barry (LW), Bogarde (CB), Chrisene (LB), Azaz (CAM)

Tier 4 - O'Reilly (CAM), Feeney (CB)

Tier 2 seem good enough for at least rotational minutes for us but if a top-level championship team with guaranteed starter position came I wouldn't mind too much to let them go. Tier 3 have either already left on loan or in my eyes are little bit off in terms of making an impact at premier league level. Tier 4 certainly showed enough talent but a tad younger and will likely still have u21 minutes ahead of them.

I'm sure there are players I've missed but the above are ones I all have varying degrees of excitement and hope for and if even half of them turn out to be top flight level footballers for us or elsewhere it would be an absolutely outstanding outcome for Villa.

Edited by ZL-
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ZL- said:

It's been really enjoyable watching the most recent academy generation progress, I'm naturally sceptical of how the talent progresses to proper premier league footballing careers for Villa but at the very minimum the FA youth cup team are indicating a very good hit rate.

I'm not a fountain of knowledge in regards to all of our youth prospects but the likeliness of delivering value to the Villa first team I'd rank like this.

Tier 1 - Jacob Ramsey (CM) (currently delivering for the first team on a regular basis)

Tier 1.5 - Chukwuemeka (CM)

Tier 2 - Archer (ST), Iroegbunam (CDM), KKH (RB),

Tier 3 - JPB (RW), Aaron Ramsey (CAM), Barry (RW), Bogarde (CB), Chrisene (LB), Azaz (CAM)

Tier 4 - O'Reilly (CAM), Feeney (CB)

Tier 2 seem good enough for at least rotational minutes for us but if a top-level championship team with guaranteed starter position came I wouldn't mind too much to let them go. Tier 3 have either already left on loan or in my eyes are little bit off in terms of making an impact at premier league level. Tier 4 certainly showed enough talent but a tad younger and will likely still have u21 minutes ahead of them.

I'm sure there are players I've missed but the above are ones I all have varying degrees of excitement and hope for and if even half of them turn out to be top flight level footballers for us or elsewhere it would be an absolutely outstanding outcome for Villa.

JJ, KKH and Feeney have  the most potential imo. 

U18 Premier League fixtures for the 2022/23 season have been published on the official site, our first game is away to Southampton on August 13th.

Last year was a fourteen team league, but now a twelve team league after small heat and Reading academies lost their category one status.

Watched quite a few extended highlights of Hearts U18 games and that Ewan Simpson looks a really good player, passing range and accuracy looks exceptional, also looks very skilful in the sense of if he receives the ball in tight situations he seems to have very quick feet so has the ability to quickly make room for himself. Obviously only highlights so not going to show his bad moments, but at the same time they're highlights not focusing on him, so doing well to standout in them as a midfielder that plays deep, from what I've seen between highlights and the Scottish Youth Cup final he's more a deep-lying-playmaker than he is a DM.

If I didn't know he was Scottish and had to guess his nationality based on the way he plays, I'd probably guess that he's a young Spanish midfielder, as seems to have that style and way about his play, also have to remember that last season he was playing a year up for the U18s, technically you could say two years up because would have still qualified to play for the U15s, and will still qualify to play for the U16s next season as I don't think he turns sixteen until this month.

Looks an interesting player, hopefully the deal to sign him still going ahead.

• Like 2

Sounds promising. We could we some creativity in midfield at that level. The CEE Cup midfield was workmanlike but lacked a bit of guile.

Do you know anything about Dylan Mitchell? Never seen him before but he seemed to have something about him.

I don't know a great deal about Dylan Mitchell I've only seen highlights and the game time he got in the CEE Cup, I think he can play as a '6' or '8' technically good on the ball, was also U16 captain.

7 hours ago, useless said:

Watched quite a few extended highlights of Hearts U18 games and that Ewan Simpson looks a really good player, passing range and accuracy looks exceptional, also looks very skilful in the sense of if he receives the ball in tight situations he seems to have very quick feet so has the ability to quickly make room for himself. Obviously only highlights so not going to show his bad moments, but at the same time they're highlights not focusing on him, so doing well to standout in them as a midfielder that plays deep, from what I've seen between highlights and the Scottish Youth Cup final he's more a deep-lying-playmaker than he is a DM.

If I didn't know he was Scottish and had to guess his nationality based on the way he plays, I'd probably guess that he's a young Spanish midfielder, as seems to have that style and way about his play, also have to remember that last season he was playing a year up for the U18s, technically you could say two years up because would have still qualified to play for the U15s, and will still qualify to play for the U16s next season as I don't think he turns sixteen until this month.

The was pass he did in them highlights that I still don’t get how he did it so quickly and accurately. 

That one moment was enough for me to be excited to see him play. I hope we get the announcement soon for him

14 hours ago, useless said:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All external journalists have had their access cut to the Academy games this season. Weird move, wonder if it's because of the move to U21 from U23 and keeping them protected from the media more.

Cynically a few on twitter have wondered if press access to the likes of Carney has fostered the constant articles about him in the media and whether this is to protect the club somewhat from outside influences.

Not going to stop them just watching the VillaTV streams though so a bit of a shame either way to see this news as coverage of the U21/23's hasn't always been consistent by the club

U18s drew with Blackburn 2-2 today, Broggio scored one of the goals.

U16s also played Blackburn and beat them 3-1, they also beat Burton 4-1 last weekend, Cole Ramsey played in that one, don't know if he played today, but seems quite a few of the U14s that did well last season are already playing for the U16s, or at least in pre-season.

Sam Proctor played for England U17s today, they lost 3-0 to Norway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

U18s drew with Blackburn 2-2 today, Broggio scored one of the goals.

U16s also played Blackburn and beat them 3-1, they also beat Burton 4-1 last weekend, Cole Ramsey played in that one, don't know if he played today, but seems quite a few of the U14s that did well last season are already playing for the U16s, or at least in pre-season.

Sam Proctor played for England U17s today, they lost 3-0 to Norway.

Broggio big talent!

On 27/05/2022 at 15:39, useless said:

Interesting year coming up for the U14s group as next season will be U15s, some of them have already played for the U16s, also getting to the age where they can start getting considered for England U15s, and given how well they've done as a team, I'm guessing some will have a chance of getting a call up.

At least one of them as been called up to the England U15 camp later this month, will be interesting to see if there are any others. Even if it's just the one, good to see we've got more youngsters coming through being recognized internationally.

Â