Academy General Topic

smetrov

At the bottom of this page (Fotogalerie) there's a photo gallery from the Viktoria Plzen match, you have to cycle through a few pictures before getting to the ones from the Villa game.

A lot of the players I don't recognize, last season's first year scholars are there, Dylan Mitchell is also there, so I'm guessing a lot of the others must be last season's U16s being promoted to U18s next season, if the same players are going to compete in the CEE Cup next weekend then will make it interesting to watch, presuming it's on youtube like previous seasons.

Tomorrows' game against Rangers kick-off 12pm UK time.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, useless said:

U16s beat Arsenal 6-4 away today, some of the U14s from last season's Albert Phelan South winning team played a couple of ages up.

Thought that was the name of one of our regen players then for a second

• Like 1

List of the new scholars

Abube Onuchukwu, Thierry Katsukunya, Nile Timson, Sam Lewis, Dylan Mitchell, Travis Patterson, Charlie Pavey, Kadan Young, Archie Duerden, Omari Kellyman, I-Lani Edwards, Alex Hammond, Jack McDowell, Rory Wilson

There's also a brief description of each one on the official site

Wasn't expecting that many, I think Ewan Simpson probably still happening as well once he turns sixteen, and then considering the likes of Triston Rowe, Luka Lynch, and Broggio have already played for the U18s, we could see them play an age up on occassion as well, I think Broggio is with the U19s in Czech Republic at the moment.

Edited by useless
corrected spellings to reflect corrections made on official site
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, useless said:

List of the new scholars

Abube Onuchuckwu, Thierry Katsukunga, Nile Timson, Sam Lewis, Dylan Mitchell, Travis Patterson, Charlie Pavey, Kadan Young, Archie Durden, Omari Kellyman, I-Lani Edwards, Alex Hammond, Jack McDowell, Rory Wilson

There's also a brief description of each one on the official site

Wasn't expecting that many, I think Ewan Simpson probably still happening as well once he turns sixteen, and then considering the likes of Triston Rowe, Luka Lynch, and Broggio have already played for the U18s, we could see them play an age up on occassion as well, I think Broggio is with the U19s in Czech Republic at the moment.

I originally thought that Triston Rowe would be a scholar for this upcoming season. Is Ben Broggio an u16 for this upcoming season? Thanks for your analysis and posts on the young players, you educate me! I think it is Archie Duerden

As far as I'm aware first year scholars this year have to be born between September 1st 2005 August 31st 2006, it might be that Rowe turns sixteen this year but misses the August 31st deadline, which is what happened with Patterson last season, as he didn't turn sixteen until September.

Broggio turned fifteen in January, I think he can play for the U15s or U16s, he was playing for both last season, and given he's currently with the U18s in Czech Republic it could be that he gets some game time at that level as well next season.

• Thanks 1

On 14/07/2022 at 15:57, useless said:

I wish we would hurry up and name our new scholars for next season, we seem to leave everything late, would be nice to know that we've managed to hang onto our best sixteen year olds, noticed a few other teams have been losing theirs, I think brexit and not being able to sign U18s from Europe means there's now more competition for U18s in this country, good sign that Kadan Young played against Hednesford though.

Any surprises now we have the announcement @useless

I don’t follow the academy (apart from on this thread!) but would you say Kadan Young and Travis Patterson (plus the two new signings from Derby / Rangers) are the most promising prospects of the bunch at the moment?

Edited by Cizzler

I don't know if there are any surprises as such, I guess different people will have different ideas on that, but we haven't lost any of our better U16s, Kadan Young, and Travis Patterson were the two I was concerned that 'bigger' clubs might try and poach, so good to see that they've signed their scholarships with us.

There are no surprise new signings amonst them as there was last season, the new players, Kellyman, Katsukunya, and Wilson have already had their individual signing announcements, and all the others have come from our own academy, last season six of the new scholars came from our U16s, this season it's eleven, but whether we can read anything into that I'm not sure.

As for who the most promising ones are that's hard to say as U16 doesn't get any coverage, not even written match reports or scores officially published, some of these names are completely new to me. But I think in general, signs of academy players being highly rated in lower ages groups are things like them playing an age or two up, being youth internationals, and so on.

Going by the above criteria would say Wilson, Kellyman, Kadan Young, and Travis Patterson seem pretty promising, as they've all both played ages up and have been recognized internationally, Young and Patterson have both already played for the U23s and looked more than good enough at that level, we paid a lot of money for Thierry Katsukunga from Coventry, so can presumably take from that that we must rate him pretty highly.

All that said things like being youth internationals, playing age up, or costing a lot of money aren't the be all and end all, there will be a lot of former England youth internationals that have since faded into obscurity football wise, and some of the best current first team players won't have been anywhere near the youth national teams when they were academy players, players develop at different rates, all of them have done well to get scholarships so all must have some sort of promise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From what has been written maybe Ewan Simpson from Hearts will be added to this intake as well. He doesnt turn 16 till 28th July so thats probably why he hasnt been announced as yet. 

I don't know if we are strong enough to go deep in the FA Youth Cup this season but in defence and attack it looks very strong

Jayden Barber 

Kerr Smith

Josh Feeney

Travis Patterson 

A very strong back four at this age   all of them with National recognition

And then up front 

Rory Wilson, Kaden Young and Ajani Burchall .

Kaden Young looks very special indeed and Rory has obviously just scored 49 in a season so the talent is there up front as well 

I have no idea about midfield , but we do seem to produce them like they are growing on trees so there will be some decent players in there thst have just signed scholarship forms 

• Thanks 1

Â