Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

Just Broggio this time, but these lower age group England squads usually alternate from meet-up to meet-up, so our others that like Broggio were part of the U15 set-up last season, probably still under consideration, and might get a chance in the next squad or at some point further on in the season, which is what happend with Triston Rowe and Kadan Young last season, sometimes they were in the England U16 squad other times they'd miss out.

• Like 1

Us producing England Youth internationals is a good thing, it's one of the main ways by which the succeess of academies are measured, and obviously a good indication that the individual players getting call-ups are doing well presently, but also it's not the be all and end all, many England youth internationals go on to become lower league players, and lots of full England internationals won't have been anywhere near the England team as youth players...

Someone like Cameron Archer for instant was nowhere near any of the England youth squads until he got a call up the U20s last season, and it was only with the U21s that he got a run of games.

On 25/06/2022 at 07:10, useless said:

I see the club are advertising for a 'U23 Professional Development Phase Coach', which I think is basically means Carss assistant...

Hasn't been any further news on this as far as I'm aware, but seems to be a rumour that two West Brom coaches are leaving them, with at least one of them coming to us, Peter Gilbert is a name  being mentioned, he was their U18 manger when we played them in the FA Youth Cup semi-final, I think he's since worked with their U23s.

Edited by useless

U16s Triston Rowe and Ben Broggio both starting for the U18s in first game of the season, I know they're highly rated but wasn't expecting that, Rory wilson making his debut.

Going to be a tough game away to Southampton, they were league champions last season.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, useless said:

Finished 3-3, not a bad result away to a team that were champions last season.

Kobei Moore, and Kyrie Piere twice with our goals

Thats a good result! 

• Thanks 1

On 12/08/2022 at 19:36, useless said:

Hasn't been any further news on this as far as I'm aware, but seems to be a rumour that two West Brom coaches are leaving them, with at least one of them coming to us, Peter Gilbert is a name  being mentioned, he was their U18 manger when we played them in the FA Youth Cup semi-final, I think he's since worked with their U23s.

On the Professional Development Phase Coach, rumours in Exeter that Assistant Manager Dan Green is joining Villa. Green has been amazing, involved in the Exeter academy for 12 years developing the likes of Watkins and Chrisene (plus two other Premiership players). Tellingly Exeter's League One starting line up on Tuesday contained seven, yes seven, academy graduates. Not bad for a Grade 3 academy.

It has been announced that Green is joining  a Premiership club next month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Lost 4-0, game probably lost when they conceded three goals in the last nine minutes of the first half, was expecting a tough game as Palace always field a strong team in the U18 league and are usually there or thereabouts at the top of the table.

Main take away is Broggio, Triston Rowe, and Luka Lynch featuring already, it's normal for U16s to come into the U18s towards the end of the season, but not so much the start of the season, a sign that they're highly rated. Broggio not available today as is away with England.

No sign of Shakpoke, Burchall, Bogarde, Kadan Young, Ewan Simpson or Travis Patterson so far this season, we always seem to have a bunch of players missing at the same time.

They play 433 or a variation on it, I think sometimes it's more 4213.

Them losing a lot of games is nothing to do with Gerrard, it's just that the better U18 players get promoted to the U23s early, and also they've had a lot of players out injured.

And some years are better than others when it comes to new scholars, so how the U18s do can change from season to season.

FA Youth Cup will give us a better idea of how good our U18 team actually is as that's when we will try and field a strong a team as possible, hopefully we get a kinder draw this time.

• Like 1

On 08/08/2022 at 18:41, useless said:

Broggio has been called up to the England U16 squad for their games against Italy later this month.

First game kick-off at 5pm today, no idea if Broggio is starting but it's being broadcast on Italy's youtube channel.

• Like 1

Â