Premier League 2020-21 thread

Jareth

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

Wolves would be interesting which way they decide to go, Mendes has enough power and contact in the top clubs to swing it for them

How do you mean @zatman ? 

When you sat Mendes has enough power to swing it for Wolves, do you mean to get them an invite? 

The whole purpose of what they're doing is to keep Wolves (and Everton and us and a better Newcastle) away from the top table - Mendes and Wolves are the threat this is about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Wonder how much power the rest of the PL can have.

There's some good stuff in there for the lower end of the EFL IMO.

But they are definitely killing off any challengers and might try to just say fix it yourselves then and not support them at all.

The bolded part is true (with caveats), but absolutely nothing in the good parts for League One and Two clubs necessitates the shit about vetoing prospective owners or 'Special Voting Rights'.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Something more is at play here. 

They MUST know that the other teams not in their proposed club will vote against this. Its doomed to failure because its set up to fail as proposed.

So what's the real agenda? 

Use this as justification to leave for a European Super League? Or just to blame everyone else for not saving The EFL? 

Or come back with a new proposal that's not such a shit sandwich but nevertheless contains a fair amount of shit still. 

I've a feeling they might open up the exclusive club to teams like us and Newcastle who have had the most years in the PL until they get a big enough cartel for the vote to get through.   But there will still be something that enables Liverpool and Man U to achieve complete domination ultimately. 

I hope we and other clubs never vote for anything like this. One club one vote is the only fair way. 

Of the bolded, not the first one, but either or both of two and three.

• Like 1

Thinking about your good question @sidcow, what I think may be going on here is just the idea that if you get *your* plan, in *your* interests, out there first, then everyone else makes their plans by reacting to yours, and compromise with your plan can quickly become the default. There's also likely to be government action over the coming financial crisis in football, but they aren't going to want to spend a lot of time thinking about the issue, so if there's a plan just lying around . . .

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

How do you mean @zatman ? 

When you sat Mendes has enough power to swing it for Wolves, do you mean to get them an invite? 

The whole purpose of what they're doing is to keep Wolves (and Everton and us and a better Newcastle) away from the top table - Mendes and Wolves are the threat this is about.

I mean in the Premier League vote if they have one to back this idea. I am sure they can come to some sort of arrangement with Wolves of needed regarding allowing the transfer system they use

I can see most of the other 11 being against it, Newcastle im not sure as Ashley is unpredictable

Some of the top half Championship clubs as well. Boro, Stoke, Watford, Norwich etc. Its a losing situation for them as well 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I can see most of the other 11 being against it, Newcastle im not sure as Ashley is unpredictable

I've never little respect for the man, but he's not a moron, giving 9 clubs the ability to veto a takeover is completely against his best interests.

The fact that it’s been proposed by Liverpool and United should tell everyone everything they need to know about this proposal. 

There’s absolutely zero chance that they’re doing anything out of the goodness of their hearts, it’s designed to benefit and protect their standings and stature because they’ve obviously not confident of doing so through legitimate means.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

They MUST know that the other teams not in their proposed club will vote against this. Its doomed to failure because its set up to fail as proposed.

Use this as justification to leave for a European Super League? Or just to blame everyone else for not saving The EFL? 

Or come back with a new proposal that's not such a shit sandwich but nevertheless contains a fair amount of shit still. 

I've a feeling they might open up the exclusive club to teams like us and Newcastle who have had the most years in the PL until they get a big enough cartel for the vote to get through.   But there will still be something that enables Liverpool and Man U to achieve complete domination ultimately. 

I hope we and other clubs never vote for anything like this. One club one vote is the only fair way. 

If we did get invited and voted in favpur with liverpool and united i would be absolutely ashamed of the club and walk away.

This would destroy the game

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

Was typing out almost the exact same thing before I saw this comment. What's the end game because the current proposal is absolutely dead on arrival. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

I think this is a legitimate thing.

Clubs with the right infrastructure and a good owner can theoretically be right amongst the top within 3-5 years and the money withing the prem is now so ludicrous that its becoming a sort of super league by its self. Its partly why Man U and Arsenal now struggle so much. The league is too competitive for clubs that are run poorly to be successful.

If Villa, Leeds, Everton all keep trending upwards youd have 10 teams all capable of challenging for the top 4 in the future, if youre already an established club that's not what you want to see.

Yep, as it was it should have been impossible for us to have got relegated. The advantage of being in the PL for so many years should have allowed us to crush any newcomers promoted to the PL. 

It took some truly shambolic running of the club to mess it all up.  But the finance is so heavy that once a wobble starts it gets exaggerated. Bad players signed for massive fees and huge wages no one else wants to touch stop you getting rid of them to sign new better players.  Only takes a few of the ones you do manage to get in to also fail and the house of cards falls down.   

Many of the top clubs seem to be in that space right now.  All the big clubs are struggling to offload players due to high wages.  Man U have been unable to buy players they wanted because of this. 

If this goes ahead they will be unable to fail because they will be SO far ahead of everyone else that even if they have just one or two players come to the end of their contracts they could just hoover up the best 10 players from the also rans.  Their financial advantage will be so massive they would be able to get anyone they wanted from a lower level club. 

It's the most horrendous thing I've ever heard. 

• Like 1

Â