Ratings & Reactions: Everton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/07/20 at 22:59

1 hour ago, Khizzy said:

Can't help but think that if Trez was on the end of that cross that El Ghazi missed, he would have probably scored it, given his record of nicking goals at the far post.

Samatta and El Ghazi are both atrocious top flight footballers - El Ghazi might do a job for us next season but Samatta can do one, he's awful. In fact, let's get rid of all the crap that we purchased from the Belgian league - Wesley is no Benteke and Nakamba is rubbish as well.

I think we've made it very hard for ourselves now to stay up.

Samatta. I actually think he could.do ok. He.needs to get up to speed and have decent wingers

5 minutes ago, skell said:

About 8 of the 11 could.survive easily.in this division. Unfortunately we dont have a winger or striker who is above championship level. That is absolutely not on Smith. We need to stick with Smith irrespective if we.go.down

Stick with him, to achieve what exactly?

What have you seen from this season that gives you that confidence?

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

There is not much point in blaming individual misses or mistakes. We are where we are because of an accumulation of poor performances throughout the season. The team mentality is shockingly bad.

We need to build a better, gutsier, more determined team in the CH under a far superior manager to give ourselves a better chance of staying up when we come back up next time. 

I really dont get the criticism of Smith.  If we had bought the winger striker he wanted we would be staying up. We bought a.lot.of.non premier league ready players and its took a while for.them to fit in.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Stick with him, to achieve what exactly?

What have you seen from this season that gives you that confidence?

Well. He did get us promoted and would do so again with a superior team. That's a good enough reason.   

As far as this season I've seen enough to see the bad luck we have had, the lack of depth in the squad. The poor signings. Hes basically been given a dodgy motor and somehow we still have a fighting chance. Why would.you get rid of.him?

14 minutes ago, skell said:

About 8 of the 11 could.survive easily.in this division. Unfortunately we dont have a winger or striker who is above championship level. That is absolutely not on Smith. We need to stick with Smith irrespective if we.go.down

Does that follow? If you’re right, we surely should be sacking Smith for having colluded in creating such an inadequate squad?

(Not that I do think you’re right. A better manager would have got more out of this squad IMHO.)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, skell said:

I really dont get the criticism of Smith.  If we had bought the winger striker he wanted we would be staying up. We bought a.lot.of.non premier league ready players and its took a while for.them to fit in.

Everyone keeps saying this as if they are sitting in on board meetings and transfer discussions.

Just like every other club, I'm pretty sure Deano had a budget to work to, and probably had a big say in how it was distributed.

Even if he did "want" certain players, im pretty sure if he was desperate he would/could have sacrificed another 1 or 2 in to have THOSE players.

Aside from that, just like EVERY other manager, you don't always get every player you want.

In my view, Deano, with his Brentfordn experience probably thought he could apply the same type of "quantity" on the cheap approach and improve them as players and integrate a "system".

Sadly, he will have learnt the hard way that this is easier to do in the Championship. Some of the Championships best players will struggle in the Premier League.

Obviously I'm not certain of what has actually gone on myself, but neither are ANY of us!

To me this is less about "what player" and more about the TYPE of player we have brought in.

To many soft touches, too many too similar. Not getting a big commanding midfielder was/is criminal.

Deano /board should have realised that in the event of not being able to afford the "quality" at very least we would require brute strength and tenacity, fight and desire.

Too many clangers from multiple angles to mention.

Having said all that, MULTIPLE games have been there for the taking over the course of the season, and in alot of them we collapsed due to a lack of action.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Does that follow? If you’re right, we surely should be sacking Smith for having colluded in creating such an inadequate squad?

(Not that I do think you’re right. A better manager would have got more out of this squad IMHO.)

The squad building was generally ok. What was criminal is not buying a decent striker or winger. Smith obviously wanted his brentford boys but my point is we didnt get anyone which left us with 2 shit wingers and a striker who was clearly not ready for the premier league. We have a director of football responsible for making this happen. It didn't.

2 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Nah, if you know Villa they rarely deliver. I've been half interested, expecting the worst for most of the season because that's what this team provides. Again and again. Not good enough.

Oh I know but with 3 minutes to go the hope kicks in

Although I did say to my wife as soon as el ghazi missed that we would concede 

More fool me 

1 minute ago, skell said:

Well. He did get us promoted and would do so again with a superior team. That's a good enough reason.   

As far as this season I've seen enough to see the bad luck we have had, the lack of depth in the squad. The poor signings. Hes basically been given a dodgy motor and somehow we still have a fighting chance. Why would.you get rid of.him?

Dean Smith came in, in confident mood, from Brentford on a wave of exciting football, there were obvious attractions.....He did a very good job in getting us up, in 3/4 of a season, culminating in a history breaking run of 10 wins and finely fought play off games

However, this season has thrown up many talking points, for where do we go from here....relegation looks fairly inevitable.....we have achieved many stats for all the wrong reasons,amongst them, the worst goals against column, the team who have conceded more from winning positions, we are likely to lose some of our best players, while the club have a dubious record for signing players who make significant impact to the team.

We will unfortunately, all things expected, go in to the championship with a manager, who no longer has that wave of confidence, but on the back of a season featuring over 20 defeats.....The players have listened to him all season, and still flaws have existed.

I don't think we will see the same confident Dean Smith, that came in to the club and I don't see the turn around in fortunes we need from the transfer market, either.....it will be more of who's fault is it.....i see more no accountability......if it does't work a new man has to have another3/4 season, to do the same again....is that planning?

Personally, I see so many things that are wrong, the stability argument is in question in these circumstances.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Are you taking into account the arse raping we will get off Arsenhole?

Even 34 points could keep us up on goal difference. If Watford lose their remaining 3 games and worsen their goal difference by about 7 or 8 goals and Bournemouth pick up no more than 2 points in their last 2 games then we can afford to lose to Arsenal by the odd goal then beat West Ham. So many scenarios!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Everyone keeps saying this as if they are sitting in on board meetings and transfer discussions.

Just like every other club, I'm pretty sure Deano had a budget to work to, and probably had a big say in how it was distributed.

Even if he did "want" certain players, im pretty sure if he was desperate he would/could have sacrificed another 1 or 2 in to have THOSE players.

Aside from that, just like EVERY other manager, you don't always get every player you want.

In my view, Deano, with his Brentfordn experience probably thought he could apply the same type of "quantity" on the cheap approach and improve them as players and integrate a "system".

Sadly, he will have learnt the hard way that this is easier to do in the Championship. Some of the Championships best players will struggle in the Premier League.

Obviously I'm not certain of what has actually gone on myself, but neither are ANY of us!

To me this is less about "what player" and more about the TYPE of player we have brought in.

To many soft touches, too many too similar. Not getting a big commanding midfielder was/is criminal.

Deano /board should have realised that in the event of not being able to afford the "quality" at very least we would require brute strength and tenacity, fight and desire.

Too many clangers from multiple angles to mention.

Having said all that, MULTIPLE games have been there for the taking over the course of the season, and in alot of them we collapsed due to a lack of action.

Personally, i think you are so close to the real issues.......sadly, i don't hear the noises to suggest the decision makers feel the same.

I don't see much changing in the near future, but hope i am wrong.

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Everyone keeps saying this as if they are sitting in on board meetings and transfer discussions. YOU ARE RIGHT!

Just like every other club, I'm pretty sure Deano had a budget to work to, and probably had a big say in how it was distributed. YOU ARE PROBABLY RIGHT HOW MUCH OF  A SAY IN NAKAMBA TREZ LUIZ WE DONT REALLY KNOW.

Even if he did "want" certain players, im pretty sure if he was desperate he would/could have sacrificed another 1 or 2 in to have THOSE players.  THIS IS THE POINT, WE NEEDED EVERY PLAYER/POSITION THAT WE BOUGHT. WE COULDNT SACRIFICE ANYWHERE . IT WAS OBVIOUSLY A.DIFFICULT TASK BUT MY POINT IS TREZ AND NAKAMBA AND WESLEY HAVE COST US. WHO DO YOU THINK BOUGHT THOSE?

In my view, Deano, with his Brentfordn experience probably thought he could apply the same type of "quantity" on the cheap approach and improve them as players and integrate a "system". YES. I HONESTLY THINK THE IDEA WAS TO BUY FOR 10 MILLION AND SELL.FOR.30 MILLION. WELL, THAT HASNT WORKED!

Obviously I'm not certain of what has actually gone on myself, but neither are ANY of us! I AGREE BUT THERE ARE MANY REASONS WHY WE SHOULD STICK WITH SMITH. INJUST DONT GET THOSE WANTING HIMOUT

To many soft touches, too many too similar. Not getting a big commanding midfielder was/is criminal. YEP. MY FIRST THOUGHT ON PROMOTION WAS ABIG STRONG HOLDING MIDFIELDER AND AN UGLY CENTE HALF WOTH EXPERIENCE. BUT WE DIDNT HAVE THE MONEY IN WAGES OR NOONE WAS AVAILABLE. CAN YOU THINKNOF.ANYONE?

Too many clangers from multiple angles to mention. YEP. MANY OF WHICH BY THE PLAYERS.

Having said all that, MULTIPLE games have been there for the taking over the course of the season, and in alot of them we collapsed due to a lack of action.   MY POINT WOULD BE THAT WE HAVE NOTHING ON THE BENCH , ITS SO HARD TO CHANGE THINGS.

I've put my comments above,I'm  definitely interested in what you would do with Smith in the 2 scenarios of up and down. And who would you replace him with 

• Like 1

The fact that people have voted Conor for MOTM convinces me that were actually watching different matches. One good delivery for the goal, everything else was gash.

Edited by Vancvillan
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stewiek2 said:

And by the way, before his injury last season this was the Jack we are now seeing since restart. So the Jack we saw after his injury last season isn't the true Grealish, but this Grealish we see now that was the Jack before his injury last season,

WTF 😕 So before was real and so is now but inbetween was fake.  :crylaugh:

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, gaffer85 said:

Oh I know but with 3 minutes to go the hope kicks in

Although I did say to my wife as soon as el ghazi missed that we would concede 

More fool me 

I said exactly the same to my wife......don't you just hate it, when you can see it coming.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Dean Smith came in, in confident mood, from Brentford on a wave of exciting football, there were obvious attractions.....He did a very good job in getting us up, in 3/4 of a season, culminating in a history breaking run of 10 wins and finely fought play off games

However, this season has thrown up many talking points, for where do we go from here....relegation looks fairly inevitable.....we have achieved many stats for all the wrong reasons,amongst them, the worst goals against column, the team who have conceded more from winning positions, we are likely to lose some of our best players, while the club have a dubious record for signing players who make significant impact to the team.

We will unfortunately, all things expected, go in to the championship with a manager, who no longer has that wave of confidence, but on the back of a season featuring over 20 defeats.....The players have listened to him all season, and still flaws have existed.

I don't think we will see the same confident Dean Smith, that came in to the club and I don't see the turn around in fortunes we need from the transfer market, either.....it will be more of who's fault is it.....i see more no accountability......if it does't work a new man has to have another3/4 season, to do the same again....is that planning?

Personally, I see so many things that are wrong, the stability argument is in question in these circumstances.

We go down, lose Jack maybe one more. This team with a couple of good signings would come back up again. I guarantee after 3 wins in the championship all the positivity will return again. No need to change .

4 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

The fact that people have voted Conor for MOTM convinces me that were actually watching different matches. One good delivery door the goal, everything else was gash.

It actually wasn't.....one if his better games, one of the few, i thought might score ....he also made some penetrative midfield passes and made himself available in the middle a number or times.

yeah, one of his better games for us.