Ratings & Reactions: Everton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/07/20 at 22:59

20 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Think Smith basically got this right, but was let down by individual mistakes. A really painful result in the end.

He was let down, as is the case almost every game, for failing to spot the tired legs on the pitch.

Hourihane, McGinn and Grealish were all running on empty when Ancelotti freshened his midfield, the tables turned and DS did nothing.

No, he did something, he called out and told players to sit deeper, i heard and saw it on the coverage.

Hes a weak manager of weak players.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Do i need to remind you that Drinkwater was a Smith signing?

I wouldn't trust DS with any transfer money.

There was noone available. Who would you have signed to cover mginn injury

1 minute ago, flashingqwerty said:

He was let down, as is the case almost every game, for failing to spot the tired legs on the pitch.

Hourihane, McGinn and Grealish were all running on empty when Ancelotti freshened his midfield, the tables turned and DS did nothing.

No, he did something, he called out and told players to sit deeper, i heard and saw it on the coverage.

And which subs would you have made.? 

And i doubt he said sit deeper 

45 minutes ago, TRO said:

It actually wasn't.....one if his better games, one of the few, i thought might score ....he also made some penetrative midfield passes and made himself available in the middle a number or times.

yeah, one of his better games for us.

Before he put the ball in for the goal the commentator even said "based on today I wouldn't have Hourihane anywhere near this if I was the manager". They were talking up his delivery early on so it's not like they were biased. Obviously he put that one good ball in, but his delivery was objectively terrible before that.

26 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Think Smith basically got this right, but was let down by individual mistakes. A really painful result in the end.

Leicester was let down by some individual mistakes against Bournemouth in their previous game.....Tonight against Sheff Utd, they put that right.

We have been making individual mistakes in nearly every game all season......you see some teams put things right.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

I couldn't believe some of the things he said....pure fantasy.

In contrast, Wilder had a bad night with his lot and told the truth, despite the unsavoury nature of it.

I have a real dubious view of managers who keep defending their players, despite obvious shortcomings.....I understand the essence of retaining their confidence, but it can also drift in to condoning or covering your own arse, through mutual loyalty.

Really, TRO?

What part of the post match interview was fantasy?

For me, the whole interview was nail on the head, except for perhaps his comments about us being resilient when he was asked a difficult question to answer.

Even then, if you consider the context in which he's speaking, he's honest. He doesn't say we are a resilient team, he means we have a resilient collection of individuals, mentally.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

The bench was rubbish. A load of kids, Lansbury who has shown nothing for us even in the championship, and a non goal scoring forward.  What was Deano supposed to magic up from that?

Edited by The Fun Factory

9 minutes ago, smg said:

Watching motd and was wondering how we would have done this year if we hadn’t written off that miserable lazy b***ard Jordan Ayew and replaced him with what we have now. Perhaps if players were given more of a chance we could build a squad rather than demanding perfection every time they step on the pitch.

This is so accurate.There are many comments on here that  x is completely rubbish and we need to get rid of.Then we sell them at a loss and buy somebody else who is worse .The huge turnaround of players we have had at this club has to stop it’s not sustainable financially .

Elmo,Taylor,Hause are players who have had huge amounts of criticism but who I think recently have performed well. Look at Luiz probably our best player at the moment but who struggled at start of the season.

I found the game physically painful to watch and was not that surprised by the equaliser.To stay up we need Watford and ,Bouremouth to not win any more games and we need 4 points unlikely but not impossible.As long as it’s not mathematically certain I still have retain a minuscule amount of hope.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chappy said:

Absolute sickener. Haven’t felt this deflated after a game in ages. Think we’ll come to rue that AEG miss but we should’ve dealt better with their goal.

No idea what we want tomorrow night. Disagree with those hoping for a Watford win though - think that would be worst outcome for us.

As to be a West Ham win for us to have the more possible escape route. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

Really, TRO?

What part of the post match interview was fantasy?

For me, the whole interview was nail on the head, except for perhaps his comments about us being resilient when he was asked a difficult question to answer.

Even then, if you consider the context in which he's speaking, he's honest. He doesn't say we are a resilient team, he means we have a resilient collection of individuals, mentally.

No he's not...he is delusional or defiant against our miserable season.

He says we are resillient, spare me the semantics.....this is a team that has lost more games all season from winning positions, a team that has conceded more goals in the last 15 minutes of a game, something winners don't do or resillient individuals. Their mental strength is Bankrupt.....its an insult to our intelligence......I know what mentally equipped players look like, we have had them in our team......I know what resillient players look like, we have had them too.

Its laughable....they are anything but resillient, they are powder puff and their mentality and courage is brittle......remember " The team mirrors the manager", Dean Said So.

He said " the players have got better as the season has progressed"......Have they? well the results would suggest otherwise......Oh Hold on Sorry !! .....Dean is not a results man really, he is a performance man, so that has probably circumnavigated that point....our good performances have rendered 8 wins in 36 matches......there is a rake of Stats too embarrassing to repeat unless you are a sadist.

He is obviously, getting ready for the end of season meeting, where you just lie until your gums bleed and tell them everything is just fine and next season we will come straight back up....these people have more money than sense and don't know the difference between a goal post and a corner flag.....they will be convinced we have a resillient team.....Dean said so on TV......"and all the players have got better" despite all the evidence saying different.

Its Bull Shit, with a Bow Ribbon around it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, TRO said:

Leicester was let down by some individual mistakes against Bournemouth in their previous game.....Tonight against Sheff Utd, they put that right.

We have been making individual mistakes in nearly every game all season......you see some teams put things right.

What does this even mean? What can Smith do about his second choice winger being incapable of tucking the ball away into an open goal? What point are you trying to make here? Whatever it is, I don’t agree.

14 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

This is so accurate.There are many comments on here that  x is completely rubbish and we need to get rid of.Then we sell them at a loss and buy somebody else who is worse .The huge turnaround of players we have had at this club has to stop it’s not sustainable financially .

Elmo,Taylor,Hause are players who have had huge amounts of criticism but who I think recently have performed well. Look at Luiz probably our best player at the moment but who struggled at start of the season.

I found the game physically painful to watch and was not that surprised by the equaliser.To stay up we need Watford and ,Bouremouth to not win any more games and we need 4 points unlikely but not impossible.As long as it’s not mathematically certain I still have retain a minuscule amount of hope.

You make a decent point, but other coaching teams may be better than ours or the managers blend them better in to a more rounded team with players who have complimenting attributes.

Thats what good managers do......we have too many players too similar with gaps in attributes.....but that is our fault too.

Whether we buy poor players or don't get enough out of them at BMH.....that is our problem and we don't seem to solve it.

fans can blame who they like, but it will continue unchecked, unless we take action.

39 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Just not remotely what happened. We were let down by lack of quality, not lack of energy.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

What does this even mean? What can Smith do about his second choice winger being incapable of tucking the ball away into an open goal? What point are you trying to make here? Whatever it is, I don’t agree.

so, you don't know the point I am making....but don't agree with it anyway.

so Ok,nice start.......... lets just pick out one flaw from tonight, when in fact there has been oh so many all season.

Defending aerial balls..... we have been piss poor all season, we have conceded more goals from set pieces than any other club..... we have conceded headed goals from the back post, in so many games.

all teams lose games, but they work on stuff and recover......we have been poor with tonights kind of goal all season......where exactly is this work at BMH.....We have embarked on runs of defeats with clear shortcomings in evidence in those games.

Its ok saying the players are not good enough, but they can be made better and they are worse, in relation to results.

where are these improvements, i am being told exist.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Just nonsense. We have defended really well since lockdown, despite injuries to Heaton, Engels, Guilbert and Taylor.

Smith has organised our defence well since lockdown, but unfortunately he has no decent attacking options since Samatta, Davis, El Ghazi, and Trezeguet are all relegation quality, and not quick enough to hit teams on the break.

Every non-Villa fan I’ve spoken to about our recent performances agrees with this. For some reason, some fans on VT think a better coach could have turned all these players into world class performers with some better coaching drills or half time team talks. It’s nonsense.

Edited by KentVillan
Nonsense
  • Like 1

I think the team is trying hard and is united behind the coach. Unfortunately we are lacking a bit of quality and nous, and that is probably going to get us relegated.

It's hardy a positive point but its a much better position than the last time we were relegated in 15/16 with no manager and a owner desperate to sell.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Just not remotely what happened. We were let down by lack of quality, not lack of energy.

and who's fault is that?.....surely he had a mind for what he wanted to face the season with.....maybe he didn't choose them, but he must have sanctioned them....He admitted himself he scouted Wesley.

What about making them better, we have JT Rok and Deano.....some of the faults have been with us all season.......Dean said he has watched all the games back from the season during lockdown to right some of the wrongs......That goal tonight was similar to ones in the early part of the season....what has changed.....Samatta, was better than this when he first come us, where has his form gone?

Individual errors are difficult to erase, but a good manager has to try to do that, and they do......Look at Traore with us, head down steam train, never looked up, headless chicken, other coaches have worked with him and he is now a first teamer, with those added attributes many of us thought was not achieveable, perhaps with us they wasn't.

If we want to move forward, we have to stop papering over the cracks.

I accept that I am not in a position to know all the answers, I am not privvy to the relevant stuff.....but my time watching this great club, tells me something is most definately wrong internally.

• Like 1

Is Deans position Head coach or manager. I think its head coach. I have seen no change to the continual leaking of goals by the defence. Is he coaching them ?, are they following what he has coached ?. Either his coaching is not working  / has not been working all season OR the players are not doing what he has asked / have not been doing what he has asked all season.

I think this is not just a matter of opinion it shows in goals against that one of the above is correct.

So it stands to reason that either he is not a good enough coach or not a good enough manager to make people do as he asks. There for he has to go. I was so pleased he came to Villa. I'm not so chuffed now. Taxi for Dean 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skell said:

I think if you read papers and journalists who are in the know it was a commonly held opinion re Maupay and Benrahma.  So it's not just pulling them out of the air. My point is that players were  bought by Suso that have been awful.

Well, if you think that Smith had no say in the purchase of players, I do not agree. I do agree that Suso should also accompany Smith out the door.