U.S. Presidential Election 2020

maqroll

U.S. Presidential Election 2020  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

The longer it goes on for, the more horrified I am. 6 months ago the president publicly suggested that "medical doctors" check if injecting disinfectant could be a cure. 

70m people voted for him. There are dozens of incidents that Trump ploughed through that would have finished any other politician, but even a lost election doesn't seem to have done it. American democracy is in its death throes.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The longer it goes on for, the more horrified I am. 6 months ago the president publicly suggested that "medical doctors" check if injecting disinfectant could be a cure. 

70m people voted for him. There are dozens of incidents that Trump ploughed through that would have finished any other politician, but even a lost election doesn't seem to have done it. American democracy is in its death throes.

He was being sarcastic *

* I doubt that particular definition of the word could be found in any English dictionary. In the same way as the old joke about "karaoke" originally being the Japanese word for "tone-deaf",  "sarcastic" might turn up to be the term for "musing in public while being totally out of my depth" in some obscure language.

His latest strategy is to get the individual states to ignore the election votes and return their college votes to him......... This is apparently technically possible.  The states only go along with the election results due to custom, they are not obliged to do it in law due to arcane laws from the birth of the United States. 

Mental. 

There are a lot of calls from Trump supporters on social media to boycott the Republican party including the Georgia run-off votes because of the result being confirmed there.

Most likely the people writing it aren't even from Georgia but if they are it could get very interesting.

3 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

There are a lot of calls from Trump supporters on social media to boycott the Republican party including the Georgia run-off votes because of the result being confirmed there.

Most likely the people writing it aren't even from Georgia but if they are it could get very interesting.

Would be hilarious

2 minutes ago, sne said:

On a side note both Donald Trump Jr and Andrew Guiliani (son of Rude boy Rudy) are in quarantine with Covid atm.

Thoughts and prayers? 

So do GOP Senators Rick Scott (Florida) and Chuck Grassley (Iowa)

10 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I think it's time for the media to just agree to ignore him for 2 months. The world needs to just put him on ignore and stop entertaining this lunacy.

I understand your point. But I beg to differ, it’s important that bigoted, dangerous despots like Trump are shown for what they are. The media has a responsibility to reveal creatures like Trump for the menace they are. To do otherwise simply gives him license to continue his corrupt machinations without being held to account. After he’s thrown out the White House, then ignore the word removed.

If Biden manages to get control of both houses he really really needs to tighten up election rules to stop another Trump trying to find these loopholes.

Principally the states should be forced to put their electoral college votes to whoever won the vote. It's ludicrous they have any choice in the matter. 

And also lay out for once and for all exactly what the rules are on postal votes. 

They need faith to be reinstated in the system.

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

If Biden manages to get control of both houses he really really needs to tighten up election rules to stop another Trump trying to find these loopholes.

Principally the states should be forced to put their electoral college votes to whoever won the vote. It's ludicrous they have any choice in the matter. 

And also lay out for once and for all exactly what the rules are on postal votes. 

Not sure that its possible as a mandate from Federal Government. States, in that respect are independent, which is why Nebraska and Maine split their EC Votes

There was a move underway in Dem controlled States to  send their EC delegates to vote for the winner of the National Popular Vote. A good number passed it into State Law but on the proviso that enough States joined (there was a number) so that the winner of the Polular Vote effectively won enough of the EC votes. I can't remember how far they got and if there was a guilotine on the law i.e. it lapsed after this election

9 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Are we sure they are actually Trump supporters? Because if I was a Democrat supporter that’s exactly the kind of thing I’d try and get trending. 

58 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not sure that its possible as a mandate from Federal Government. States, in that respect are independent, which is why Nebraska and Maine split their EC Votes

There was a move underway in Dem controlled States to  send their EC delegates to vote for the winner of the National Popular Vote. A good number passed it into State Law but on the proviso that enough States joined (there was a number) so that the winner of the Polular Vote effectively won enough of the EC votes. I can't remember how far they got and if there was a guilotine on the law i.e. it lapsed after this election

The laws are still on the books of the various states, and I don't think are time-limited in any way, though of course they could be repealed. The states involved add up to far less than 270 electoral college votes though, and every one that has passed it has been a solid blue state, most with a Dem trifecta.

Though both parties can in theory benefit from an electoral college bias, Republicans have been the beneficiaries both times in living memory a candidate won the electoral college while losing the popular vote. If the parties had won one election each in 2000 and 2016, then there might be bipartisan agreement to get rid of the electoral college at this point, but instead Republicans are invested in defending it to the hilt.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

To be fair Trump and his team seem to be making a really shit attempt at finding these loopholes, which makes it seem like they're actually pretty tight. He is the closest they're ever going to get to having a despot in charge I'd have thought, although they shouldn't get too complacent.

11 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

To be fair Trump and his team seem to be making a really shit attempt at finding these loopholes, which makes it seem like they're actually pretty tight. He is the closest they're ever going to get to having a despot in charge I'd have thought, although they shouldn't get too complacent.

season 1 showtime GIF by Our Cartoon President

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

Whatever one says about Trump, his win in 2016 was about as purely democratic as it gets. 

You are either for a democratic system or...

The humorous thing about all of this was the effort put in by the anti-Trump crowd to flip electors 4 years ago. The memory hole is powerful.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, bickster said:

Currently at 195. With a number of states including MI having it passed in 1/2 of the states bodies (house/senate). Slow progress, but progress.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villakram said:

Whatever one says about Trump, his win in 2016 was about as purely democratic as it gets. 

In a "pure" democratic system, I'd expect every person's vote to be worth the same. 

• Like 1

Â