U.S. Presidential Election 2020

maqroll

U.S. Presidential Election 2020  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This guy wants to talk to the manager

https://www.newsweek.com/donor-sues-pro-trump-group-2-5-million-failing-prove-voter-fraud-1550457

Donor Sues Pro-Trump Group for $2.5 Million for Failing to Prove Voter Fraud

A North Carolina money manager is suing a pro-Trump group for $2.5 million after the group failed to show evidence of voter fraud in the 2020 presidential election or provide him with updates on their efforts.

Fred Eshelman donated the money to True the Vote Inc., a Houston-based organization, which had promised to "investigate, litigate, and expose suspected illegal balloting and fraud in the 2020 general election," according to Bloomberg.

If I was a 'money manager', I would probably not want to publicise the fact that I had been taken in by one of the most obvious scams that has ever existed.

Hard to tell who is more stupid, him or the people who trust him to 'manage' their money.

• Like 2

Pennsylvania lawsuit rejected by a Trump appointed judge saying "Charges require specific allegations and then proof. We have neither here" 

This backs up the findings of the lower court and now the campaign is celebrating saying its time to go to the Supreme Court. 

2 lower courts have thrown it out completely out of hand due to no evidence. 

1) once again this process must be costing so much money so donors are just being ripped off. 

2) if the supreme Court does overturn this it will show without any shadow of a doubt corruption of the absolutely highest order. 

I presume the main reason for the recounts is to look busy while the donations from the gullible rubes keep pouring in. I would love to know the extent to which they've made a dent into his campaign's debts.

Of course, that won't stop me laughing when these recounts turn out to a] be almost 100% correct the first time, and b] marginally increase Biden's lead (most recounts apparently lead to slightly *larger* winning margins).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I presume the main reason for the recounts is to look busy while the donations from the gullible rubes keep pouring in. I would love to know the extent to which they've made a dent into his campaign's debts.

Of course, that won't stop me laughing when these recounts turn out to a] be almost 100% correct the first time, and b] marginally increase Biden's lead (most recounts apparently lead to slightly *larger* winning margins).

It's not just that, it's that these actions are taking donations away from the Senate Run Off Campaigns in Georgia AND also leading to Trump supporters openly saying they are going to boycott the vote for those elections too that makes it even funnier

Meanwhile the Dems are getting donations a plenty for Georgia

1 minute ago, bickster said:

It's not just that, it's that these actions are taking donations away from the Senate Run Off Campaigns in Georgia AND also leading to Trump supporters openly saying they are going to boycott the vote for those elections too that makes it even funnier

Meanwhile the Dems are getting donations a plenty for Georgia

I am extremely pessimistic about the Dems chances in those run-offs, and have been all along. I think they'll each be around the 45% mark, to be honest.

I'd love to be proven wrong of course, but I don't see it.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I am extremely pessimistic about the Dems chances in those run-offs, and have been all along. I think they'll each be around the 45% mark, to be honest.

I'd love to be proven wrong of course, but I don't see it.

I think in "normal" times, I'd wholeheartedly agree especially with the US electorate seemingly liking a government that does nothing but I do think there is more of a chance than usual in the current circumstances. I'm not saying it will happen, just that its more likely than usual. The Dems do have certain elements in their favour more than they'd normally expect including great organisation on the ground in Georgia and very good donations right now, add in to the mix, the GOP being either distracted by the court battles and the candidates facing really odd demands from their own electorate (and Purdue being a complete gibbon), the balance does tip slightly more towards the Dems than usual imo. I'd still have the GOP candidates marginally as favourites though

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think in "normal" times, I'd wholeheartedly agree especially with the US electorate seemingly liking a government that does nothing but I do think there is more of a chance than usual in the current circumstances. I'm not saying it will happen, just that its more likely than usual. The Dems do have certain elements in their favour more than they'd normally expect including great organisation on the ground in Georgia and very good donations right now, add in to the mix, the GOP being either distracted by the court battles and the candidates facing really odd demands from their own electorate (and Purdue being a complete gibbon), the balance does tip slightly more towards the Dems than usual imo. I'd still have the GOP candidates marginally as favourites though

Yeah, I think that's a fair summary. I'm just on the pessimistic end of that analysis.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Pennsylvania lawsuit rejected by a Trump appointed judge saying "Charges require specific allegations and then proof. We have neither here" 

This backs up the findings of the lower court and now the campaign is celebrating saying its time to go to the Supreme Court. 

2 lower courts have thrown it out completely out of hand due to no evidence. 

1) once again this process must be costing so much money so donors are just being ripped off. 

2) if the supreme Court does overturn this it will show without any shadow of a doubt corruption of the absolutely highest order. 

The 3 Judges as well were Trump/Republican appointments as well. I actually don’t think even the SCOTUS will find in favour of him. If there was any actual evidence then they would likely run with it as there is something to justify it, but there simply isn’t. 

• Like 2

I've been thinking about the amount of time which elapses between losing an election and the new regime taking control.  It sure leaves a lot of time for the incumbents to cause a lot of mayhem for the incoming leadership. 

Obviously you would hope for a bit of sense but Trump has shown his only priority is to neglect his duties and to sabotage as much as he can. 

In the UK the new Prime Minister takes over literally the next day.   I've seen reports from outgoing Prime Ministers about what a shock it is. Quite unceremoniously chucked out of the back door apparently. 

I realise the USA job is much much bigger but the UK isn't exactly like running a sweet shop by comparison. 

I can see the benefit of a handover period but surely somewhere between 1 day and 2 months would be more sensible. 

I wonder if much more of the actual function of Government in the UK is carried out by the Civil Service, whereas political appointees do more of the functional work in the US? 

Edited by sidcow

You're right to suggest an incoming president has much more to do, there are in the region of 350 appointments to make, compared to the PM just having their cabinet, and already having a good idea who that'll consist of due to them already having a shadow cabinet.

Still, the US election goes on for about a year doesn't it? It probably wouldn't hurt to have candidates lined up in advance.

ProPublica have a really good page keeping track of completed and proposed regulatory changes from the Trump administration on track for adoption before the end of the 'transition period'. Some of these could be overturned by the Biden administration, but in many cases not for several months or years. You can read the full list of most note-worthy ones here: https://projects.propublica.org/trump-midnight-regulations/#1015150

. . . but to summarise, here are some of the more egregious rule changes:

Completed - allowing death row inmates to be executed by means other than lethal injection; trying to make it harder for pension fund managers to choose investments based on anything except financial reasons; raising wage minimums for visa holders, making it harder to get a work visa; lowering wages for immigrant farmworkers; requiring some visitors to the US to post a $15k bond (!) that can be repaid when they leave the country

Final Review - excluding secondary environmental and health benefits from consideration in air pollution regulation; loosening efficiency standards for showerheads and washing machines; maintaing existing air standards for soot (they have been advised that these existing standards cause tens of thousands of early deaths per year - this would delay stricter standards by 5 years at minimum); narrowing eligibility for food stamps

Proposed - making it easier to develop near waterways; loosening restrictions on overfishing; allowing homeless shelters to exclude transgender people; broadening the definition of independent contractors (so that gig economy workers have fewer rights); loosening regulations on truck drivers so they can drive longer shifts and begin truck driving at 18

. . . and on and on.

This is the stuff that the institutional Republican party cares about. Of course it's easy for someone with my politics to get annoyed by these terrible ideas, but it is of course the case that every administration does this in the transition period, and Reublicans could and did get annoyed about the Obama admin cramming all sorts of stuff into their final few weeks as well. None of this rushed rule-making to please the base and the donors is particularly conducive to good governance.

• Like 1

Â