Corona Summer holidays - Inspire me

KenjiOgiwara

5 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Currently planning a summer holiday abroad. I'm trying to get in quick before the prices go up.

At Christmas we booked Florida for May, following the carnage of January it looks extremely unlikely to go ahead now. I’ll keep one eye on July / August prices and the other on the vaccine rollout and possibly have a punt at some point. 

5 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

as going to GC again in April, just transferred it to Majorca Santa Ponsa Sun beach hotel September never been there   

has any one been there ?

Went to Santa Ponsa about 20 years ago. Small resort with a nice beach and marina, not sure what it would be like now though.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

as going to GC again in April, just transferred it to Majorca Santa Ponsa Sun beach hotel September never been there   

has any one been there ?

Went to Santa Ponsa about 20 years ago. Small resort with a nice beach and marina, not sure what it would be like now though.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, AndyClarke said:

I was supposed to be in Florida in August last year, kicked the can to August this year and have no idea if I should be expecting to go or not. Lots of scaremongering going on with differing reasoning, I intend to go if i can!

In the same boat as you but opted for a refund instead of rebooking for this year.

personally I’d be wary of going this summer so we’re going to look at going next summer instead... 

This year, we’re probably not going away at all - luckily we live in Devon so can have great days away at will. 

I understand the emotions behind wanting a holiday, completely understand and am really looking forward to one myself but I’d rather wait a little bit longer and let all the dust settle following widespread rollout of everyone’s second vaccinations both here and abroad and make absolutely sure that it’s safe to do so for me and my family and that we are also safe and won’t affect anyone else.

• Like 3

Nah I can't accept it.

I'd understand that mentality after 3 months, 6 months, even a year. You know, let's all buckle down and stay in this together. I was incredibly pro-lockdown, pro all measures needed.

But 2 years?

****. That. I'm tired of pausing my life for a virus that has a tiny risk of killing me. I'm sorry if people think that's selfish, but I don't think it is within this time frame.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Nah I can't accept it.

I'd understand that mentality after 3 months, 6 months, even a year. You know, let's all buckle down and stay in this together. I was incredibly pro-lockdown, pro all measures needed.

But 2 years?

****. That. I'm tired of pausing my life for a virus that has a tiny risk of killing me.

You go on holiday after having your second dose, you pick it up but have no idea because you are vaccinated. You bring it back and pass it on to someone who hasn’t had their second dose yet (maybe not even their first dose based on which group they fall into) then they get unwell and die. That’s why I won’t risk it just yet. I’d rather have a domestic holiday at a place with accommodation spaces out and good isolation controls, there’s still an element of risk but it’s much much more controllable. 

What are the chances though? if I'm in a position to have had my 2nd dose (under 30, no health conditions) then the chances are the majority of at risk people have had it months ago. I'm sorry but I'm not cancelling my life because I might infect someone in their 20s/30s. There are diseases commonly on the planet that can kill U30s but likely don't. Should I shut down my entire life for them too?

Humans are awful at accessing risk.

Vaccinate everyone with any sort of increased risk  and open the **** up. Enough.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

The virus is shit, but at the end of the day, you cannot expect healthy people at low risk to pause their lives for 2 years. It is a complete absurdity there isn't a clear path out of lockdown already to be honest. 

They got pelters for announcing the Xmas relaxation too far in advance before they discovered how much more contagious the new strain is.  They're a bit damned if they do, damned if they don't.  Feb 22 is the next update isn't it?  Not too long to wait, I'd hope it would at least start with going back into a tiered system and then pretty much everyone will hopefully be vaccinated by mid-summer and can go on holiday, assuming there isn't a big setback from a new strain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

They got pelters for announcing the Xmas relaxation too far in advance before they discovered how much more contagious the new strain is.  They're a bit damned if they do, damned if they don't.  Feb 22 is the next update isn't it?  Not too long to wait, I'd hope it would at least start with going back into a tiered system and then pretty much everyone will hopefully be vaccinated by mid-summer and can go on holiday, assuming there isn't a big setback from a new strain.

It's complete insanity and a complete failure of statesmanship that it could be 18 months from start to finish tbh.

There was an interesting caller on LBC this morning who talked about prioritising economically active people and kids/students for the vaccine, starting with key workers, so we could just get out as we're vaccinated, and have vulnerable people shield, with the knowledge that their carers are vaccinated. It was an argument I hadn't heard before and it did get me thinking.

Edited by Davkaus

I’m a healthcare assistant for the nhs, I’m knackered and in urgent need of a break/holiday. I’m healthy and 35 years old. Ive been fortunate enough to have my first dose and am shortly receiving my second. I can wait until it’s safe for a holiday and be grateful for other freedoms we will get back hopefully end of feb/start of March to make up for not going on holiday. An evil government making catastrophic mistakes doesn’t change the reality we are in. 

I also think it’s a very dangerous path to go down basing people on economical viability instead of health/vulnerability. 

Edited by Ingram85

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

There was an interesting caller on LBC this morning who talked about prioritising economically active people and kids/students for the vaccine, starting with key workers, so we could just get out as we're vaccinated, and have vulnerable people shield, with the knowledge that their carers are vaccinated. It was an argument I hadn't heard before and it did get me thinking.

Doesn't make sense to me. I've been staying with my high risk dad for a couple of months and it has basically chained me to the house. He's now had his first shot and hopefully the second will be coming soon. Once he does it frees both of us up to live our lives a little more. If it was me getting vaccinated I'd be able to not worry, but he'd still be stuck sitting at home.

3 hours ago, AndyClarke said:

I was supposed to be in Florida in August last year, kicked the can to August this year and have no idea if I should be expecting to go or not. Lots of scaremongering going on with differing reasoning, I intend to go if i can!

Same here. 

Supposed to go last Easter 

Got most of the money back, but still stood to lose nearly £2k unless we re-booked 

fingers crossed! 

We were meant to be going to Malta last August.  That we cancelled (and got our money back) as we just didn't feel comfortable.  We then booked to go to Turkey in June this year (Istanbul, followed by Marmaris) and I'm not so sure I really fancy going even if restrictions are reduced.  It's just rubbish, but I guess a few UK city breaks or road trip may have to suffice if it is relatively safe and we're able.  Whether I can persuade my friends to cancel yet again however is another story.  

Edited by trekka

I work everyday with 100's of other people and take that risk, it's an economic reason I work,  for my employer, the government and myself. When it comes to my holidays, family, friends and relaxation (holidays) then the government are telling me it's too risky........they can **** off , I have had enough of this total bollox . 

I have not booked anything yet because the uncertainty caused by these rambling idiots, our leaders, means flights are hard to come by and expensive.

Edited by tinker
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

You go on holiday after having your second dose, you pick it up but have no idea because you are vaccinated. You bring it back and pass it on to someone who hasn’t had their second dose yet (maybe not even their first dose based on which group they fall into) then they get unwell and die. That’s why I won’t risk it just yet. I’d rather have a domestic holiday at a place with accommodation spaces out and good isolation controls, there’s still an element of risk but it’s much much more controllable. 

Hear what you are saying, But a domestic holiday has no pre test or return test, many people in same place . Going abroad you have to test before going out and test before coming back into circulation. Safer than going to the shop IMO

Â