Villa hard men

sheepyvillian

Seen something like this on Twitter, thought I'd start a thread. 

We have had our share of tough players.  Back in the day we had, Mike Pejic, Leighton Phillips, but my favourite has to be Garry Thompson, or  has we affectionately called him, Bruno. I remember his tangles with Steve Walsh of Leicester, two tough men giving no quarter. Neale cooper was another, boy, did he like a tackle. Such a shame he didn't replicate his Aberdeen form for us.

Eamonn Deacy  was a wicked tackler they nicknamed him "Psycho"

George Curtis and Steve McMahon took no prisoners either.

We have always had them in our teams......sadly in recent times, we seem to think we can do without.

Edited by TRO

Alan Evans, McGrath, Teale?  Seem to remember Kevin Gage never shirked a tackle either.

Not many opposition defenders got the better of Carew in a tussle, but wouldn’t say he was a hard man.  No doubt John Fashanu could handle himself - awoooooga!

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

We have always had them in our teams......sadly in recent times, we seem to think we can do without.

Steve McMahon was a fine player, I remember when he came from Everton, my Dad was gushing about him. One prisoner he didn't manage to capture, Noel Blake. Now, TRO, that was has fierce has derby's get. I don't think their has been a tougher side than Blues had then, Hartford, Van den Hawe, Gayle and that little shit, Robert Hopkins. Imagine a head butt off Noel Blake, fair play to McMahon, though, he didn't make a drama out of it

Tough, tough, men in them days. 

5 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Alan Evans, McGrath, Teale?  Seem to remember Kevin Gage never shirked a tackle either.

Not many opposition defenders got the better of Carew in a tussle, but wouldn’t say he was a hard man.  No doubt John Fashanu could handle himself - awoooooga!

What a horrible team that Wimbledon were. I don't care what anyone says, they never even attempted to try and play. Nothing but bully's, whose only weapon was intimidation. As for Fashanu, it was unforgivable how he turned his back on his brother Justin, when he needed him most , I know things were a little different then, but your own blood.

I nearly forgot he played for us, that's how crap he was. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, TRO said:

So sad that Deacy died at such a young age. He was a proper footballer who you felt appreciated playing on such a stage. Apparently when he left, he returned to working in the family greengrocers. 

• Like 1

Different era but in recent times Benteke was certainly no pushover, Jedinak even Tammy handled himself in Championship

Then who could forget Hutton taking out 2 blues players in one tackle or taking both Berahino balls in one swift movement 😂

21 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

What a horrible team that Wimbledon were. I don't care what anyone says, they never even attempted to try and play. Nothing but bully's, whose only weapon was intimidation. As for Fashanu, it was unforgivable how he turned his back on his brother Justin, when he needed him most , I know things were a little different then, but your own blood.

I nearly forgot he played for us, that's how crap he was. 

I laugh every time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Seen something like this on Twitter, thought I'd start a thread. 

We have had our share of tough players.  Back in the day we had, Mike Pejic, Leighton Phillips, but my favourite has to be Garry Thompson, or  has we affectionately called him, Bruno. I remember his tangles with Steve Walsh of Leicester, two tough men giving no quarter. Neale cooper was another, boy, did he like a tackle. Such a shame he didn't replicate his Aberdeen form for us.

Somebody, I think it was Bruce Grobbelaar, said Garry Thompson was the toughest striker he ever played against. 

2 hours ago, kwoktolai said:

I started following Villa from the Nineties and I could not name anyone in particular as the hard man type, possibly Mellberg or Shaun Teale at a push.

May be Geroge Boateng the Iron Jaw?

I was going to suggest Boateng but he blew it with his hissy fit at the end of season awards when they jokingly suggested he’d won goal of the season! 

I think in recent years our whole squad has been pretty powderpuff 

special mentions to Dion for that legendary headbutt and didn’t Joey Gudjonnson like to put a foot in? 

Â