Villa hard men

sheepyvillian

3 hours ago, veloman said:

George Curtis !!!! You must be nearly as old as me !!  Remember when we signed him from Coventry - made a big difference to Villa's defence IMO

did he replace Dick Edwards the guitar playing Center back?

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Yes - I think so . It is such a long time ago but I think he played at No. 5 and Fred Turnbull at 6. Poss Brian Godfrey at 4. On thinking about it, Ian Ross comes into the equation but just can't remember - Ross may have been a bit later. 

The ones I've seen:

Allan Evans

Neale Cooper

Shaun Teale

Peter Withe.

Just about saw at a very early age:

Andy Lochhead.

And the king of Villa hardmen, doubtful seen by anyone on here, the legendary Frank Barson.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, veloman said:

Yes - I think so . It is such a long time ago but I think he played at No. 5 and Fred Turnbull at 6. Poss Brian Godfrey at 4. On thinking about it, Ian Ross comes into the equation but just can't remember - Ross may have been a bit later. 

I remember seeing Dick Edwards playing at Villa Park for Torquay. I asked my dad why they were booing him. I must have been six or seven.

^^^^ Yep , he went to Torquay after us. My main memory of Torquay is when we thrashed 'em 5 - 0 (was it?) at home. Brian Little burst on to the scene - assisted to great extent by Andy  Lochhead (who was our King !!!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Think he did. George Curtis was captain of the side that got to the final of the 71 league cup  wasn't he. I'm pretty sure Ian Ross replaced him as captain and Chris Nicholl replaced him in the team. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PaulC said:

Think he did. George Curtis was captain of the side that got to the final of the 71 league cup  wasn't he. I'm pretty sure Ian Ross replaced him as captain and Chris Nicholl replaced him in the team. 

Godfrey was captain that day, Curtis wasn't in the side.

On 16/04/2020 at 18:13, sheepyvillian said:

What a horrible team that Wimbledon were. I don't care what anyone says, they never even attempted to try and play. Nothing but bully's, whose only weapon was intimidation. As for Fashanu, it was unforgivable how he turned his back on his brother Justin, when he needed him most , I know things were a little different then, but your own blood.

I nearly forgot he played for us, that's how crap he was. 

John Fashanu doesn't get nearly enough abuse for how he treated his own brother. A hard man physically, but ultimately a coward.

Of the players I've seen live... I caught a bit of Shaun Teale, but really the only "hard men" I remember well are players like Dion Dublin, John Carew, Chris Sutton and Olof Mellberg, who I'm sure could take most people in a fight, but weren't traditional hard man.

In recent years, the thing I've enjoyed the most is watching two-bit "hard men" try and fail to end Jack Grealish's career. I'd say Grealish is one of the hardest footballers I've watched in a long time for some of the challenges he's brushed off. Being hard is more about what you can take than what you can dish out, and Grealish excels in that department.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

In recent years, the thing I've enjoyed the most is watching two-bit "hard men" try and fail to end Jack Grealish's career. I'd say Grealish is one of the hardest footballers I've watched in a long time for some of the challenges he's brushed off. Being hard is more about what you can take than what you can dish out, and Grealish excels in that department.

Fully agree with this, you dont have to kick people to be a hard man. Look at Maradona some of tackles on him were GBH but he still got up. Grealish takes a beating each game physically and mentally because opposition fans already hate him 😂

22 hours ago, TRO said:

Stan " The Wham" Lynn was another no nonsense operator.....as was John Sleeuenhoek.

Sleeuenhoek and Dick Edwards was a meaty pairing in my first games at Villa Park

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, smg said:

Sleeuenhoek and Dick Edwards was a meaty pairing in my first games at Villa Park

Didn't Tulip leave for the Noses before Dick Edwards was signed? I seem to remember Lew Chatterley and Fred Turnbull, playing with Dick quite often.... 

image.jpeg.fd6c5f78c0738cbfcdfe522905d66b62.jpeg

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Fully agree with this, you dont have to kick people to be a hard man. Look at Maradona some of tackles on him were GBH but he still got up. Grealish takes a beating each game physically and mentally because opposition fans already hate him 😂

He does slap the floor with his hand every time he is fouled as if he has broken his leg. Scares the hell out of everyone. Gets players booked too which is why we have played 10 men so often this season.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Â