Villa hard men

sheepyvillian

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

It's funny you should mention the booking. He was far too laid back to be getting involved in any on the field shenanigans. He was elegance personified, even on the most muddy of surfaces. I still remember vividly that wonderful hat- trick against QPR at Highbury. 

Without doubt, my favourite player of all time.

One of the best, No doubt.

Over shadowed a bit, by Trevor Francis at the time.....but Brian was Brilliant, a fine chap too.

25 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

I don’t think traditionally we’ve been a ‘hard’ team, we’ve had some solid players namely defenders but that goes with the territory. If I’d have to say one from recent time Hutton always looked like he gave as good as he got, also remember Alan Thompson here for a little while think he was quite solid.

I think we have had our moments......Ron Saunders teams ( he built a few) was not easily out muscled, but not dirty either.

I think when your Mantra is 110% work rate, it can appear you are a tough outfit, without actually being so.

Being " at it" for 90 minutes wears teams down and gives a perception of being tough.

On 17/04/2020 at 12:09, TRO said:

I remember a story about Wimbledon.....They were always playing pranks on new comers. The latest was cutting ties in the dressing room.

Some player asked Vinnie to cut the tie of Mick Harford who had just joined......Vinnie said " you can cut that one your ****ing self"

Mick was a genuine hard case.

sorry guys....i know what I am doing wrong now.....clicking a reply,instead of save....... when in fact ,I was just correcting a typo.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

One of the best, No doubt.

Over shadowed a bit, by Trevor Francis at the time.....but Brian was Brilliant, a fine chap too.

Different types of players. I actually think Brian was more skilful than Francis. But Francis was physically stronger. Both tremendous players, shame Francis wasted his early career with the unwashed 😊

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Different types of players. I actually think Brian was more skilful than Francis. But Francis was physically stronger. Both tremendous players, shame Francis wasted his early career with the unwashed 😊

I don't know....both inside forwards for me.....Trevor could play the wing too.

But you are right Trevor was a bit more robust.....Brian a bit more "will o' the wisp/Jinky"

both great players.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John said:

Exactly. That hat trick was simply brilliant and it was really a special night at Highbury. My favourite Villa player of all time too. I got to tell him recently at a book signing and said, that he probably heard that a lot. "Not these days" he said with a smile. Those goals and the two at Old Trafford in the final, were Brian at his very best. For those of us that were lucky enough to be there, he will always walk on water! 

Just reading that brings a tear to the eye. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TRO said:

Do you remember Dennis Smith at Stoke?......must have broken every bone in his body....some more than once.

Maurice Setters probably broke a few bones at Stoke too, but not his own. 😉 I think he played one of his last league games against us for Charlton in the season that we were relegated to Division 3. More recently Terry Hurlock of Millwall is another "enforcer" worth mentioning.

• Like 1

On 20/04/2020 at 13:29, meregreen said:

Francis was the original diver - gifted yes but would throw himself on the floor at every opportunity.

• Like 2

On 17/04/2020 at 12:09, TRO said:

I remember a story about Wimbledon.....They were always playing pranks on new comers. The latest was cutting ties in the dressing room.

Some player asked Vinnie to cut the tie of Mick Harford who had just joined......Vinnie said " you can cut that one your ****ing self.

Mick was a genuine hard case.

Hi Paul,  Guess who sat behind me three times last two season's at Port Vale, Walsall & Northampton all home games ;) (Big Mick Harford) he is Luton' Town's  "Head Of Recruitment)

Never spoke to him though mate, Even though my aunt lives in area (Hertfordshire/Harpenden) & supports Luton Town :)

Edited by Villan4Life

The League and European Cup winning team didnt have what is considered a hard man as such in the Midfield.  McKnaught and Evans were often quoted as being the hardest pair of center backs and Withe up front could throw himself around.

The Midfield were grafters, skilful grafters at that, Bremenr never stopped and tackled the shit out of the other side, Mortimer organised and helped turn defense to attack quickly and then you had the sublime skill of Cowans.  All could tackle and hold their own but were not hard men as such.  Even Cowans tackled like a demon.

Not sure if Morley or Shaw tackled anyone :) . But of course they had other skills

• Like 1

Peter Withe could certainly put himself about.

I well remember that Super Cup game when Barcelona tried to physically murder us. He knocked one of their defenders out off the ball, top quality stuff.

McGrath, Withe and Evans were the harder men from when I followed Villa .      McGrath was amazing with his dodgy knees and didn't really train!

Cropley always got stuck in, up here, at Arsenal ( perhaps leading up to his broken leg not once but twice?) and then with Villa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, newhavenhibby said:

McGrath, Withe and Evans were the harder men from when I followed Villa .      McGrath was amazing with his dodgy knees and didn't really train!

Cropley always got stuck in, up here, at Arsenal ( perhaps leading up to his broken leg not once but twice?) and then with Villa.

To this day, we still haven't forgiven Ally Robertson.  I used to love watching Cropley. 

• Like 2

On 23/04/2020 at 15:17, NIVillan said:

The League and European Cup winning team didnt have what is considered a hard man as such in the Midfield.  McKnaught and Evans were often quoted as being the hardest pair of center backs and Withe up front could throw himself around.

The Midfield were grafters, skilful grafters at that, Bremenr never stopped and tackled the shit out of the other side, Mortimer organised and helped turn defense to attack quickly and then you had the sublime skill of Cowans.  All could tackle and hold their own but were not hard men as such.  Even Cowans tackled like a demon.

Not sure if Morley or Shaw tackled anyone :) . But of course they had other skills

Shaw was a master at keeping the ball....which in a way is a defensive mannerism as it denies the opposition the ball, so they can't do anything.....maybe this skill was over looked by some.....fine, fine player.

very rarely seen him caught on the ball.

Morley was an out and out winger, but there again, not caught in possession to be dispossessed as much as the current ones.

On 23/04/2020 at 15:17, NIVillan said:

I would say Paul McGrath was also a bit of a hardman.  Not much got past him and he played on dodgy knees most of his career.

In his own way he was......certainly no shrinking violet.

He seen it all coming......one of the best readers of the game, I have ever seen.

• Like 1

Â