Sporting gadgets and gimmicks

mottaloo

Power balance wristbands - worn by cricketers, that had a hologram in them, to "enhance performance blah blah blah"

Snoods 🙄

Kinesio tape for injured muscles that you'd see plastered on quad muscles, lower backs etc.

In my opinion they are no more effect than a placebo one.

Anyone else think of other such gimmicky or fashionable sporting "aids" past or present ?

A positive one:

Couch to 5K

As a phone app and a social activity, my missus has done this one. Hadn’t run since her last P.E. lesson in school in the 80’s. Had to go out and buy some £10 Tesco trainers.

Started running in January, now regularly doing 5K runs.

• Like 4

On 04/03/2020 at 13:29, chrisp65 said:

A positive one:

Couch to 5K

As a phone app and a social activity, my missus has done this one. Hadn’t run since her last P.E. lesson in school in the 80’s. Had to go out and buy some £10 Tesco trainers.

Started running in January, now regularly doing 5K runs.

Was just talking to a guy at work the other day who a couple of us had commented looked like he'd lost a bit of weight.   He said this app and a calorie counter app had helped him lose 50 lbs. in a year.  Same as your missus, had never been a runner.  No special diet, just made sure not to exceed daily calorie limit and used a little will power.

• Like 1

For the past 4 weeks due to me wearing bad shoes and being a slappy flat footed bastard I have had a limp and really bad pain. Couple that with some bad stuff going on at home, I haven't been able to exercise and my adherence to no shit food during the week has gone out the window. Weight is gradually going up. 

Those wrist strap thingies that tell you how many steps you have taken.FFS,if I say I walked half a mile,you have a rough idear how far I have walked.If I say I just took 3296 steps, what does that tell you...........Sweet FA

8 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Those wrist strap thingies that tell you how many steps you have taken.FFS,if I say I walked half a mile,you have a rough idear how far I have walked.If I say I just took 3296 steps, what does that tell you...........Sweet FA

I mean, the absolute vast vast majority of those things will also give you the distance. They don't just tell you steps, unless it's a basic pedometer from about 1992

These new NIKE Vaporfly 4% that have been used to erase every marathon record known to man.

Will be banned before long at competitions and apparently more than just a gimmick as they apparently shaves 4 minutes on average off your marathon running times.

Bildresultat för nike vaporfly 4 flyknit bannedBildresultat för nike vaporfly 4 flyknit banned

Â