Ratings & Reactions: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/02/20 at 23:59

OK, so ratings and reactions.

I think my reactions are just completely numb. Has a Villa side - even in the dark days of 2015/6  - ever thrown in the towel so early and easily and made so little effort to compete in a game? Not sure but this was so awful I can’t even get angry about it.

Ratings - I didn’t rate anyone in the game tbh but Reina arguably kept the numbers of goals down so it goes to him again. As for the manager, I didn’t really detect his influence on the game at all so I suppose that counts as very poor.

Ref gets poor for failing to protect Jack, like they all fail.

• Like 1

Seeing as as a poor team like Southampton with a terrible home record and 3 first team players out battered us for most of today's game, I'm going to avoid taking any interest in the final next weekend and will occupy my time doing something else. At least my weekend won't be ruined. Feel sorry for the fans who have tickets because the team isn't giving them any reason to be optimistic. 

Only a club like us could spend £150mil and just look bloody dire every single week. We haven't even reached average levels most of the season.

18 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Misguided is backing a piss poor manager who looses almost every week - where are these good performances you speak of? 

We beat Norwich comfortably that's it.  

His tactics are poor, recruitment poor, motivating poor. 

...and that was a Norwich team ravaged by injuries that day 🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Garbage.  Knew we were in trouble when lawro predicted a win. Cant win away and all of our hard games are at home. We cant beat good teams either. We are in huge trouble, odds on to go down. Any excitement  for next week has gone it could be a thrashing. I hope purslow has a plan because relegation and the FFP issues are not a good combination. We could be back in the championship for  a long time. Gone up too soon in hindsight. By and large championship players and manager and that is after spending 140 million in the summer which is scary. Where do we go from here. Deano its over to you mate.  Fed up of seeing Villa lose in the Premier League virtually every week, it isn't fun.

Sorry, I don't agree with that.....when is there a right time......our Motto is " Prepared" is that just lip service.

We have been the architect of our own demise, by playing naive Football.....In a nutshell for me.

Trying to emulate the little pockets of success, we managed to muster, in the championship and the manager trying to cling to his holy grail of Brentford style football.....it won't work in the Prem.

He is struggling, because his theories are being undone by opposing teams and he doesn't know which way to turn.....In short, he is out of his depth.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ouchmefoot said:

they double or triple marked Jack out the game or fouled him if 1 v 1.

That should create space elsewhere. I never counted, did they have 13 players?

They knew....no one else is a threat.......even Merson said that on Sky.

**** me the world knows what we are like.....its the such widely known views of us, is what's so vexing.

26 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

AEG went off after a clash with their centre back. I haven't seen it back but was it a red card? 

The cup final next week is a welcome break but we have a terrible run of fixtures. Looking forward to having McGinn back. That midfield is really lacking energy. 

That midfield is lacking a hell of a lot more than just energy. I'd say it was missing some midfielders.

Smith, Terry etc need to have a balls out gloves off discussion with the squad as soon as training starts on Sunday or Monday. Regardless of whether their heads are at Wembley or not. I've not seen this lack of fight since we got relegated. 

We have good owners with money, good staff and a capped figure of 30k season ticket holders. Yet we are still f****** it up. Only at Villa

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

he can be excused one.

To be fair, Southampton had a gameplan, and it worked excellently because everyone else was tripe.

They successfully frustrated him, I get on his back sometimes, however today you could see the frustration got to him and affected his perfoemance a little.

Really can't blame him today.

One example of our " composure" is when Reina passed it to Mings relatively under pressure, then instead of going forward or finding an easier outlet, Mings gave it right back to Reina, under even MORE pressure!

Some of our players look lost ffs.

ALSO, not for the first time i've mentioned, for ALL the good Reina does, sometimes he needs to remember he is in the Premier League with a struggling team, not in La Liga ffs.

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

I’m afraid the Coach needs to consider his position. 

We have to give teams in the bottom half a game, and recent trips here, Bournemouth, Brighton ( Fulham) and Watford have all been

(a) very poor and 

(b) identically so.

I have had, and have, no issue with getting beat, no issue with mistakes, no issue with inconsistency.

I can by and large accept pretty much all tactics, even when they are hard to fathom.

But we simply must get a level of desire, commitment, and hunger from the team every week, and if the Coach can’t bring that about - and I’m afraid it appears he can’t, we need someone who can.

There is another argument, tgat the players aren’t up to it. But I’ve seen enoughover the season to think they are.

I think you are right Terry, Dean has to be responsible for the attititude, Motivation, desire call it what you will.......successful managers get credited for it, so they have to take responsibility for it when it evaporates.

I do have issue with Mistakes, errors and inconsistency, because I think it derides in part from the training camp and the discipline that manifests from there.

I have seen enough of many things this season that questions my belief in Dean's overall philosophy,( I accept only part of it, the other is lacking) and I think the situation, will grow legs.

He clearly does not know what to do to reverse this.

• Like 1

Just had my son dropped off after the game. The Dad who took him is a Southampton supporter said Grealish will be out at the end of the season, by far our best player and looked like he had no trust or faith in any of the players around him. I couldn't disagree from what I saw.

1 minute ago, bielesibub said:

Just had my son dropped off after the game. The Dad who took him is a Southampton supporter said Grealish will be out at the end of the season, by far our best player and looked like he had no trust or faith in any of the players around him. I couldn't disagree from what I saw.

Only other player on the pitch today Jack seemed to have some faith in was Samatta, who i also felt sorry for today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

That's the worst part.  We are supposed to be fighting for our lives and they look liked they were playing a preseason and were 3-0 up and just cruising.....it was a f@cking disgrace!

something is clearly wrong behind the scenes at BMH......it will all come out in the wash.

• Like 3

I still think one of our biggest failings since last season was not replacing Whelan and/or Jedinak. We needed a experienced  but still mobile and dynamic defensive midfielder the right side of 30 in the summer, and really needed to get one in January. We instead brought in Danny Drinkwater.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

As much as I hate to say it, i think we need to get someone in to replace Dean to give us any sort of chance of staying up. I really really dont want to go back to the Championship.

I agree, but it won't happen.

We said we needed a striker when we was struggling and that was the problem.......the amount of issues we have that are so far reaching.....He has to go....too much is wrong.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I still think one of our biggest failings since last season was not replacing Whelan and/or Jedinak. We needed a experienced  but still mobile and dynamic defensive midfielder the right side of 30 in the summer, and really needed to get one in January. We instead brought in Danny Drinkwater.

Spot on.....them responsible should be shot.

"A stitch in time saves nine" real issues have been ignored or failed to fix.....now this is where we are.

Edited by TRO
  • Sad 1

Â