Ratings & Reactions: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/02/20 at 23:59

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/50936007

Aston Villa boss Dean Smith, speaking to Match of the Day: "We never laid a glove on them in the first 20 minutes. I try to defend the players but today was not good enough. They were miles off it in the first half. A bit better in the second half. It was a game that could have been won but we didn't create enough and didn't defend enough. They were deserved winners.

"Jack Grealish got in behind them right from kick off and then they went long. They were getting shots and we were getting blocks. We can't keep talking about getting good starts. Not starting well is a concern. 

"We can't play that bad again. It gave me a lot of heart seeing them against Tottenham but today was dreadful.

"The fight disappointed me in the first half. There was a bit more fight in the second half. I will take responsibility for the performance because I am the one who picks them."

Article 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/50936007

They won't be playing at Wembley'

Southampton 1-0 Aston Villa

f6ea3c69-98f2-4657-9128-35fca1ac6b38.jpg

Aston Villa

Aston Villa boss Dean Smith, speaking to Sky Sports: "I wanted to see more fight from the players - show me you care. It is the responsibility of any professional footballer but we never did that. Opportunities were few and far between. 

"I am not bothered about the cup final next week, this was our cup final today and we were terrible. Certainly some players have played themselves out of next week."

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, romavillan said:

We played some really good stuff against spurs and deserved at least a point. Not very good, today, poor against Bournemouth, were good before that though. Away we look a different side at the moment. We need to win some home games sharpish.

All the Smith out stuff though I do think is misguided though as it goes. He should stay even if relegated.

21 minutes ago, romavillan said:

We played some really good stuff against spurs and deserved at least a point. Not very good, today, poor against Bournemouth, were good before that though. Away we look a different side at the moment. We need to win some home games sharpish.

All the Smith out stuff though I do think is misguided though as it goes. He should stay even if relegated.

No offence, but are you on some sort of medication?😱

Regards,

VLD.

Ask your nurse to up the dosage mate......

8 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Not at all surprised.

There was something wrong on the touch line all game.

And a lot of inter player/ coach arguing.

CH took his life in his hands debating with some fans at the end.

Couple of punch ups in the crowd - villa fans only - at final whistle.

Its felt very wrong today.

Terry, this has been coming.

Disappointingly, Smith's days may be numbered. These owners will not put up with this sort of performance, considering the investment they have in the club, and the possible future investment they will put in to get them to where they want to be.

It is beginning to look as though the PL is a step too far for him. It's a shame; was a great story, but fairy tales don't often come true. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

Disappointingly, Smith's days may be numbered. These owners will not put up with this sort of performance, considering the investment they have in the club, and the possible future investment they will put in to get them to where they want to be.

It is beginning to look as though the PL is a step too far for him. It's a shame; was a great story, but fairy tales don't often come true. 

It won’t get any better if Pitarch isn’t sent packing as well. 

• Like 2

Â